corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » renting advice pets

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author renting advice pets
corsajay88

User status: Offline
13th Apr 13 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need a bit of advice. Basically my girlfriend got a promotion at work and needs to move to manchester. So we've been looking for a house to rent. After a lot of searching we found a house that ticked all the boxes except one. She has a cat which she's had for years and is obviously very attached to. The only problem is the landlord won't allow pets which is completely understandable to me as the house is immaculate and he would like to keep it that way.

We've been discussing it and she doesn't see a problem as long as the cat stays in the kitchen. Goes outside etc. On the other hand I don't feel comfortable at all as the landlords against it and its been hard to find one that seems to look after his properties and tenants properly. So what should I do. Let my girlfriend have her own way and risk losing the house or put my foot down and say no cat which will cause arguments and she will be gutted to lose her cat.

We definately want the house after viewing about 30 of them this is the only one that's immaculately decorated on a nice street and a decent size and had space for my cars the rest wß
e either a compromise of too small. A bit untidy or bad niebours. Short lease etc.
Ben G

13th Apr 13 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 3 cats and our house was immaculate when we re-decorated it.

turns out cats don't understand that wallpaper isn't for sticking their claws into, carpet isn't something to rip up and leather sofa's are not scratching posts.

i'd either get rid of the cat or look for another house.
Dave

13th Apr 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not come to some compromise with the landlord? Either a bigger bond to cover any potential damage or some sort of written agreement that the property will be professionally cleaned and any damage fixed before you move out?

Can't say as our cat does any damage of note. Knocks the odd picture over now and again but that's about it.
corsajay88

13th Apr 13 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies. Had a word with the landlord and he's sort of ok with it but he said on the first quarterly check if there's any damage from the cat then it will have to go. The cats old now its not gonna live forever got a couple of years left max. it does sometimes like to scratch carpets which is why I was dead against it though never seen it scratch walls ot anything. All this hassle over a cat and it doesn't like anyone its not even that keen on her. It will be staying in the kitchen and going outside when it wants to.
Twiggy

13th Apr 13 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking hell sounds like a shit landlord tbh. its not like a big dog.... Our landlord said no pets but was fine for 2 cats....
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Apr 13 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're reviewing after the check the only thing you can do is replace damaged stuff.

You can't move out if you signed a least for 6mo and you can't sell the cat if she likes it.

That option looks like a world of pain tbh, just delaying the inevitable when he turns up and the place isn't how he expects it to be.

Its a big problem, some of my neighbours have pets and its not allowed in the lease for the entire building, different to if yours is a house but in my place even if the landlord and tenant are OK, some of the neighbours might not be. Certainly hassle.

One thing I wouldn't be doing is making any mid-term reviews, not even legal for a start and what are you going to do when you get thrown out of three months, move all your stuff again? Waste of time.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Apr 13 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get some rubber cat claw things, like mini condoms which we tried on our cat for a bit. She didn't mind them, and stopped any damage - but we don't bother with them anymore as she grew out of scratching.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jay

14th Apr 13 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsajay88
All this hassle over a cat and it doesn't like anyone its not even that keen on her.

New Poll