corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Western Digital 1TB External Harddrive crashes computer

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Western Digital 1TB External Harddrive crashes computer
Graham88

User status: Offline
15th Apr 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had this for a while now with no problems, took it to Nurburgring with me to transfer all my Go Pro videos onto using my mates laptop. Now we watched a film one night, then the next day it plugs in, light comes on the device, you get the sound of it being recognised, but it doesn't come up to say open files like normal, then you open My Computer and it's just a blank white screen where the devices normally show, it then crashes unless you unplug the hard drive in which case it loads up like normal?

Why is it suddenly doing this? I have LOADS of films and videos from trackdays etc and latest Ring trip which I really don't want to lose, anyone have any ideas?
_Allan_

15th Apr 12 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could be the control board of the actual WD case. I'd be removing the HD itself from the caddy and putting it into a PC as a secondary drive and be making a back up as soon as.

Unless there is a problem with the drive itself then it's a whole new world of hurt, trying to recover the data if at all

[Edited on 15-04-2012 by _Allan_]
Graham88

15th Apr 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Way beyond my capabilities, will take it to my local computer shop this week then, was hoping there might be something I could do, but I really don't want to lose the data! Films are no big deal, just have to download them all again, but I've got 2-3 years of trackday films
_Allan_

15th Apr 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham it's really easy. Inside that case is a simple HD. No different than what's found in a PC. A couple of screws to open up the case. If you open up a pc then chances are you'll already have a spare sata or IDE connector for it to plug into.

Google adding a seconday HD (IDE or Sata). Loads of vid clips on how.

Graham88

15th Apr 12 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are no screws though Allan?? It's a sealed unit by the looks of things?
_Allan_

15th Apr 12 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm not sure then. The few WD external drives I've had I've been able to access the drive. The screws are sometime hidden under a sticker or the rubber feet. See if you can find a You Tube vid of your model or google to see if there is a tutorial etc.. If you don't fancy having a go then by all means take it to a local shop but your obviously gonna get charged.
Graham88

15th Apr 12 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems I have a sealed unit that nobody opens :S Don't mind paying, they're cheap in there anyway, will let you know what the outcome is, cheers
Toby
Premium Member

15th Apr 12 at 17:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can open it. there are little plastic tabs located in the grills at the top and bottom. go on YouTube for a guide if you don't want to take it to a shop., just have to be careful. I pulled one apart and back together pretty easily
noshua

15th Apr 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a Buffalo external hard drive that just pulls apart (no screws), took quite a bit of force the first time, more than I was expecting anyway.
Sam
Premium Member

15th Apr 12 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it work if you plug it into another USB port on your computer?
Graham88

15th Apr 12 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Does it work if you plug it into another USB port on your computer?

Nope, and does exactly the same on a mates laptop & my girlfriends desktop computer, freezes my computer when you open it until you disconnect it
Sam
Premium Member

16th Apr 12 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, might be the controller board as Allan says. If you've had it less than a year you could get it changed under warranty - however the problem is you'd need to copy your files from the drive to another one first and if you can't do that you'd have to open the case up and connect the physical drive to another computer or stick it into an external drive dock, this would void the warranty!

If it's not in warranty then I would be opening it up an extracting the drive. You can get an external drive dock (or even a case for it) for literally a few quid, I'd be going down that route - but have a go at opening it up yourself first because the money a computer shop would charge to do it for you would cost more than getting a brand new replacement to be honest.

New Poll