corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » buying 2nd house - best way?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author buying 2nd house - best way?
M2RTY

User status: Offline
4th Feb 12 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

House i live in now i dont have a mortgage on, did have for a couple of years but now paid off (technically i can withdraw the money still up to £70k and just start paying the interest on it again)

Anyways, now wanting to buy another house with my lass and rent this one out, but will i be taxed on the full amount (i,e profit) as theres no mortgage on it? Would I be best taking say £50k out of it (leaving (£20k in readily available cash and £30k equity) to get around this?

I dont really want to close the account as id own the house 100%, but would habve to pay to set up another mortgage elsewhere if i needed to release some funds from the house. Proper headache!

Putting 20% down on next house (18-20k each) which we hope to have saved this year, so looking to ideally get it all sorted in 2012
ed

4th Feb 12 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy it in cash. If you don't have the cash you can't afford it.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Feb 12 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont you want to close the account and own the house 100%

Just put your £18k-£20k savings with missus towards next house and mortgage it!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
M2RTY

4th Feb 12 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
Why dont you want to close the account and own the house 100%

Just put your £18k-£20k savings with missus towards next house and mortgage it!

because leaving the account open costs nothing, and i have the money available in a few clicks if i ever needed it
VegasPhil
Premium Member

4th Feb 12 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could consider a remo on your current prop to a BTL mortgage with say a 50% deposit. It will cost next to nothing and you'll have a load of deposit to get a decent rate on a resi mortgage for your main property.

Don't forget the tax.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Colin

4th Feb 12 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep 50% BTL, slightly bigger deposit for the next one & a Ferrari F355 spider for that lovely new garage
M2RTY

5th Feb 12 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

20% deposit vs 30-40% deposit wasnt that bigger a change in rates on new house, will have to calculate how much tax will be paid on current house

it illegal to rent it out to a family member (great aunt) cash in hand lol, (or a slightly more legal way to do it to get around tax)
baza31

6th Feb 12 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's tricky really , in my opinion whatever you do your still going to have to find x amount . If you remortgage do you have enough equity to buy 2nd house in full. If not I would own half two houses. As you will need to change mortgage 1 to a buy to let . Also if your lass's names going on house 2 if you put mass load of equity in and it ever doesn't work out how would u feel if she took half .

I'd rent house one out and start a new mortgage with her . This keeps both houses totally separate and you been sole owner of house 1
Dione J

10th Feb 12 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
It's tricky really , in my opinion whatever you do your still going to have to find x amount . If you remortgage do you have enough equity to buy 2nd house in full. If not I would own half two houses. As you will need to change mortgage 1 to a buy to let . Also if your lass's names going on house 2 if you put mass load of equity in and it ever doesn't work out how would u feel if she took half .

I'd rent house one out and start a new mortgage with her . This keeps both houses totally separate and you been sole owner of house 1
Sense
M2RTY

11th Feb 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

off to see the advisor i used last time to see what options he says, cheers
M2RTY

11th Feb 12 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to look at a new 3 bed town house for 210k in darlington centre and a 4 bed on outskirts for 175k also new

Only 2 of us but the 4 bed isnt really a large house, plan was spot on though large use of space

Just need to get the ball rolling now...
baza31

15th Feb 12 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember financial adviser isn't a life adviser and won't take into account what could happen if your relationship goes pear shape. Listen to my advice above , things change when breakups occur.
Josh Ack
Premium Member

16th Feb 12 at 00:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where would the outskirts of Darlo be, I didnt think that Darlington would be as expensive as the outskirts to be honest..
Toby
Premium Member

16th Feb 12 at 06:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently thinking about the same sort of thing, pulling 20k out of my house when it remortgages and going halfs on a deposit for a second house. BTL deals are getting a lot better, it was only a year ago (when looking at options for my current house) and best I could get was 6% and 4k in fees.

In answer to the cash in hand, you could do it but it is tax evasion if you don't declare to HMRC which I'm sure you know will carry quite hefty consequences
Liam-Wilko

16th Feb 12 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can get cash in hand for Property provided you let HMRC know by using a self assesment witch depending on what profits/ losses you get you can set a DD up with HMRC to pay tax monthly at small amounts there is a lot of options for you if you ring them we ant bad people mate lol if you want any more advice on tax u2u me and i can find out for you as i work for HMRC

New Poll