corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Another computer issue... this time with RAM!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another computer issue... this time with RAM!
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Nov 12 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slightly more concerning than my audio issue is my RAM problem...

I have 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 Team Xtreem RAM modules which apparently support XMP. At the moment I am running them at 1333 with no issue and in dual channel mode too, however if I choose the 1600 profile things keep crashing in Windows and even BSODs occur with a "memory_management" error on the dump.

I ran Windows memory diagnostics and it reported no errors, tried various flavours of Memtest and they just freeze (even with some spare bog standard Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333 sticks).

The CPU I have installed is an Intel Core i3 3220 which being an Ivy Bridge CPU supports DDR3 1600 RAM so I wasn't even attempting to overclock anything, just wanted to run it at the speed it's rated at.

I'm a bit stuck as to what is going on here? I've done the usual trial and error testing and removing of various things and the only thing that lets me have a stable system is running it at 1333 (in fact, in the BIOS that's the speed it set it at - got the memory timings set at 'auto' in case you were wondering).

I'm also concerned that Memtest won't run on either my 1600 RAM or the 2GB 1333 sticks I've got.

Ideas? lol
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you googled for anyone else doing the same setup with the RAM+mobo?
Sam
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah no-one else using the same combo. I did look on the ASRock website and that RAM isn't on their 'supported' list - but then a lot of RAM isn't and I know for a fact certain brands etc. work perfectly fine even when overclocked - just I never used this brand before.

I might just buy some Corsair or Crucial RAM the next time I order some computer parts from the place I bought this lot off and keep these ones as spares but for now I'll just run them at 1333.
Chris
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disabled C states in the bios
Simon_16v

17th Nov 12 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What voltage is the RAM running at? My gigabyte motherboard defaults my dual channel 1600mhz Crucial ram to 1333mhz.

You should be able to increase it to 1600mhz and try increasing the RAM voltage slightly
Sam
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't remember what it was when I chose the XMP profile, I think I'll have to change the settings manually and go from there.
Simon_16v

18th Nov 12 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manual change the voltages, i had mine running at 2000Mhz for a while until i knocked it back down to 1600Mhz as there wasn't much of a difference
Bart

18th Nov 12 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

up the voltage on the flux capacitor, that will fix it
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do people just tend to ignore the XMP profiles and just change the values manually then?

I thought the whole point of having said profiles was to make life easier? lol
Dom

19th Nov 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Do people just tend to ignore the XMP profiles and just change the values manually then?

I thought the whole point of having said profiles was to make life easier? lol

Doesn't always work; my Kingston stuff requires a bit more voltage so i have to pee around with manual settings.

Is this the stuff you got? - http://www.memoryc.co.uk/products/description/4GB_Team_Xtreem_LV_DDR3_PC3_12800-7_7_7_21-Dual_Channel_Low_Voltage_kit/index.html
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right!

Nah it's this one:

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/product/826705/Team-Group-XDARK-8GB-DDR3-1600-4GB-X-2-C
Dom

19th Nov 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is CPU-Z showing your current timings to be? Also have you tried the profile with EIST (CPU power saving) off?
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not changed anything to do with CPU, everything is left as default.
Dom

19th Nov 12 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it manually with the 9-9-9-24-2T (CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-CR / everything else auto) timings and bump the DDR voltage up to 1.65v. Then Prime the hell out of it to make sure it's stable.

Btw, what board are you using?
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dom, will give it a whirl and report back!

It's an ASRock H77 Pro4-M.

New Poll