corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Solar trickle charger

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Solar trickle charger
Terry12

User status: Offline
7th Mar 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As my Corsa spends quite a bit of time sat doing nothing the battery will generally discharge when left for a week or so.

I'm thinking of getting a sloar charger to stick on the dash to keep the battery topped up. What kind of wattage would do the job?
Jakey
Premium Member

7th Mar 12 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure on wattage etc but I bought one for about £10 of eBay and it worked perfectly.

Comes with 2 clamps for the terminals and a fag lighter attachment!
Terry12

7th Mar 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've seen one on ebay for the same money, Comes from Maplin outlet.
Suppose it doesn't need to be powerful just to keep the battery topped up.
Phoenix Autosport

7th Mar 12 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the small solar panels will only supply a very small amount of power, chances are your clock alone will use most of the power generated as you have to remember its only charging for a few hours per day and for that time its positioning is not going to be ideal to achieve anywhere near the rated output, stopping your battery discharging is more about reducing how much drain there is on your battery with the ignition off, some common connections that are likely to be draining it are,
1) memory backup lead on the clock
2) memory backup lead on the stereo
3) any alarm system (old ones are terrible for this)
4) central locking interfaces
5) inteligent interior light systems (the ones that stay on after shutting the door until you start the car)

other than minimising these best solution is a larger capacity battery to hold the charge for longer between uses, dont get me wrong solar has its places ( i have 8 x 15 watt panels set up on my shed which charges a bank of deep cycle bateries for running my computer, router, LED lights and several other things) but a car environment is not going to gain much unless you can position the car and angle the panels to point towards the sun on a nice bright day

New Poll