corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple choice to be made!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple choice to be made!
kz

User status: Offline
14th Nov 12 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi... don't really know much about mac's. My girlfriend has a G5 iSight with OS X 10.6.8 which I believe is Snow Leopard?

Basically her mouse is broken and I want to get her a new one for Christmas.

Shall I go for the Magic Mouse, or is it worth getting the Trackpad?
LeeM

15th Nov 12 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trackpad is awesome, not sure how compatible gestures are with that version of the os though
Balling
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 07:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of the box gestures on the trackpad will not work with 10.6, don't know if there is a work around, but I'm sure Dom will be along shortly with a "simple" 63 step Terminal hack that will make it work.

Magic Mouse is terrible to use for any extended amount of time. It's awkward to hold and right clicking usually takes two or three tries.

Out of those two, I'd go with the Trackpad as it's at least comfortable to work with.

For a proper work horse of a mouse, I'd still have to recommend Logitech, though their products are hardly sexy, so might not be exactly what your girl is after.

pow
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trackpads are god awful bits of kit for extended use, I hate the one built into my laptop for a short time, rather use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible!
Dom

15th Nov 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Out of the box gestures on the trackpad will not work with 10.6, don't know if there is a work around, but I'm sure Dom will be along shortly with a "simple" 63 step Terminal hack that will make it work.

You being a 'see you next Tuesday', who would have thought But no, no i doubt. But nice of you to think of me though

[Edited on 15-11-2012 by Dom]
ed

15th Nov 12 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Trackpads are god awful bits of kit for extended use, I hate the one built into my laptop for a short time, rather use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible!

I'm guessing you've not used an Apple trackpad before - they're an absolute joy to use for the vast majority of things (on OSX). If your experience is only of the crappy things you get on Dell's and the likes then I can understand your viewpoint though.

[Edited on 15-11-2012 by ed]
Balling
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
nice of you to think of me though
I think about you all the time Dom.

xxoxo

Balling
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by pow

I'm guessing you've not used an Apple trackpad before - they're an absolute joy to use for the vast majority of things. If your experience is only of the crappy things you get on Dell's and the likes then I can understand your viewpoint though.
Was just about to post the same.

Can't say I've ever used a trackpad as good as Apple's. After they went buttonless and started using glass they only got better.

Nismo

15th Nov 12 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ude a magic mouse, takes some getting used to but once you master it there pretty good
John

15th Nov 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't swap mx revolution for a magic mouse but the built in apple trackpads are definitely a step above the rest.
ed

15th Nov 12 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know my anyone buys a Magic Mouse (online at least). Considered buying one but every single review on the Apple website said it was shite when I looked.
Sam
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got one Ed. They are OK, I don't think I could say it was 'brilliant' though.

Don't know if there are any other brand of mice that do those multi touch gestures etc.
Balling
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Don't know if there are any other brand of mice that do those multi touch gestures etc.
Other mice have buttons and a scroll wheel, which isn't as fancy but far more practical.

Magic Mouse is a failure of proportions. A classic example of form over function.

ed

15th Nov 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was spending that much on a mouse, I'd quite like it to be more than alright too
LeeM

15th Nov 12 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use a trackpad and normal mouse for desktop use. apple trackpads are fucking awesome, not like the poxy little ones on most windows laptops, and the standalone one is 5x4" as well, you can go to all 4 corners of the screen without taking your finger off it
pow
Premium Member

16th Nov 12 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A track pad, no matter how 'good' it is is nowhere as good as a mouse you move with your hand and can actually fuck your hand up long term.

New Poll