corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » XE only firing on cylinder 1

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author XE only firing on cylinder 1
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
12th Jan 11 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, I've just finished doing a headgasket on the motor. Early dis-pack XE. Timed it all up, I've checked to make sure that everything's plugged in and I can see no reason as to why it's not going. It sounds like it's attempting to start and it's firing on cylinder 1 only - the reason I know this is because the header coming from port no.1 is heating up. I tried a plug in no.2 lead just to check if it was sparking, then something strange happened.

I tried it about 3 or 4 times and all I was getting was it turning over and, as said, attempting to start. But when I switched the ignition off I was getting a buzzing noise from behind the header tank, this happened after I checked for a spark against the rocker cover.. My dad knows a thing or two and says it sounds like a stepper motor. Not sure if that's anything to do with my problem though.

I don't have a lot of experience of dis-packs so any suggestions as to what it might be would be appreciated, I'm not a happy bunny just now.
craig_s

12th Jan 11 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you remove the plug for the idle control valve at all?even if tht is nackered it should fire up while working the throttle it just wont stay running.

spark plug leads on correct in the right order?

could be a few things,but if it ran before,all the plugs are connected and correct it sounds like it may be the timing is out.
alan-g-w

12th Jan 11 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm using different injectors to what I had before I did it, that's the only thing that's untested really. Been told they're ok though so I'm half counting them out.

I'm pretty sure I left the ICV plugged in throughout, disconnected the hose onto the manifold for it and left it in the bay. Leads are in the correct order, only order they look like they can go tbh since they're all different lengths. It's something I'm going to double check though.

Timing is what the old man said and it definetely sounds like it. But when I crank it by hand I'm getting excellent compression to the point that it's actually quite hard to get round.

Am I right in saying that the auxiliary belt crankshaft pulley has an eccentric PCD? As in it can only go on one way so that the notch lines up with the pointer on the backplate? The only other thing I can think of from the timing side of thing is to whip that off and see if it's definetely timed up correctly - can't see it being wrong going by the marks though. The cam pulleys are a touch either side of the marks on the rocker cover but they're definetely as close as they can be, same with crank.
ianofbhills

13th Jan 11 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you taking the bottom mark from the cambelt pully or the aux belt pulley?

The standard aux belt pulley is mounted on rubber and with age can move around so your bottom mark could be 1 tooth out. Check you are in fact at TDC by putting a screwdriver down cylinder one and making sure it rises to its highest when the cam pulleys are alligned. (or time it off the metal cambelt pulley which doesnt move)

Also how long have you tried cranking it for?

Sometimes when the head has been off the hydraulic lifters drain out the oil so when the cam tries to open the valves all its doing is compressing the empty lifter. It may take a while to build up enough oil pressure in the head to fill the lifters on just the starter motor. However i have heard of people having to tow the car in gear in order to build up enough oil pressure as the starter motor just wouldn't do it.
Defo check the timing is spot on first though.

p.s this has taken you ages to do is this the same one from before Christmas.
alan-g-w

13th Jan 11 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mate, a combination of snow, lack of cash, christmas and waiting on parts has meant it's taken me this long unfortunately!

I tried cranking it 4 or 5 times, each time for about 30 secs. That thing about the lifters sounds quite likely tbh, the thing has been sitting for more than 2 months without any oil in the head. Obviously before I refitted the rocker cover I soaked the cams and lifters with a good scoot of oil but if I'm getting a spark and fuel going to the other three cylinders I'll maybe look at bump starting it.

Cheers for the replies.
alan-g-w

13th Jan 11 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorted now, injectors were stuffed with shite. Put the old ones on and it's fired up straight away.

Also found what's making the buzzing - a relay under the scuttle panel. Not dead sure what it's for though, the part no. on it is 90 225 811, anyone any ideas? The car won't start with it unplugged, will only turn over. Also when the ignition's on and it's unplugged the EML goes off, plug it back in and it comes back on.
c20xecorsa

14th Jan 11 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the relay is ur fuel relay controls spark as well
alan-g-w

14th Jan 11 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mate since found that out, cheers for saying though

New Poll