corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » spunky stuff on dipstick and oil cap

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author spunky stuff on dipstick and oil cap
Root

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 10 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dean101287
So lets tell him to change the head gasket just in case isit? Why doesn't he chage the piston rings just incase aswell?

Back to the topic...Do whats said above and change the oil/filter and take it for a good run and monitor oil/water levels.

cus the rings are more than an hour job and cost a lot more. A head gasket costs £14 and £14 for the bolts "is it"
dean101287

3rd Mar 10 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A head set costs £60 and timing kit costs £65 a water pump costs £25, Oil and filter costs £15 plus if he hasnt got the knowledge he's got to pay laybour and you must be some kind of super mechanic to do a head gasket change on a x16xe in an hour.

Or your full of shit. I think I know what one TBH.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
A head set costs £60 and timing kit costs £65 a water pump costs £25, Oil and filter costs £15 plus if he hasnt got the knowledge he's got to pay laybour and you must be some kind of super mechanic to do a head gasket change on a x16xe in an hour.

well we're not talking about sets that are rip offs. Why buy pre-tensioners and cambelts when doing a head gasket, also why the oil filter and water pump? if it's just the gasket leaking, why the need for all this? there isn't. anyway mate, don't listen to this dickhead, find out if it needs fixing now cus if it does, it isn't a big job and it's cheap to do now rather than later.

Well, I havn't done one on a x16, but it'd be more or less an hour.

[Edited on 03-03-2010 by Root]
dean101287

3rd Mar 10 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So after all this you have not even done one on an x16xe? F

Do me a favour and when or if you ever do, let me know how close to an hour it takes you.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So after all this you have not even done one on an x16xe? F

Do me a favour and when or if you ever do, let me know how close to an hour it takes you.

k, whatever
Terry12

3rd Mar 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
quote:

well we're not talking about sets that are rip offs. Why buy pre-tensioners and cambelts when doing a head gasket, also why the oil filter and water pump? if it's just the gasket leaking, why the need for all this? there isn't. anyway mate, don't listen to this dickhead, find out if it needs fixing now cus if it does, it isn't a big job and it's cheap to do now rather than later.

Why would you remove and refit the head without replacing the cambelt, tensioner and water pump.
It's common practice to change all the timing parts when disturbed unless only recently changed.

Stop telling the lad to do a head gasket change without knowing the full story, You've just read mayo on the dipstick and jumped to conclusions

Best thing to do is drop the oil and see what comes out, If it is all white/mayo then there is a problem with the head/gasket. If there is a small amount of white then best to fit new filter and oil and monitor levels as suggested.
If the car isn't losing coolant then where would this mayo come from?

If he is worried about the headgasket then a compression test would be the way to go.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terry12
quote:
quote:

Why would you remove and refit the head without replacing the cambelt, tensioner and water pump.
It's common practice to change all the timing parts when disturbed unless only recently changed.

Stop telling the lad to do a head gasket change without knowing the full story, You've just read mayo on the dipstick and jumped to conclusions

Best thing to do is drop the oil and see what comes out, If it is all white/mayo then there is a problem with the head/gasket. If there is a small amount of white then best to fit new filter and oil and monitor levels as suggested.

If he is worried about the headgasket then a compression test would be the way to go.

because if they're not due to be changed, why change them if they're operating fine?

I actually said see if you have a problem and if you do, get the gasket changed before it causes further problems on one of the last posts.
Terry12

3rd Mar 10 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if it's on the dipstick, this is definite cause for concern as it won't be just condensation, you should think about changing the head gasket asap before it does any damage.

This was your first post.
What you should have advised was to drop the oil, check water level and do a compression test (obviously with oil in the engine).
Telling somebody to think about whipping the head off without checking the above things is a little silly.

Having read your problems on another thread you do seem like a bodge it merchant
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
if it's on the dipstick, this is definite cause for concern as it won't be just condensation, you should think about changing the head gasket asap before it does any damage.

This was your first post.
What you should have advised was to drop the oil, check water level and do a compression test (obviously with oil in the engine).
Telling somebody to think about whipping the head off without checking the above things is a little silly.

Having read your problems on another thread you do seem like a bodge it merchant

Well i've not heard of it being condensation in the dipstick before, that's all. I would think that being it the sump, where oil is stored, it'd be a cause for concern to have mayo in there. I was wrong apparently. But no need to act like a massive dickhead about it. Well done, e-points to you
Terry12

3rd Mar 10 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

because if they're not due to be changed, why change them if they're operating fine?

