corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » x14xe engine slight knocking missing like crazy when under strain ideas??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author x14xe engine slight knocking missing like crazy when under strain ideas??
SRI-LEE

User status: Offline
12th Mar 09 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi as title i have a 95 model vauxhall corsa sri 1.4 16 valve ecotech and tonight just realised a slight nocking noise from my engine when you rev it on and off around 3000 rpm its run spot on upto now never had a problem and since notcing this on my way home its starting to miss like crazy and power is flat as a pancake when the engine is under straighn and you put anymore than a little touch on the throttle itl just miss for ages through teh revs until your past 3k ish i know its hard to diagnose just off words but has anyone expreinced a similar problem? the car hasnt been using any oil e.t.c but i do think its due a service it hasnt had one for a while but its just funny as all this has happend when this nocking noise has appeared sorry for the essay any ideas be great! thanks lee
SRI-LEE

13th Mar 09 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any ideas?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 08:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did give an answer but realised you have posted in the wrong section

[Edited on 13-03-2009 by IvIarkgraham]
SRI-LEE

13th Mar 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok sorry well iv orderd all genuine head gasket kit head bolts and full service items thanks
AK

13th Mar 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

headgasket

Bit severe to whip the head off without knowing the problem Do a compression test to rule that out. If the compression is fine, DONT TOUCH THE HG. If it isnt broken, dont fix it.

Have you done a diagnostic check? (paper clip etc) Sounds like a buggered lambda. But could be faulty MAP sensor or any other array of wee pesky buggers.

Dont think it would be cured by a simple service. Plugs dont tend to just 'fail' on a low end NA car just like that.

EDIT: Never read the knocking bit... maybe worry about that more than the not reving !!! You car maybe in limp home mode or something too. CEL on?

[Edited on 13-03-2009 by AK]
AK

13th Mar 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... and the knocking noise....

top or bottom of engine ? on idle, or under load only?
SRI-LEE

13th Mar 09 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not sure on that yet im going to take the head off on sunday see if theres any excess play in the pistons to cause piston slap, and then if all is ok get head skimmed new valve stem seals e.t.c do the lot give it a full service as its way over due one then see if i can still here the noise it was more of a small rattle around 3000rpm when just revving it you couldnt hear it when going along
AK

14th Mar 09 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eh

Why is piston slap such a buzzword on here just now?!

Try the easy things first....

A rattle at 3000rpm is prob just an exhaust heatshield. You dont want to go whipping off the head for no reason.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Mar 09 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the piston probably wont move if your big end shells have gone
SRI-LEE

14th Mar 09 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i know that its just something to check for and im not taking it off for no reason lol the headgasket hasgone on it its using ALOT of water recently and the expansion tank is full of that miging gungy stuff
AK

14th Mar 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so why on earth were you still driving it...

SRI-LEE

14th Mar 09 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not! i drove it home and left it there! im not stupid im taking the head off tomorrow while the gf is at work

all this all happend the night i putthis postup it hasnt been driven since all this happend my theory is the head gasket has gone i know this because it started drinking water like mad and all the sludge in the expansion tank and im taking the theory that the reason its been missing likemad isbecauseall the water is going into the bores causeing the sparkplugs to get wet thus missfire my theory anyway il see the damage tomorrow and update the thread

[Edited on 14-03-2009 by SRI-LEE]
mattievRS

14th Mar 09 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id check the bottom crank pulley and keyway firstly, then look at the crank itself and bottom end shells.
AK

14th Mar 09 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

putting those facts in the original post may have helped then
SRI-LEE

14th Mar 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry lol my bad well going to take the sump off aswell and check everything downbelow time will tell hopefully nothing serious! fingers crossed

New Poll