corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Astra Z14XEP into Z14XE: Is it practical/beneficial?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra Z14XEP into Z14XE: Is it practical/beneficial?
Bhonanza

User status: Offline
10th Jun 12 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dear fellow members.

Good day to you all. I will be currently taking on a engine swap project this summer of putting in a Z14XEP engine into a 2002 Astra G 5dr hatch which had a Z14XE petrol engine. I have done some research of my own but am still seeking more knowledge and wisdom as to wether this swap is beneficial or not. So here goes my questions:

1. What are the benefits of the Z14XEP engine over the Z14XE as both are 1.4L engines pumping out roughly, if not, the same amount of bhp which is +/- 88bhp.

If and when decided to perform this swap, I have found out that there are additional requirements needed to complete this task which include:
i) Obviously the engine itself, in this case the Z14XEP
ii) The compatible ECU for the above engine
iii) The engine wiring loom
iv) The key
v) The transponders

Having listed the above requirements, I still haven't managed to find out the following:
a) Will the new engine require different engine mounts or the existing ones will work just fine? If new engine mounts are required, will they fit into the existing slots in the engine bay or some mods will need to be made to accommodate the new mounts?

b) Will the new engine marry up to the existing manual F17 gearbox? If not, this means a compatible gearbox will be required with the compatible gearbox mounts, right? If new gearbox mounts are required, will they just fit into the existing slots of the old mounts or some mods will need to be done?

c) Will the existing instrument clocks/speedo dials work with the new engine or will they also need replacing? If they do need replacing, will the new clocks even fit on the dashboard panel as I'm sure the new clocks will be of different size and or shape?

d) Does this mean the fuse box will also need to be changed too?

e) What about the exhaust manifold of the new engine; will it marry up to the existing exhaust system or will the exhaust system need to be changed completely, that is, the down pipe, the CAT, the silencer etc?

I do know that someone somewhere out there has done similar, or exactly the same type of conversions/swaps but the details as to whether it was worth the money, time, and effort have never been clearly outlined and whether there were any performance gains in doing so, that is, swapping a Z14XE engine with a Z14XEP engine instead of just swapping like for like.

Your assistance and advice in this matter is greatly appreciated as I will use it as the basis of my decision as to whether I should proceed on with the conversion or just swap like for like. Thanks.

P.S. - the reason for wanting to convert/swap the engine is because the old one had a broken timing belt and had previously had some oil leak issues.

New Poll