I actually said see if you have a problem and if you do, get the gasket changed before it causes further problems on one of the last posts.

Without knowing the history of the engine I can't advise on that. But if the cambelt is due to be changed within the next 10k miles I would change them anyway.
Personally I would change them regardless.
Next month I am swapping heads on my XE, The timing kit has done about 8k, I'll be changing it.

Terry12

3rd Mar 10 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not trying to score points off you, I just don't see the need to whip the head off without doing some simples checks first.
The OP stated the water level hasn't dropped, If this is the case please explain where the water in the oil has come from?
He said mayo was on the dipstick, Which I have seen before without it being in the sump. It is possible the dipstick tube has condensation.

Instead of insulting me, Go buy a clue. Muppet.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well usually i think they reccommend 60k for these vaux engines, personally, I'd change them if they're 20k+ for definite but anything less is not worth bothering IMO.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I'm not trying to score points off you, I just don't see the need to whip the head off without doing some simples checks first.
The OP stated the water level hasn't dropped, If this is the case please explain where the water in the oil has come from?
He said mayo was on the dipstick, Which I have seen before without it being in the sump. It is possible the dipstick tube has condensation.

sorry, who began insulting who?
code:

and I do not believe, that not knowing a car can get condensation in the dipstick tube means you don't have a clue, as I said, I was wrong. Get over it
Terry12

3rd Mar 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well usually i think they reccommend 60k for these vaux engines, personally, I'd change them if they're 20k+ for definite but anything less is not worth bothering IMO.

40k or 4 years.
Terry12

3rd Mar 10 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

code:

and I do not believe, that not knowing a car can get condensation in the dipstick tube means you don't have a clue, as I said, I was wrong. Get over it

Hardly compares to being called a dickhead though does it.
Anyway stop filling the thread with crap.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

40k or 4 years.

ooh, I thought it was more than that. Hmm, maybe I better think about changing them even more frequently than 20k then...that's worrying me now as my tensioner is about 15k old but cambelt and water pump are brand new
shaun hornby

3rd Mar 10 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably the head gasket.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

code:

Hardly compares to being called a dickhead though does it.
Anyway stop filling the thread with crap.

if you recall, I called you that after you said that. Anyway, I don't have a problem with you, I've accepted I was wrong and openly admitted it.

hope you sort the car (if there's anything wrong), M055360.
Terry12

3rd Mar 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaun hornby

Don't you start!

Condensation in the dipstick tube isn't a myth!
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/GASSING/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=811160&nmt=Ominous%20white%20deposits%20on%20dipstick%20%28E46%203er%29

[Edited on 03-03-2010 by Terry12]
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shaun hornby

Don't you start!

Condensation in the dipstick tube isn't a myth!
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/GASSING/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=811160&nmt=Ominous%20white%20deposits%20on%20dipstick%20%28E46%203er%29

[Edited on 03-03-2010 by Terry12]
M055360

4th Mar 10 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wish i had the mechanic skill to just do it all myself, but to be fair water level hasn;t dropped and it doesn't overheat at all. could have sumin to do with the snow was sat of the drive covered in snow for well over a week, all those cold starts and short journeys.

gonna drop the oil and flush everything out and replace oil filter and keep an eye on it.

if the head gasket did properly go i'd get a new head anyways
scottyp1989

5th Mar 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no need to get a new head if HG has gone, its just more expense thats not needed, if you put a new head on you still have to change the same stuff as just doiong HG
barney1.6sport

5th Mar 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lmao half of these coments are hilarious !!
im doing a engine rebuild on my x16xe and its taking me 4eva. possibly 1 of the worst heads ive ever removed on a car due to no room which is y u wudnt just replace the HG if ur unsure.
so yh, replace the oil n filter n keep an eye out, but as scotty said, it'd be pointless to get another head 4 it. no need mate. good luck
Terry12

5th Mar 10 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be condensation mate if your levels are fine.
When it gets cold you get a layer of condensation on metals and as the inside of your engine is metal that too will get condensation. As soon as you start the car it mixes with the oil and you get that white mayo crap.

I wouldn't worry if it isn't overheating or losing water. Just keep a close eye on the temp gauge and water/oil levels.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll