corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Dropbox

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dropbox
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
14th Dec 09 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I came across a cool little application last week called Dropbox. I was originally looking for a easy-to-setup SVN (Subversion) for a project I have going on with a few friends but this caught my attention so I decided to give it a go.

It's actually meant for sharing files between several computers. For example, you have a 'My Dropbox' on your desktop or whatever and then you can drag and drop files into there. It will then automatically update on any computer you have it installed on. You could be at work and want to copy something to your home PC so you would merely drag the file (or folder) into the Dropbox and it will be sitting there ready for when you get home. It's very quick and synchronizes constantly.

As I said, we were looking for a easy SVN so I was surprised when this actually fitted that task too. As soon as you update a file (or folder) it sends a little notification to every PC you have it open on saying exactly what has been updated. If you're directly editing the file and then it updates it also alerts you and asks if you want to load the newer copy.

I wish I knew about it a while ago to be honest.

Oh and also, there's a sub folder within the 'My Dropbox' folder that's called 'Public'. If you drag a file into there and then right-click > "Copy Public Link" it copies a link you can distributed to anyone (even internet forums) as easy as possible... Such as: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3412308/New%20Text%20Document.txt

I dragged in 100 photos and then copied the link one-by-one to save me uploading each to a image hosting site and so on. It's seriously fookin' useful.

I just thought I'd spread the word. I'm not affiliated with them or anything...
ed

14th Dec 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few of the guys in my office who are collaborating on the same project use Dropbox to share their CAD and other files. Seriously useful stuff!
xa0s
Banned

15th Dec 09 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it's underrated.
James@CCC

15th Dec 09 at 05:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has an iphone app too
James_DT

15th Dec 09 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Dropbox to keep my photos and stuff in sync with my laptop and desktop (so that there's local copies on both, plus an online backup). Pretty handy.
jamied

16th Dec 09 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might install this later and give it a crack sounds v useful
johnhara1

16th Dec 09 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Installing this now.

Be handy to send work docs home.
jamied

16th Dec 09 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

installed works great thx
xa0s
Banned

17th Dec 09 at 03:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They've just e-mailed me saying if I refer people to sign up we both get an additional 250mB of storage so it'd be good for both of us if you sign up using this URL:

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM0MTIzMDg5

You have to actually install it before it issues us with an extra 250mB though.

New Poll