corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » XBMC

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author XBMC
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th May 14 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello

OK, so I got an android box finally and installed XBMC on it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what addons I want?

Primarily I wanted TVCatchup which is working at least via the app through Play store. I also installed Icefilms but I'm wondering what the fuss is about? Just seems like a load of broken links and entering captchas for old movies? Am I missing something? Not the smooth navigation of thousands of movies I was expecting really

Any movies I do get to work, i only get sound too and a black screen

Also, these android boxes, is it just the one I've bought or are they all horrible to navigate with? I find I have to use a mixture of using the navigation buttons on remote then going into on-screen mouse just to work the damn thing.

[Edited on 30-05-2014 by Brett]
Dom

30th May 14 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With TVCatchUp, you can either use the Android app (like you're doing already) or there's a plugin for XBMC which might be better in terms of media player 'experience'.

Icefilms is good for recently released TV episodes or films but as you've found, after a few weeks or so 'sources'/links tend to die unless re-uploaded. So it's a bit useless if say, you wanted to starting watching a TV series from the start or an 'old' film.
FYI, BillionUpload sources are usually the best (download speed, usually no captcha unless it's busy) but as the plugin is a little broken it requires you to click the link three times before it loads correctly
Hopefully the next version (no idea of release), 1.5.0, will fix a lot of the issues with it - keep an eye on https://code.google.com/p/anarchintosh-projects/source/browse/addons/plugin.video.icefilms.

Sound with no video sounds like a codec issue; try downloading the file via the website and see if it plays, ie - rule out Icefilms plugin.

Other plugins - iPlayer and ITV Player are about the only others i use within XBMC. Obviously as you've got Android, you've got access to 4OD, 5Demand and a array of other TV-esque apps.

And as mentioned in your other thread, Android is a bit 'special' to navigate and use as a 'TV' interface; once you're in XBMC it should be better though.
Brett
Premium Member

30th May 14 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's beyond special, it's fucking horrible You're right tho, once in XBMC it's more tailored to using a remote, tho fairly useless when I just get a black screen when trying to play anything

So is icefilms the only place for movies? I went to someone's house and they had one of those OUYAs setup and I'm sure it was a hell of a lot slicker than this.

If it is a codec thing, how do I go about fixing that?
Brett
Premium Member

30th May 14 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that 1channel decent? That wasn't working either but after trying on the laptop. I assume it's because it's blocked by TalkTalk
Dom

30th May 14 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
If it is a codec thing, how do I go about fixing that?

Under Android, you're usually a bit fucked. Saying that though, Android tends to play most things.
Best bet is to download the video from Icefilms (same source etc), copy it to USB/SD card and see if XBMC and Android player (VLC etc) will play it; failing that, use something like MediaInfo (http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo), find out exactly what codec it is and then start Google'ing to see if there is a fix.

Alternatively download your films using the usual methods (and then dump them on your NAS box or USB/SD drive etc; you could then use the library feature of XBMC) and play them via XBMC or you can purchase films/TV shows via the Play Store.

Can't say i've used 1channel; give it a whirl i guess.
Brett
Premium Member

30th May 14 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh my, I was under the impression that this was the alternative to me downloading them

It seems I'm no better off with this than I was with my Plex box I thought Icefilms was supposed to be the shit
Dom

30th May 14 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't the original requirement for something that can stream from TVCatchUp with everything else being a plus point?

And Icefilms is far from 'the shit' but it's handy for newly released material. Either way, i'm surprised you haven't used the website before, that would have quickly told you what it's like

[Edited on 30-05-2014 by Dom]
Brett
Premium Member

30th May 14 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just went off people's recommendations on here!

Yes, the box will still do for what I wanted it for in particular, streaming live tv. I was excited however thinking I'd get a few of these for each room lol Not happening now.

Thanks for help.
gooner_47

30th May 14 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try this and this.

I had the same problem with audio but black screen (local file, not streaming) and I just needed to buy the codecs. Sorted it for me.

I've also heard good things about the "Mashup" add-on for streaming things. Give that a whirl.
Dom

30th May 14 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gooner_47
Try this and this.

I had the same problem with audio but black screen (local file, not streaming) and I just needed to buy the codecs. Sorted it for me.

Brett's not using a Raspberry Pi

[Edited on 30-05-2014 by Dom]
gooner_47

30th May 14 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So don't try that then... whatever....
scottyp1989

7th Jun 14 at 04:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had any problems with my android box. I've got things like hacker mill, pirate bay etc on there think there's around 12 different places to stream films from. Can you put an sad card in yours to upload a programme? Or memory stick?

New Poll