corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Bit of help with a Uni Assignment - Hosting options

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bit of help with a Uni Assignment - Hosting options
Aaron

User status: Offline
4th Dec 09 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yo!

I'm writing an assignment about the advantages and disadvantages of hosting a web site both internally and externally for an SME (Small to Medium size Enterprise)

For internally i've got

Advantages

Easy access for maintanance
Not tied into a support/hosting contract
Specific web server hardware and software can be specified
Web site can be connectedto an existing system (or legacy system) within the company.

Disadvantages

High setup costs (hardware, software and bandwidth)
Big responsibility on in-house support staff

Any stupidly obvious ones i've missed off?

[Edited on 04-12-2009 by Aaron]
Neo

4th Dec 09 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off the top of my head so may or may not be useful to you

Benefits would be:

Backups (Meaning redunancy in case of server failure)
Reliability (I would assume that you'd have a redundant line for the network with a different ISP therefore if one fell over you'd have another)
Known levels of Security
Expansion (As some hosts don't have the ability to offer certain services such as PERL, Apache etc)

[Edited on 04-12-2009 by Neo]
Aaron

4th Dec 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think maybe i've been too generic in what i've put so far...being more specific will be better.

Thanks
Dom

4th Dec 09 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Backups could be a disadvantage due to extra cost having an offsite backup incase of fire/complete server fail. Likewise it's an extra cost having a redundant ISP 'pipe', although you could possible load balance with your main 'pipe' during busy periods. Power redundancy is another issue, need to purchase huge UPS' or generators (extreme) which is a big cost.

Like you say though, the company has a huge setup cost for the infrastructure + continous costs (line rentals, employement of professionals to manage the network/servers, hardware/repair costs, leccy bills).
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Dec 09 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Main advantage is connection to existing systems. Hardware and software can be specified if you go for a co-lo type arrangement same as CS has. We bought the server and installed in on their rack.

Disadvantages of hosting in-house are vast, namely the responsibility it brings, the fact every bit of infrastructure needs to be redundant - network, power, HVAC.

New Poll