corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » FAO Plumbers - pipes freezing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO Plumbers - pipes freezing
jamesw

User status: Offline
21st Dec 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was pretty cold here last night (-5) anyway got in after work today and noticed when I flushed the toilet something didnt sound right. After that tap in the bathroom sink was a bit erratic - turned it on and water was trickling then all of a sudden it let rip with loads of pressure as if pipe had been blocked - tried kitchen sink and similar so feels to me as if pipes may have frozen slightly.

Anyway me being a numpty realised this is 1st time we have had this problem however an outdoor tap had been fitted in the summer and I have forgotton to follow the instructions of shutting off the indoor stop tap and leaving the tap open.

Anyway have shut it off inside and had the hair dryer out and managed to leave it cracked open outside. Could this have been the cause - is it possible for the ice to flow back in the system so to speak, just wondering if maybe I also have another issue.....

Cheers
Sam
Premium Member

22nd Dec 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've had to wrap our outside tap up for the reasons you have discovered. Unfortunately we don't have an indoor stop valve for that tap only one to open/close the supply to the whole house.
dannymccann

22nd Dec 09 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have an outdoor tap.....what are these precautions we need to take? If it helps we are in a new house that has plastic pipes rather than your usual copper equivalents....
ash_corsa

22nd Dec 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Outside tap jacket!

Danny - water inside a plastic pipe will still freeze mate, if theres no external pipework you should be ok, but best to isolate the tap supply, then open the tap and let any water run out, then whack a tap jacket or equivalent round it.

Just done mine tonight but i dont have a tap jacket, but if theres no water in the pipe it should be okay.
Limecat
Banned

22nd Dec 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water expands at anything below 4 degrees (yes, 4 degress and not minus 4 degrees) so anything you can do to reduce that is of benefit.
dannymccann

23rd Dec 09 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O I see Is it really going to matter that much? My last house didnt have a jacket on the outside tap and the bloke I rented it from was a plumber, and my mum and dads house theyve never bothered?
John

23rd Dec 09 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
Water expands at anything below 4 degrees (yes, 4 degress and not minus 4 degrees) so anything you can do to reduce that is of benefit.

It doesn't, it contracts between 0-4 degrees and expands again at both sides of that.
mattk

23rd Dec 09 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

water is at its most dense at 4 degrees, once it turns to ice it expands by 10% of its volume and when it turns to steam it expands by 1600%

if you can turn it off its best to do so, ours is on at the moment and is fine though, its quite sheltered though, plastic pipes will still freeze and burst
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Dec 09 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
Outside tap jacket!

Danny - water inside a plastic pipe will still freeze mate, if theres no external pipework you should be ok, but best to isolate the tap supply, then open the tap and let any water run out, then whack a tap jacket or equivalent round it.

Just done mine tonight but i dont have a tap jacket, but if theres no water in the pipe it should be okay.

You can also wrap any old clothing/rags around the tap as well, we've been doing this for years and have not had any issues doing this.
ash_corsa

23rd Dec 09 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The pipe lagging used on the proper tap jackets tends to offer more insulation than a shitty old dishcloth but i can see what your saying.
ed

23rd Dec 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tap jacket stops you from looking like a pikey too.
Sam
Premium Member

24th Dec 09 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People judge you based on what you wrap around your tap do they?

New Poll