corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Keep needing to Jump Start car- battery fine

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Keep needing to Jump Start car- battery fine
LukeD

User status: Offline
30th Jan 10 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over the last month with the colder weather ive been having to jump start the car every time of use.

I dont use the car daily- the last time i used it was 3days ago. took it for a 20minute drive of which the display showed the battery charging up to eventually full and car drove fine; no problems

3days later and ive tryed to start it again and its dead. Surley if it was the alternator then wouldnt the car not start at all and not charge battery up?

The battery as been tested and its fine.

Or is it the norm for a 20year old car not being used daily in this weather?

opinions would be great! ta
gazza808

30th Jan 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my corsa did the same, battery was funked, tested fine, but swapped it for a new one no problem,

or it's some thing draining battery.
alan-g-w

30th Jan 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A fucked battery will still take a charge, just won't hold it for long. Sounds like a fucked battery to me anyway.

[Edited on 30-01-2010 by alan-g-w]
Rich H

30th Jan 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup I had a very similar issue with my van - although that was being used on a daily basis, it would die at virtually every job I went to - sometimes starting off a jump pack, and sometimes being so flat it struggled even off proper jump leads (very embarassing at clients houses too!)

Battery had been tested and showed fine, but replaced it anyway, and touch wood, for the past fortnight since I changed it it's been fine.
AlexW

30th Jan 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
A fucked battery will still take a charge, just won't hold it for long. Sounds like a fucked battery to me anyway.

[Edited on 30-01-2010 by alan-g-w]

Not always, Most likly they dont hold charge at all, if i got a multi meter on my old batt, switch off the engine and the voltage would drop straight to 9v ish.

Sounds like eather a lack of use (Starting a car takes A LOT of charge from the battery) or indeed a dud battery. Maybe take it on a nice long trip and see if it will start the next day.
mattievRS

30th Jan 10 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

itll be the cold crank plates in the battery.New battery will be needed

[Edited on 30-01-2010 by m17tty]

New Poll