corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not quite sure what I want... wireless hdd etc.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not quite sure what I want... wireless hdd etc.
kz

User status: Offline
20th Jan 13 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I plan on getting a Surface Pro when they're out, meaning I'll only have a small hdd. I'll need somewhere else to store all my media... I was originally thinking along the lines of a wireless hdd? Do these even exist lol. So far I've looked at:

• Plugging my current external hdd into my router - Unfortunately I found out it's only used for printers. I could get a new router that will allow hdd usage?
  • A new router with a built in hdd, however, this means I won't really be able to take my data with me (but I could put some stuff on an SD card)
  • NAS... please explain as I don't know much about these! They plug in via ethernet is that right? Again it would seem this wouldn't be ideal for taking my data with me

I could just stick with plugging my current external hdd into the Surface via a USB hub, but it will start looking messy!
Bart

20th Jan 13 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what you want is simply 'Network Attached Storage' or NAS for short.

Theres been a lot of posts about these lately here, here and here.

In summary, I think you want to be looking at something like http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS213air&lang=uk
Toby
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

though the cheaper option (as i assume you have a usb hdd) would be to purchase a router with NAS capabilities and a USB port. Netgear offer some good options
deano87

20th Jan 13 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or invest in Cloud storage. Drop Box or something like that.

Same principle the Chromebook works on iirc.
Dom

20th Jan 13 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Portable wireless hard drives exist if that's what you're after? The drive essentially creates a WiFi hotspot that you connect to and then it shows up like an external network share. Seagate Satellite is one model off the top my head, there are others though.
kz

21st Jan 13 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the links.

With the Seagate wireless hdd's can you set them up as your personal cloud as it were, so you can access your files over the internet?
Toby
Premium Member

21st Jan 13 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything connected to your router you should be able to acess from anywhere either via a NAS, USB attached storage or via a WiFi HDD
Dom

21st Jan 13 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Thanks for the links.

With the Seagate wireless hdd's can you set them up as your personal cloud as it were, so you can access your files over the internet?

There designed for portable use, eg: to use with your tablet/phone whilst travelling etc, tbh. If you're wanting something that'll stay at home then as Bart mentioned, a NAS box is what you're after - Synology or QNap would be my recommendations. And yes, most of NAS boxes have an option to allow remote file access.

New Poll