corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Investments

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Investments
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Nov 12 at 13:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About 10years ago, my nan gave each grandchild £1000. My sister and my cousins have spent their's but I don't see it as my money and want to give it back should she ever need it. As such, I put mine in a building society 5 year bond, lost about £200 of the capital and then forgot about it for a few years. 2 years ago, I put the £800 into a UK based stocks and shares investment with Elevate through AXA. It's now up to £1350.

What should I do with it now? Leave it in the Elevate account or move it around a bit. I'd prefer not to risk the capital too much but don't mind a bit of risk, if the return potential is reasonable.
Colin

17th Nov 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An Isa would be the safest place for it. Stocks and shares Isa perhaps.
RichR
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't have to be safe as such as I see it as play money BUT, I'd need fairly quick access incase I ever knew my nan needed some money, I'd be able to give her it back.
AndyKent

17th Nov 12 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Considered Zopa/P2P lending.

Risk is that you lend the money and the odd few borrowers don't pay it back.

They have a 'rapid return' system to quickly get your remaining investment back, albeit with a 1% charge....
Sam
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick it in a cash ISA.

[Edited on 17-11-2012 by Sam]
RichR
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I already have a cash ISA which is my own money. Have to keep this separate
baza31

18th Nov 12 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why
RichR
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just does, I don't see it as 'my money' so don't want to mix it up with my ISA, savings or current account. In an ideal world, I'd like to maximise the investment and the. Either give it back or pay for something she needs but by the same token, it's not money I'm precious about so happy to play with it.

Regardless of my reasons, what type of investment am I going to have the most fun with?
Whittie

19th Nov 12 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most fun, day trading.
RichR
Premium Member

19th Nov 12 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go on
James

22nd Nov 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't bother with day trading, unless you can commit a lot of time, you won't make a lot.

Open a stocks and shares ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown and look into investing in funds. You could use a simple index fund which will keep your risk down (although there is still a risk):

http://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services/isa
Paul_J

22nd Nov 12 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it went from £800 to £1350 in two years?

That's pretty amazing returns. So if you'd put £80000 in there you'd have got £135,000 back after 2 years? Or does it not work that well on higher amounts?

Sounds like amazing returns if that's the case, far better than any bank / savings / isa etc?

e.g. an ISA @ 3% would've only given you £848 after 2 years.

[Edited on 22-11-2012 by Paul_J]
James

22nd Nov 12 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
So it went from £800 to £1350 in two years?

That's pretty amazing returns. So if you'd put £80000 in there you'd have got £135,000 back after 2 years? Or does it not work that well on higher amounts?

Sounds like amazing returns if that's the case, far better than any bank / savings / isa etc?

e.g. an ISA @ 3% would've only given you £848 after 2 years.

[Edited on 22-11-2012 by Paul_J]

30% returns per annum. It's very good but not unheard of. Not sure what it was actually invested in so I can't really comment but I would assume it was some kind of managed equities fund or index tracker.

It would yield the same results regardless of how much you invest. You might pay more fees with a larger deposit, depending on how the fees are structured.
whitter45

23rd Nov 12 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some investment funnd are returning over 40% at the moment

We get a monthly tracker on our investments - all depends on where you have invested

Investments need to be treated as long term as a genral rule - some will make quick wins but overall you need to be prepared to have your money tied up for a long term

Thats what I have bugeted for
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James, it is a managed equity fund based on the UK markets; I was given choices of funds based in UK, Europe, America or Global iirc. I took it out through a financial advisor at the Britannia Building Society, the account was through AXA but several months after investing it, the account was either bought out or remanaged by Elevate. It was slightly over 2 years, maybe 2 years and 4months total. I invested £850(ish) that was left in the original Bonded account but there were £50(ish fees).

It was never something I really put a lot of thought into and went on the FA's recommendation so wasn't overly sure if I was making the best use of it or not
whitter45

23rd Nov 12 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I invested across a few from Gilt to Newton funds within UK to Over seas

Your better looking at the investment managers performance and what they invest in i.e infrastructure, property etc
James

23rd Nov 12 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
James, it is a managed equity fund based on the UK markets; I was given choices of funds based in UK, Europe, America or Global iirc. I took it out through a financial advisor at the Britannia Building Society, the account was through AXA but several months after investing it, the account was either bought out or remanaged by Elevate. It was slightly over 2 years, maybe 2 years and 4months total. I invested £850(ish) that was left in the original Bonded account but there were £50(ish fees).

It was never something I really put a lot of thought into and went on the FA's recommendation so wasn't overly sure if I was making the best use of it or not

There are thousands of managed equity funds that are based on the UK markets.

There's an argument that index trackers have been outperforming managed funds. Given that index trackers are quite a lot cheaper to invest in, this is an appealing option.
Paul_J

26th Nov 12 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
30% returns per annum. It's very good but not unheard of. Not sure what it was actually invested in so I can't really comment but I would assume it was some kind of managed equities fund or index tracker.

It would yield the same results regardless of how much you invest. You might pay more fees with a larger deposit, depending on how the fees are structured.

I just find those returns crazy, considering the BoE interest rate cap, the low bank saving interest rates and the slow growth economy / low inflation.

I guess you could argue that maybe other funds were down in the same period and it was luck that this one did that well? - but still...

What I was trying to get at regarding the amount invested, was regarding whether there was a limit / extra fees / reason you could not invest with a lot more money. If I was lee, I would be kicking myself slightly for not investing more in something that returned out so much.
RichR
Premium Member

26th Nov 12 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what you mean but that's not what this money was ever about tbf. All of my money is tied up in property or renovations, every spare penny. That was the main reason that this money has to be kept separate in my mind as I don't really see it as mine. I'll look through the paperwork and see if there were any caps or limitations.

New Poll