corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Speaker Stands

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speaker Stands
whitter45

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 12 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys

So many mixed reviews on line so thought I would post my own. I have owned my speakers since June 2012 and up and until last week they sat on stands that were not filled just empty and hollow

Reviews indicated that some saw improvements and other saw the dynamics reduced.

I took the gamble and filled them and the difference is unreal - so much more controlled and the bass sounds much deeper

I also upgraded my AV amp at the weekend and that's made another difference again

What's people experience of filling speaker stands
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want a speaker stand that doesn't vibrate or resonate.
I'd say it goes without saying that a hollow speaker stand will never be as "dead" as one that isn't hollow.

Another approach to achieving better sound is moving the speakers away from the wall and in to the room.
In most homes having floor standing speakers a metre or more away from the walls is going to be unpractical, but I'm always impressed with how much it "frees" the sound.

When I'm home alone and listen to music, I often move the speakers more in to the room.

[Edited on 03-12-2012 by Balling]

Dom

3rd Dec 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imagine a sound-hole on an acoustic guitar, that's your speaker stand
It's also preferable to spike the stand at both ends and place it on a solid surface, usually granite is recommended but concrete slabs are fine, as you want to decouple the speaker and vibrations as much as possible.

And as Balling said, placement makes a huge difference as reflections (can end up with standing waves if you're not careful) are your main issue. Keep them away from corners, if they're rear ported then make sure there is adequate space behind (tbh i wouldn't recommend rear port if you're planning to place them anywhere near a wall) and use plenty of soft furnishings in the room, especially on the wall the speakers are firing onto.

New Poll