corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Spec me a Tower

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spec me a Tower
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
1st Jun 09 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm editing 2,000+ 25mB RAW files very often and my laptop grinds to a halt each and every time. It's taking me forever even with 4gB of DDR2.

I've decided I'll create a high-spec box to store all my images on, almost as a server with various post processing tools like Photoshop, Lightroom and so on. I intend on remote connecting to the box and do all the editing from my laptop over the Gigabit network.

Is this possible? I'm using the normal Remote Desktop Connection and the colours aren't wonderful. I'm going to need it to look as if I'm in front of the computer as colours are very important.

Unfortunately, I simply don't have the space to have a desktop in my room although I have other options if this is not possible.

I've been out of the custom-PC phase for some time now, so can someone please spec me a decent PC that'll handle what I chuck at it as quickly as possible?

I'm going to have 1x 1gB or 1x 1.5gB, but I want the option to add another 2-4 drives at a later date. It'll be running Vista but I'll upgrade to the next Windows when it comes out. Can you think of any reason to use XP?

Will I need any fancy graphics card if I'm just editing? No gaming or anything like that.

I'm also after a plain matt black case, almost a 'budget' case. Completely boring. It needs to be very discrete as it's going to stand behind my TV.

Ideally it'd be very quiet too as it'll be in my bedroom, but if this is a problem I can bung it in the loft.

So yeah, please spec me something up using eBuyer for the bits. If you could explain why you chose each part that'd be helpful too.

Cheers lads, if I go with what you design I'll chuck you a few quid as well so I'd appreciate you doing some research and so on.
oceansoul

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 09 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know if you'll get the quality your after using remote connection. might be wrong over gigabit net though

New Poll