corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT related rant

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT related rant
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
31st Aug 13 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gary is insecure imo
pow
Premium Member

31st Aug 13 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God I'm 24 and scratching the walls to get out... Let alone being 30. And I get on with my parents. Not for me!
Gary
Premium Member

31st Aug 13 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Gary is insecure imo

About what?
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another example tonight.

Guy we know rings up who we hardly ever hear from, problem with his laptop so my old man spend 20mins trying to fix it over the phone. Turns out that's not possible so we say drop it off some time, 10 mins later the door knocks this is our evening to relax do people have no shame, literal pests.

[Edited on 13-09-2013 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloke owns a digger old queen is sarcastically saying we need a bit of earth levelling guess what, not interested. Fucking cunts
alan-g-w

13th Sep 13 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you didn't want it dropped off so soon why give an open invitation to have the guy drop it off at an unspecified time? And the fact is that his digger costs money to run, it wouldn't be a case of sitting on a couch with the telly on pressing buttons. You and your family sound like an awkward bunch
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sound like another cunt.
John

13th Sep 13 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's coming from someone who doesn't have to do it Alan.

Sitting on a couch pressing buttons takes up time, for doing something I'd be getting paid for during the day and that they'd have to pay for if they took it elsewhere.
alan-g-w

13th Sep 13 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might sound like one but you've proven time and time again that you in fact ARE a total cunt Steve.

I can appreciate that it would be annoying to do a favour for someone and have them act like a prick in return. Ultimately though, you either do it expecting nothing in return if that's what's been arranged, or if the person isn't a friend then do it for a pre-arranged sum. It's not hard.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Acting like a twat online = real life proof
Steve
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fixed laptop last night, didn't do anything that would affect any data. Back on the phone this morning saying he can't find his photos. Turns out they are in the recycle bin.

Luckily my dad is speaking to him I'd have told him to jog on.

I can't think of an other profession where this would be considered acceptable by anyone's morals.

[Edited on 14-09-2013 by Steve]
Aaron

14th Sep 13 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was a time when i used to get taken advantage of in terms of fixing other people's computers etc. The thoughts of the person dumping the said computer on you/us must be that, because it's only clicking a mouse and pressing a few keys, that it's a quick and easy job which takes no time and effort.

Now, when anyone tries it on, they're met with the line of "yeah i can sort that for you no problem, however, because it's something i'll be doing in my own time, i'll need paying for it thanks"
Steve
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also saying he can't connect it to the Internet. Wants to bring It to ours to see if he can connect. FUCK OFF
Steve
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I do Aaron, my old man unfortunately doesn't do this so this guy with be ringing him up for months now
Steve
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting thread

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/5384/how-do-you-deal-with-people-who-ask-you-to-fix-their-computer
John

14th Sep 13 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's one of the worst things about it. Fix computer, anything that happens with computer from then on must have been caused by the time you fixed it 3 years ago.
Aaron

14th Sep 13 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lifetime warranty
Ian W

14th Sep 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's one of the worst things about it. Fix computer, anything that happens with computer from then on must have been caused by the time you fixed it 3 years ago.

So true
Steve
Premium Member

12th Nov 13 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same bloke has turned up on our doorstep out the blue again tonight, been home from work no more than ten mins.

"Internet Explorer keeps coming up with not responding"
John

12th Nov 13 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm now getting texts from standard workers at a clients about his family's broken laptops
Dom

12th Nov 13 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Same bloke has turned up on our doorstep out the blue again tonight, been home from work no more than ten mins.

"Internet Explorer keeps coming up with not responding"

Should give him PC Worlds number
Steve
Premium Member

12th Nov 13 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"you get all sorts from going on these dodgy crappy sites like YouTube don't you"

Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Nov 13 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've managed to avoid grief for a while now. My Old man is capable enough so he tends to field most of the family queries, and most of my friends are from the IT industry anyway...

I do however have a neighbour on the estate who is loosely related to me. I've ratted around with his computer loads before, pretending I've not seen the awkwardly sick entries in his search/web history and explaining why things have gone tits up.

I now just fob him off by saying he needs to back his data up and reinstall windows, which of course he doesn't have a CD or license key for. Every time I speak to him he asks the same question "Can't you sort me a disk from work?"

GTFO

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Nov 13 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't miss those days.

Can you just do this simple five minute thing? Next morning all nighter still not fixed because their shit computer makes everything five times more shit.

Give it back - it doesn't do this or that, can you make it do this or that even though you've just done a full reinstall and got all your data back but you appear to care more about some shit software that came installed from new and is shit.

I get it a bit with cars now but its actually easier getting money out of people. Like they expect your time to be worth money. Make a note IT people, you are worth less than a mechanic.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll