corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car being gay - some electrics and emissions fail

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car being gay - some electrics and emissions fail
James@CCC

User status: Offline
18th Jul 08 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car failed its mot on emissions yesterday. I have no idea whats causing it, it got a new lamda sensor and the cats only say 3 years old. what else could it be? (c20xe btw)

Also a couple of the electrics are being gay (could this in anyway be linked to why the emissions are bad). The passenger door speaker doesnt work, and the locks gay too. Also the fan doesnt seem to turn on, i changed the thermostat cos i thought it might be that.

Is there a common demoninator here, or just lots of little stupid problems? Any ideas on how to fix anything?
luke85

18th Jul 08 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wont be related to your speaker or locks but what was then engine temperature when they did the test if the fan didnt come on? what were the results of the test?

[Edited on 18-07-2008 by luke85]
James@CCC

18th Jul 08 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah, interesting point!

I dont know what temperature it was at, my print out doesnt say, but its results were;

Fast Idle Test
CO 0.52 = Fail
HC 60 = Pass
Lambda 1.013 = Pass

2. Fast Idle Test
CO 0.31 = Fail
HC 140 = Pass
Lambda 1.024 = Pass

Natural Idle Speed
CO 0.42 = Pass

So it looks like its just CO when fast idle, whatever that means

So it could be the fan? Why might the fan not be coming on? Is it electrical or could it be other things?

What else can i do to help squeeze it through? Would an oil change archieve anyting?
luke85

18th Jul 08 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are lucky you havent blown the headgasket if its been ticking over without a fan on it, from now on whenever your stood put your heaters on hot and speed 4, that will keep the temperature under control.

Its probably the fan switch thats gone because thats the most common one, its at the bottom of the radiator at the drivers side. unplug it and bridge the pins together (with the engine running) and the fan should come on, if it does then the switch is knakared.

As for the emissions it looks to me like it could be a problem with the cat again but im not really an expert here, the lambda sensor looks ok and you dont have unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust. was it a brand new cat? a genuine one? driven through any deep puddles since you had it?
James@CCC

18th Jul 08 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was the switch! Brilliant, least i know what the problem is now tho

How ever, i cant get the old switch out, ive tried unscrewing it and it just keeps turning but not undoing
luke85

18th Jul 08 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its quite a fine thread so can take a while to come out, are you sure its not coming?
James@CCC

18th Jul 08 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea im positive. its just spinning around, not coming. its come a bit and its looser but now its just not coming anymore, the thread must be stuck.

anyway to get it out or has this now become a new radiator situation?
luke85

18th Jul 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your 100% sure its not coming then yes its a new radiator, would be very unusual though
James@CCC

18th Jul 08 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

urghh this is just getting worse and worse. im just gonna get some grips around it and start yanking. this has been my worst month of car ownership ever
luke85

18th Jul 08 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just keep turning it mate!
James@CCC

18th Jul 08 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive spent probably an hour turning it. it moved an inital millimeter so its dripping and i can see the washer. but since then it refuses to move further, just round, and round and round.

anyway i can pull it out while i turn?

New Poll