corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My patio project - 2 of 3 packs laid (ish)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My patio project - 2 of 3 packs laid (ish)
DaveB

User status: Offline
21st Jun 11 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
you can swap the two round at each end

[Edited on 21-06-2011 by Jake]

Like he says ^^

will make a big difference
Colin

21st Jun 11 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon you should have split the packs & laid them more randomly, hire a stillsaw to make it work out.

Still looks decent like but i'm just not feeling the long lines!!
Jake

21st Jun 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the slabs work to a square metreage so it can be re arranged without a disc cutter but its just effort. swapping the two end ones will break up that line
Dan
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried to work out patterns etc before and gave up as couldnt figure anything. The pattern never repeats at all, so its not quite simple tojust change it about.

You cant cut them, as they are riven edges, not straight, so would look awful.

In the flesh, you really cannot notice the lines. I just know its there.

Im gonna swap the 2 at either end where the long line is, will look a lot better

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Dan
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spent the morning on it again. Swapped the two either end to remove the long line, does look better.

Then I shoveled in the last tonne of sand. Compressed and screeded, laid about 4 of the slabs from the new oak as well as the rest of pack 2. Left a large area screeded, ready for tomorrow. But it's just hammered down so I dread to think what that's looking like now.

Mistamist

23rd Jun 11 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for Selco Builders Warehouse, what i have recommended to a customer before is to open a pack and measure all the different slabs in there then make up a cardboard replica for however many packs he had. then draw out your border and have a play about see what sort of layout you like best.

also Stayputt paving compound is decent stuff, just have to be reasonably quick to put it down if its a warm day, its a bit like demarara sugar, and dont put it on wet slabs.
Dan
Premium Member

23rd Jun 11 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's an idea, but so making 80 cardboard cut outs lol.

Mistamist

23rd Jun 11 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh mate, it looks like you only have 3 different sizes of slab, 300x450, 450x450 and 600x450 i think, so you will only have to cut out a few times if you layer a few bits of cardboard/card.
Dan
Premium Member

23rd Jun 11 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its nearly done now, and looks fine to me, so im not fussed about moving them around.

My sleepers arrived last night, so went and picked them up from work this morning. FUCK ME, they are seriously heavy!

6 x grade 1's, literally straight from the track £80

Dan
Premium Member

24th Jun 11 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laid some more this morning at 8am (bet the neighbours loved me)

So nearly there. have about a 3ft wide area left to screed off and lay about 8 slabs.

It absolutely hammers down yesterday, and the slabs just cleared after a few mins, so happy with the run off etc.

However, the 200mm between them and the house which is just compacted sand filled right up to the top of the slabs.

Im thinking i need to dig this down a good few hundred mm and fill with gravel?

Graham88

24th Jun 11 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£80 for 6 sleepers?? I walk past hundreds of them every night, hmmm
Dan
Premium Member

24th Jun 11 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£80 for 6 grade 1 sleepers is the cheapest you will probably get them anywhere

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Jun 11 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
£80 for 6 grade 1 sleepers is the cheapest you will probably get them anywhere

£0

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Graham88

25th Jun 11 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I could get them for nothing just saying I didn't realise people paid decent money for them
Dan
Premium Member

25th Jun 11 at 05:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can u all get them for nothing, for decent sleepers.

The guy I know who I got them of deals in millions of pounds worth at a time when he orders them.

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Jun 11 at 07:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is money in sleepers Dan, but I'm sure Graham works on the rail and I work for a Stobart Rail, they're taking them up every week!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Dan
Premium Member

25th Jun 11 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That explains it then. You should get hundreds of them and sell them on. Serious money is involved. He keeps over 250,000 of them lol

harrisp

25th Jun 11 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get them for free, not as good condition as those, cant get them all the time but get them as they come.

[Edited on 25-06-2011 by harrisp]
Dan
Premium Member

25th Jun 11 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could have got some for free from work, but they aint half the quality of these.

Im happy with the price i paid, and from searching around the internet, i couldnt better the price.

You jammy fucks who can get good ones for free need to cash in on some

Dan
Premium Member

25th Jun 11 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally all laid

Ben G

25th Jun 11 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks really good dan. only thing that i wouldn't like looking at it from that angle is the straight line at the end of the 1st pack towards the middle of the doors.

other then that, looks perfect.
Dan
Premium Member

25th Jun 11 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, In the pics thats pissing me off. But in the flesh, you just dont notice it.

I bought some buff brush in compound but it looks to dark buff, so gonna change it for grey if they will let me.

Graham88

27th Jun 11 at 02:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I work on the Underground so see hundreds of sleepers everyday, that's what I meant when I was surprised they were worth that much

What's the plan with them? Patio looks decent
Dan
Premium Member

27th Jun 11 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plan with the sleepers is to use them as an edging for the patio. Standing them on the side. It should just be enough to make up the gap to the height of the grass.

Dan
Premium Member

27th Jun 11 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All pointed up today. Bit gutted tbh.

It looks immense and im more than happy, but i think i picked the worse day to do it, as the stuff started to cure after about 25 mins, and i had only pointed 3/4 of it. Still looks great, and the missus cant tell where i havent quite done it all.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll