corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Electrical gremlins

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electrical gremlins
br0k3n

User status: Offline
   1st Jun 08 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car: Corsa C 1.0L 12v 2003

I'm having a problem distinguishing between two dashboard icons. The first is a car with a spanner through it which PUTS THE CAR INTO LIMP MODE WHILE ACTIVE and the other is a picture of the engine and the car DRIVES PERFECTLY while active.

So... spanner light used to come on occassionally when you first start the car. It would go off soon after and never reappear while engine was on. While light was on, acceleration and fuel consumption were hindered.

A few weeks ago the light started coming on intermittently while accelerating.

On Friday we took it for diagnostics and were told the following fault code:

P0335 Crankshaft speed sensor

The same day and, after three weeks of crappy driving due to light/fault, we drove it 80 miles along motorways, A roads, through towns etc (diversion due to M5 accident). ON THIS TRIP THE LIGHT DID NOT COME ON ONCE.

We thought the fault had gone.

The next day, yesterday, my missus tried to drive it on the M5/M6 to Derby and ended up having to be towed back because the ENGINE light came on. Not the car with spanner light we had previously had but the ENGINE light.

Today I drove it to Halfrauds to pick up a Haynes manual and the ENGINE light was on the whole way but the car drove PERFECTLY with no loss of revs or acceleration. We had given it various test drives etc prior to this and the ENGINE light would not shift.

Upon leaving the carpark the ENGINE light had disappeared but, lo and behold, the SPANNER light had returned, intermittently.

*sighs*

Upon getting home I tried to remove the plastic cover as told by Haynes (I didn't buy it - I just read it ) to get access to the crankshaft sensor... WHAT PLASTIC COVER!?!?

Anyway, it get better.

We fired her back up and the light was off. I drove it around the block. No lights, perfect drive.

I switched off and on the engine numerous times. Still no lights.

But... for how bloody long?

Now tell me to go change the crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, MAF, idle control valve, lambda sensor etc.

I have seriously had enough of this Corsa. I am not handing it over to Vauxhall so they can anal rape my wallet.
br0k3n

1st Jun 08 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update:

I've noticed a pattern in the spanner light.

Basically if you rev it over around 2.5k (in neutral) the light comes on for around 20 seconds then goes off.

I tried this for a few minutes and then it stopped coming on. I even managed to get it to the red line without the light coming on.
pow
Premium Member

1st Jun 08 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you changed the thing that is throwing the fault code?
br0k3n

1st Jun 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Have you changed the thing that is throwing the fault code?

No, because it's a Sunday!

But I want to clear about the problem and solution before I go buying parts.
pow
Premium Member

1st Jun 08 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its thrown a fault code i'd be replacing the part that its wants replacing first
luke85

1st Jun 08 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be carefull about blaming the crankshaft sensor, some engines throw this code up everytime you do the test if the engine isnt running. Was that the only code?
br0k3n

1st Jun 08 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
Be carefull about blaming the crankshaft sensor, some engines throw this code up everytime you do the test if the engine isnt running. Was that the only code?

Only code, yeah.

I forgot to mention the only symptoms are rough idling and sometimes, maybe four times now, the engine has cut out while rolling to a stop at junctions (no juddering, just total loss of power but restarted first turn of key).
James_H

1st Jun 08 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is the crank sensor, very common
br0k3n

1st Jun 08 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jahunt
It is the crank sensor, very common

Where on earth is this sensor located on a Corsa C 1.0L 12v lump?

New Poll