corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » What makes a 3D TV 3D ???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What makes a 3D TV 3D ???
Tommy

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 10 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im curious to know what makes them 3D. For instance Sony have 3D ready TVs and you have to buy a separate box to plug into it that effectivly makes the TV. Im guessing this is some kind of convertor that converts the picture. Im also guessing that the other brands of TV have this convertor build it.

I dont get how the the 3D TVs can be that much different to the normal Hd ones. Surely it is just how the TV interprets the 3D signal.

My question is could someone buy the separate sony convertor and use it on a normal Hd TV ??
Pablo

23rd Dec 10 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100201221133AAHzOLI
Dom

23rd Dec 10 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of extra image processing and increased refresh rate of the panel.
Tommy

23rd Dec 10 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The yahoo answer only relates to one of the two types of 3D systems, there are those that move the image and the glasses are set to the same rate and there is another way.

Refresh rate may be a point.
A2H GO

23rd Dec 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would anyone buy one where you need to use glasses when in a few month the market will be flooded with ones you don't?
Dom

23rd Dec 10 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Why would anyone buy one where you need to use glasses when in a few month the market will be flooded with ones you don't?

You mean autostereoscopy (usually lenticular lenses)? It's exactly the reason why i'm waiting and it's the main reason why take up of consumer 3D has been poor. Consumer 3D is still in it's infancy, far too costly (understandable with technology though) and there are far too many standards battling it out (polarised, anaglyph and autostereoscopy being the main standards, plenty of various of these 3 though).
Tommy

23rd Dec 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt think it was a few months ago, as far as I knew sony has only recently bought the patent for the technology.

Im not thinking of buying one n e way its a bit of a fad.
Dom

23rd Dec 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy
Didnt think it was a few months ago, as far as I knew sony has only recently bought the patent for the technology.

Im not thinking of buying one n e way its a bit of a fad.

Autostereoscopic displays, certainly lenticular has been around (patents) since the late 70s. Each manufacturer has it's variant of it though ie: philips wowvx etc Only issue with lenticular displays is the limited viewing angle, but give it a year or so and advances will increase that (either that or a similar autostereoscopic technology will come out).

[Edited on 23-12-2010 by Dom]
adiohead

23rd Dec 10 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People are only buying them for one film:

deano87

23rd Dec 10 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colleague just bought a 50" Samsung 3D TV with BluRay player off Amazon for £900. I didn't think that was too bad.
A2H GO

23rd Dec 10 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

You mean autostereoscopy (usually lenticular lenses)? It's exactly the reason why i'm waiting and it's the main reason why take up of consumer 3D has been poor. Consumer 3D is still in it's infancy, far too costly (understandable with technology though) and there are far too many standards battling it out (polarised, anaglyph and autostereoscopy being the main standards, plenty of various of these 3 though).

Yes once they get the viewing angle issue sorted on the lenticular sets and prices have come to an affordable level, i'll look at buying.

TBH I don't even agree the LED panels are worth the extra over the standard backlit panels.
A2H GO

23rd Dec 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Colleague just bought a 50" Samsung 3D TV with BluRay player off Amazon for £900. I didn't think that was too bad.

Not bad, cheapest i've seen is near the £800 mark:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-samsung-ps50c680-50-full-hd/809682

But when you think a full 1080p 50" with built in Freeview HD, internet, youtube/iPalyer, USB playback etc can be had for half that, its hard to justify the premium.
Gareth

24th Dec 10 at 02:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine has packed up after 3 weeks although i was well impressed with it before that. Black ops 3d is awsome!
Bart

24th Dec 10 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Indeed.
What makes it worse is that there's no industry standard format yet, it would be crazy IMO

You'd be kicking yourself if you were an early adoptee of hd-DVD players
John

24th Dec 10 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We won't have glasses free in a few months, glasses will be the thing for a while.

Also, you can't really get caught out, the tv still accepts an HD signal from HDMI, the 3D media doesn't care how that's displayed.

I'm not sure about 3D yet either, they are cheap enough not to worry about it, although you can get a bigger TV at half the price, it's probably not that great.
deano87

24th Dec 10 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried out a 3D TV with glasses in Comet. I was really impressed with the picture, as previously I was a bit cynical. Not a fan of wearing the glasses for that long and having to sit in a certain position.
Dom

24th Dec 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

You'd be kicking yourself if you were an early adoptee of hd-DVD players

Had it's advantage, extremely cheap HD films. Brother was picking up films for a few quid of play when they were selling their HD-DVD stock

New Poll