corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Amazon Echo - Jeff Bezos is listening to you masturbate

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Amazon Echo - Jeff Bezos is listening to you masturbate
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Nov 14 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still want one though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOCeAtKHIc

More info:

http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/ref_=ods_dp_ae

[Edited on 06-11-2014 by evilrob]
Cavey

6th Nov 14 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is a bit crazy the ampunt of information we give to companies without any thought! Google plus knows where I am and where I want to be each day every week.

The echo is a gimmick, but would be useful if I had a well paid powerful job and didn't have time to open the BBC news app in the morning
luciaadr

7th Nov 14 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why on earth would anyone want that in their house?

Siri anyone? Google now? Which have the advantage of being portable, and having a screen, and not listening to your every word.
Dom

7th Nov 14 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luciaadr
...and not listening to your every word.

Shirley it's no different to current phones, smart watches, Kinects? They're usually listening without prompting.

Although i agree, i'm a bit confused why you'd use this over a smart phone which'll do same I'd rather a Jibo tbh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N1Q8oFpX1Y.

[Edited on 07-11-2014 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Nov 14 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think this article from TechCrunch pretty much sums it up:

"This morning, Amazon announced a new device called Echo.

With a built-in, cloud connected, “always on” microphone, the Echo can listen for your voice “from across the room.”

You can ask it about the weather. You can tell it to set an alarm. You can ask it for information about Abraham Lincoln.

It’s a personal assistant in a tube!

But let’s be clear here on what this thing is beyond that — or what it will be.

Amazon is not in the business of telling you whether or not it will rain tomorrow.

Nor is it in the business of waking you up in the morning.

Nor is it in the business of teaching you about dead presidents.

Amazon is in the business of selling you things — and that is why Echo exists.

For now, Echo’s shopping-centric functionality is limited to helping you add things to your shopping list.

Need some pickles? Cool. Just say “Alexa, add pickles to my shopping list.” (Note: Echo listens for the word “Alexa” by default. You can pick a different name, it seems.) It won’t order them for you yet. It’ll just add them to a list for you to look at later.

But if Echo sees any sort of success, just watch how fast that will change.

You’ll be able to say “Alexa, order me a copy of Kung Fu Panda 2,” and it’ll be done.

“Alexa, order me some dope-ass high thread count egyptian cotton sheets.” Bam. Done. Sheets are on the way.

One-click purchase becomes no-click purchase. Your entire house (or at least, anything within earshot of Alexa) becomes the impulse-buy candy shelf from the grocery store’s checkout lane.

There’s a reason Prime members get the thing for 50 percent off: Prime members order more. Make it easier for Prime members to order even more, and they will.

Is that a bad thing? Nah. Amazon isn’t forcing these things into your home. And as someone who uses Prime every single day, I actually like the idea of being able to shout my stupid desires to my house and have things magically appear on my doorstep.

But just be clear on why Amazon would want to build something like this. Amazon doesn’t want to be a destination anymore; they don’t want to be something you have to go to; they want to be ubiquitous. They want their store “front end” to be floating in the ether all around you, just waiting for you to open your mouth."
luciaadr

7th Nov 14 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom, the distinction I was trying to make was my Google now only listens when I have the app open, not to when I'm boning the Mrs on the sofa. Can't speak for smart watches though, suppose you are right.

And I got the reference, but thanks for the link

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob

You’ll be able to say “Alexa, order me a copy of Kung Fu Panda 2,” and it’ll be done.

If I find one in a mates living room I'd be ordering them all sorts of shit!
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Nov 14 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luciaadr
If I find one in a mates living room I'd be ordering them all sorts of shit!

"Alexa, order me the complete works of Shakin' Stevens and Celine Dion"

[Edited on 07-11-2014 by evilrob]

New Poll