corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.6 16v Sport Brakes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 16v Sport Brakes
Chris x

User status: Offline
8th Oct 08 at 06:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning guys,

I bought the above car about 2months ago. I was always unsure if the car had ABS or not, so one day in the rain I slammed the brakes on and the wheels locked (i have now found out that the cars 1999 + before didnt come with ABS), anyway...the rear wheels locked and the rear of the car started to slide out...I was concerned about this as my previous corsa never did this, but it was a wet day and thought nothing else of it. The other day doing 50-60mph a car pulled out on me and I hit the brakes...the rear wheels started to lock out and the rear of the car was swerving. This was on a sunny day, no wet on the road e.t.c.

I have heard that there is some sort of valve which puts braking 70% and 30% at the rear? I bought the car from a garage and its still under warranty but there about 80miles away and they want the car back up there. So I was wondering if its normal/easy fix I will just do it myself and fork out for it (proberly cheaper and less hasstle)...Any of you guys had this problem?

The handbrake only takes a few clicks to stop the car + its just had new disks and pads on the front.

Thanks

Chris
carllocorsa

8th Oct 08 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you lowerd it mate?
Chris x

8th Oct 08 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, totally standard atm, has wide 15's but thats it...
luke85

8th Oct 08 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its just had new discs and pads on the front then they might take a week or 2 to bed in properly, which could be why the back is sharper and locking up first.

Or there is the brake bias valve under the car which can be adjusted to set the brake balance. It has a spring going to the rear axle and if you can get under the car without jacking it up you should see the spring. It should have a tiny amount of tension on it if there is no weight in the boot (at normal ride height). If the spring is stretched then it will send more braking to the rear.

Someone will probably have a picture of what you need to look for
Cossie

8th Oct 08 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the handbrake should take 8 clicks only and cannot move up anymore if it less or more need handbrake adjustament
Chris x

8th Oct 08 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new brakes have done 3000miles, so I doubt its them, sounds like that bias valve. Any idea how much a new one would be? The handbrake is around 2 clicks, think it will go up to 4...but 90% sure thats it!
Stokie Dave

8th Oct 08 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine does this, lowered though, part of the fun lol

New Poll