corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.0 OUTER CV JOINT INCORRECT!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.0 OUTER CV JOINT INCORRECT!
corsamon

User status: Offline
   2nd Mar 11 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi everyone, Small problem!

Coming home from work on monday i forgot i had to go somewhere so turned around in a empty junction and tried to set off again. The car revved up asif it was out of gear so i tried putting it back in only to realise it was already in gear! SHIT.... So pulled over and looking over the bay i saw the offside driveshaft spinning. had no idea why at the time as i didnt set off spiritingly or anything and there was no grinding/crunching!

Came to strip it down lastnight and the teeth on the driveshaft are perfect however there was no circlip around the shaft to hold it into the CV joint! So i realised that was where my problem was.

BUT looking about at CV joint styles for corsas i dont think my car had the right CV joint on it (there all the same style? ) Where the split pin goes to stop the hub nut removing itself there are no threads past that point and also the CV has no ABS pickup points on the housing.
This i didnt think was a issue as my car doesent have ABS but looking about it looks like that all have the same setup with or with abs.

Inside the CV itself the cage and spider on the splines where the shaft goes through are fine also, yet looking at where the circlip is ment to clip into the spider its smooth and is a machined face so its not snapped!
If the driveshaft was to clip in it would have to go all the way through the spider in the CV but that wouldnt be possible due to how far down the shaft the circlip should go, the end of the shaft will be trying to stick out the end of the CV joint.

Can someone please give me a clue as to whats going on and wether or not its just a CV off something else or for some retarded reason 1.0 drive shafts and cv's arent actually fastened together.

Cheers
deneven

2nd Mar 11 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isn't any clip to hold it into the gearbox end, mine used to pop out all the time (Fucked Shaft).

Replaced it with another and bam! good as new. The only thing that secures the driveshaft is the nut at the wheel end.

Kevxx

3rd Mar 11 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deneven
There isn't any clip to hold it into the gearbox end, mine used to pop out all the time (Fucked Shaft).

Replaced it with another and bam! good as new. The only thing that secures the driveshaft is the nut at the wheel end.

i haven't seen many driveshafts without the clip on the end :/
corsamon

3rd Mar 11 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The drive shaft isent secured into the CV join though is it so the CV will remiain stationary but the shaft will fall out.

I went and got a new CV joint and its exactly the same, apparently there isent ment to be a circlip that holds them in, how shit is that!

deneven i checked the shaft to mnake sure it wasent bent and therefore slightly shorter at one point, it was perfect.

I did however know from when doing my clutch the offside engine mount has come away from its alloy case i think its just that the engien has shifted over enough with that being broke that its fallen out.

STICKAFLEX TO THE RESCUE!

New Poll