corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » light fitting help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author light fitting help
corsa-sxi

User status: Offline
11th Jan 10 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically i bought spotlight fixture i want to replace my current single bulb light in my bedroom

These are the existing wires i got

what seems to be 1 earth and 1 red coming from 1 grey wire
then another grey wire splitting into 2

I got this diagram - Do i follow the top bit?

so do i basically wire the same light fixture as existing one?

my new lamp has 1 brown, 1 blue and 1 earth - ps these are wired to a dimmer switch
AlunJ

11th Jan 10 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've no knowledge of dimmer switches, however I've put a few light fittings up and my mums, and it should be as simple as wiring the live (brown) to the red and the neutral (blue) to the grey wiring and then obviously the earth (green & yellow) is straight forward.
C2RL R

11th Jan 10 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are them 2 grey's on the left? is there a single core in each of those? that red will be the switch live (line).
corsa-sxi

11th Jan 10 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The grey wires have 1 copper wire inside, they are both twisted together at the connector at the where it connects to the blue light fitting wire.

do i follow the top diagram? i don't seem to have a live loop and seperate live wire, my brothers bedroom is exactly the same config.
C2RL R

11th Jan 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont always have a loop in/out. it should just be as it already is. you see where your brown and blue are in the photo? connect the new fitting up the same as that.
gtitim

11th Jan 10 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brown on lamp to red in roof,
blue on lamp to the two grey wires,
earth on lamp to green/yellow in roof (that goes nowhere_
scoob
Premium Member

11th Jan 10 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its to late hes dead
corsa-sxi

11th Jan 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically the light came with the 3 wires attached

brown/blue/green

I have a terminal with 4 pairs of connectors that i screw in, so do i follow the top diagram then? and just wire the earth into the middle terminal etc

is it best to turn all power off or just to the upstairs lights at the fuse box when doing this

[Edited on 11-01-2010 by corsa-sxi]
gtitim

11th Jan 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turn off upstairs light circuit - if the light in the room goes out, there's no power.

Then wire it as I said - although I wouldn't try to do it in the dark - wait until daylight.
oceansoul

11th Jan 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH and not trying to sound mean or rude, but you dont exactly sound capable of doing it yourself. Do you not have any sparky mates or anything?
jungle

11th Jan 10 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the two grey wires are neutral and should be in the connector block with the blue wire on the light fitting and the red live should be in the connecter block with the brown live easy as anything
C2RL R

12th Jan 10 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes jungle is correct. you don't even need to turn the power off as you only have a switch live up there. just switch it off and make sure no-one switches it on whilst you are doing it. actually if you aren't competant then switch it all off.
oceansoul

12th Jan 10 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
yes jungle is correct. you don't even need to turn the power off as you only have a switch live up there. just switch it off and make sure no-one switches it on whilst you are doing it. actually if you aren't competant then switch it all off.

But the live coming to the light fitting, then down to the switch will still be live
corsa120

12th Jan 10 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the two extra greys are just part of the loop around the house to me, as long as the two greys are placed on the neutral side it will be fine, thing is with drawings is they are universaland and house are all wired different depending on age/budget etc etc

you could get a choc block/junction box and pull the wires into the loft or even use that fitting in the loft and send the wires for the light fitting into the loft and it would be a simple case of adding the blue to nuetral side and brown to where the brown is now live side

if the light fits that origional white fitting already on the ceiling you only need to reconnect the 3 wire from the light that you took off and you wont need to use the connecter block

[Edited on 12-01-2010 by corsa120]
corsa-sxi

12th Jan 10 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah, new light wont fit the existing one

putting wires into connector block aint a hassle any way, i was just making sure that
Red > Brown
Blue > 2 grey
Earth > Earth

will do it on the weekend when i can turn all power off and see what im doin
C2RL R

13th Jan 10 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R

But the live coming to the light fitting, then down to the switch will still be live

and which live is that smart arse? show me a permanent live in that ceiling rose and i'll admit you are correct.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easy to do mate

just take your time
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no entirely sure now but i think i removed the rose
jungle

13th Jan 10 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best of just switching of the power from the main fusebox that way no shocks no fire hazards just plain sailing!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Jan 10 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd turn the power off too if i was you just incase! i was stripping out my bathroom and didnt turn the power for the shower off

i'll never forget that again!

New Poll