corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » my xe will b in soon looking to make it........

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author my xe will b in soon looking to make it........
corsa120

User status: Offline
25th Sep 04 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ever so slightly quicker dont want much extra but let me know of im wrong its a coscast lump with 153bhp

will be running,

no cat
custom exhaust from ascar
4-2-1 manifold
unichip
vipor filter/bmc filter unit

do u think it would push close to 170bhp if its a mechanically sound engine as that will be plenty just to have that bit extra over stock performance of the lump.

or what performance aids do u recommend for the xe apart from tb's dont want em
corsaandy

25th Sep 04 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say it would be about 165bhp if your lucky
Fad

25th Sep 04 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines 163 with just zorts and filter

got a better spec now so would be interesting to see how much power it has now
miles

25th Sep 04 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are 156bhp on the early non cat cars with coscast heads. The manifolds are 4-2-1 as standard, so whether gains whatever you fit depends on what its like I suppose.

Custom exhausts are a bag of worms really performance wise.

I personally wouldn't spend that much money on a unichip with such basic mods.

Also do the throttle body (butterfly) mod and remove the afm meshes.

I've seen standard XE's get 160bhp on rolling roads, which goes to show how far out a lot of rolling roads are.
and-m

25th Sep 04 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fadscorsa
mines 163 with just zorts and filter

got a better spec now so would be interesting to see how much power it has now

Dont take that as gospel though.
corsa120

26th Sep 04 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

end of the day 1.4/1.6 16v engines respond well to breathing mods and stock 1.6 16v with decent bmc filter/piper exhaust (or similar) can see 5-6 bhp more power, what im trying to say the bigger the engine and more power u have to start with means the more power gained from adding performance aids

take a subaru turbo and add a decent cat-back system they can gain like 20bhp just from that one mod, now take the none turbo subaru and fit same exhaust it will only gain 4-8 bhp if ur lucky, reason why is because turbo has more to start with, TTS bike tuning shop use this theory and he is best in the country so if any1 says im wrong its not me who said this
Joff

26th Sep 04 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Performance gains from the same mod aren't on a sliding scale depending on engine capacity.

Filters gain more on different applications because different applications are restricted in different ways.

Its not unheard of for some lairy Jap engines to lose power when the standard air system is removed - just because they perform so well it can't be improved on.
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but turbo engines are a different kettle of fish mate you cant compare how an exhaust gived power on a turbo and on a none turbo.... on a big power car and a smaller power car yes if yourtheory works then go for it but it all depends on the standard stuff you will be replacing, if you want a good custom exhaust go to hayward and scott, did my dads 911 exhaust and its amazing the diff that makes, his is a 3.2 NON turbo. in all honesty id say youll be getting 165+ with the mods listed abo=ve, id wait and fit cams and verniers before you get the mapping done.
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
Performance gains from the same mod aren't on a sliding scale depending on engine capacity.

Filters gain more on different applications because different applications are restricted in different ways.

Its not unheard of for some lairy Jap engines to lose power when the standard air system is removed - just because they perform so well it can't be improved on.

i.e. the best induction kit for the s2000 looses the car 15bhp doesnt it?!
corsa120

26th Sep 04 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like i said not my theory really

but the lump carries 156bhp in stock form, so to expect 10 bhp from the above mods is nothing at all, like i said 1.4/1.6 engines gain approx 3-5 from an exhaust/decent filter

and the standard 4-2-1 on these engines is a small bore u can replace with a more less restictive one
corsa120

26th Sep 04 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oooh i 4got my next door neigbour works for cosworth and he is getting my head gas floed by stuart cunningham top engine builder there for 100 quid
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the 4-2-1 your getting a bigger bore ,dont forget that a bigger bore dont necessaryly(sp) mean more power mate, can cause a loss of power mid range etc, end of the day its not about max bhp, its about how it delivers it.
corsa120

26th Sep 04 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i understand that m8 soon as i fitted my 4-2-1 on me 1.6 did'nt feel quicker but felt more revvy and less breathless which is delievry in a sense

yes the bigger bore 4-2-1 on xe will gain decent power seen j100rsa's when i was up there few mods its pushing 200bhp at fly

thats why im sure i can get 10-15 bhp from chip/filter/zorst/no-cat/head work
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

200 at fly, without throttle bodies?
corsa120

26th Sep 04 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well thats what he showed me lol but who knows lol

soon as engine is done, rocker/cam cover/power cap and few other bits are off to chromers and anodising
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sweet, can make engine bays looks so nice when cleaned up, mine looks so much better since i polished my cam cover up and removed the big yellow handle off the oi lfilelr cap
corsa120

26th Sep 04 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lfilelr
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes its a sunday morning and im tired trying to get the energy to go to my garage and fimish my gauge pod lol!
corsa120

26th Sep 04 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just do it dude
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i shall do, aiming to get the pod finished today and have my gauges wired up, well when i say wired up i mean lighting up! will plum the sensors in on the next oil change
LukeGSi

26th Sep 04 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
Also do the throttle body (butterfly) mod and remove the afm meshes

Please explain.
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at the throlle body, o nthe butterfly there is a wedge on it, remove the wedge. and the mesh on the afm.
LukeGSi

26th Sep 04 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gain?
miles

26th Sep 04 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a 'wedge' on the butterfly that is designed to assist low throttle positions and give a smooth low throttle power delivery. However at full throttle its an obvious restriction. Its easy to remove, but your left with 2 holes in the butterfly. Slightly countersink either side of the hole, and fill with chemical (jb) weld. Then trim back to smooth. Do a search on migweb for more details.

The AFM has meshes either side of it, these are pointless and a restriction, ditch them.

Turbo tuning is a lot different to n/a tuning.

If you had a 200bhp turbo engine and a 200bhp n/a engine, then fitted a 3" exhaust to both of them, the turbo would gain power and the n/a engine would most probably loose a bit of power, and a whole load of torque.

The more power a engine makes as standard, the harder it can become to tune.

Obviously its more plausable to get a 10 bhp gain from a 2 litre than it is from a 1 litre, but the gains to be had depend a lot on the quality of the standard items.
LukeGSi

26th Sep 04 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
The AFM has meshes either side of it, these are pointless and a restriction, ditch them

Is this worth while on c16xe?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll