corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.6 on throttle bodies

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 on throttle bodies
N90ATH

User status: Offline
21st Jan 05 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lookin at doin this instead of a xe conversion. first things first how much am i lookin and wot parts will i need to have the engine running great at a high bhp with the throttle bodies. and pics and sites with stuff would be a great help

cheers nath
Joff

21st Jan 05 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Expect to spend £3k for a nice setup.

http://www.sbdev.co.uk
N90ATH

21st Jan 05 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm thinkin a standard xe conversion would be better cos cheaper to mod methinks and better power to start with. hmmm decisions
Stu_22

21st Jan 05 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.jenvey.com/ see kit page

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/ engine management

Siberia

21st Jan 05 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what mileage has your engine done?

anyways you need

set of jenveys
fully mappable ecu
SBD idlers
ARP rod bolts
decent exhaust

your never gonna get the torque man... even andyH only has 148lbft and he has a mega spec

if you can get someone to insure a 2.0 get one of these instead dude....
N90ATH

21st Jan 05 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm thinkin more about the xe and i will gte insurance as i was gonna buy a 1.6 engine rebuild it with all the aprts then drop it in my corsa but thinkin xe will do, suppose i can get it lookin better as well with a xe more chrome goodies
Joff

21st Jan 05 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 tuned will be fun.

2.0 tuned will be more fun.

2.0 weight issue is just hype on road cars.
Rileysport

21st Jan 05 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.0 12v even more fun....

.... to blow up
N90ATH

21st Jan 05 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmm would it be about the same costs to tune a xe on tb as it would a 1.6
AJBek

21st Jan 05 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

about the same to TB a 1.6 as the full 2.0 conversion including engine (provided you fit it yourself). Performance is similar to a std 2.0 but you need to use the gears a bit more. The car is fun to drive, and personally I would rather have a TB 1.6 than a std 2.0, but I am now going over to a 2.0 TB for the extra torque and power.
Cybermonkey

21st Jan 05 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AJBek
Performance is similar to a std 2.0 ... but I am now going over to a 2.0 TB for the extra torque and power.

I agree with the lack of torque on 1.6 TB's, but its possible to get well over 200BHP from the 1.6.
miles

22nd Jan 05 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A decent tb'd C16XE will be quicker than an 20XE car assuming everything else is the same.

On the 1/4 mile at least, my Nova proved this.

Same cost to tb a 16xe and a 20xe.

If your the sort of person that pays £1500 for a XE conversion then your going to be done over for a lot of setting up and fitting of a tb set up.
AJBek

22nd Jan 05 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, some companies charge the earth for setting up Tbs, but it really isn't that hard if you stick with it, much easier than carbs IMO. I am hardly the greatest mechanic in the world, but carried out the full TB conversion in 2 days, if you are handy with the spanners it could be done in one day. As miles says you can do a 2.0 conversion for a lot less than the TB set up, but to use the correct driveshaft hubs, mounts etc wil cost 500 quid, and to get a decent rebuilt 2.0 XE which would be the same quality as the newer 1.6 would be about a grand I would reckon. Obviously you could just stick a 400 quid engine in, but not sure how reliable it would be if driven hard. Alternatively you could pay regal 1.5k to fit the 400 quid engine and save getting your hands dirty, but I wouldn't advise that

[Edited on 22-01-2005 by AJBek]
AJBek

22nd Jan 05 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
I agree with the lack of torque on 1.6 TB's, but its possible to get well over 200BHP from the 1.6.

Miles proved this with his nova, parallel TBs, pocket std pistons and uprated cams producing around 200bhp. This would wipe the floor with a std 2.0 corsa, as my car keeps up with them and it only as the TBs (std cams and pistons). AndyH has 214bhp from his 1.6 and sbd have got 250 (full race engine though). I thought about going down this route, but was a bit worried about the reliability and emissions on the car (R plate so has to pass the cat test, and is my only car which is driven every day). I also got the options of a freshly rebuilt 2.0 for a good price with known history. If I had another car, or the car was for racing I would probably have tuned the 1.6 to 200bhp as Miles did. I think the 1.6 is better suited to the lighter nova however, especially a stripped one where the torque deficit matters less. A corsa sport like mine with EW, Sunroof etc is closer in weight to an astra GTE, and the extra torque of the 2.0 is useful.
miles

22nd Jan 05 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still laugh at the those who pay £400 for xe's that come from cars worth £300, not when I'm selling though

If you can fit tb's, you can fit an XE, and vice versa.
Andy

23rd Jan 05 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:
Originally posted by AJBek
Performance is similar to a std 2.0 ... but I am now going over to a 2.0 TB for the extra torque and power.

You can get a reliable 180bhp from a TB'd 1.6 (with headwork decent manifold and mild cams) without the need to uprate the engine internals (apart from rod bolts). Anything more involves pocketed pistons, wild high lift cams, steel rods, special valve springs and a deep pocket. Then there's also the reliability - revving over 8500rpm means double springs, which SBD say should be replaced every 2K miles - ie engine rebuild - fooking expensive. You also need a close ratio gearbox, to make use of the extra revs and multiply up the torque at the wheels. This does give devastating acceleration (with loss of top speed) - enough to keep with most things, but be prepared to add £1300 quid for the priviledge

If you're aiming for a less expensive 200bhp, best to start with a 2L....
AJBek

23rd Jan 05 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy, how you doing mate is the car back on the road yet. Can't wait to finally see it, I seem to be a jinx on you as every time I am going to come down terrible things seem to happen to the car. Miles, you are so right mate, XEs seem to go for about 300 to 400 notes on mig etc, but you can buy the entire car for that at auction, take all the bits you need (they will all be there) and then break the rest to get some money back. My 2.0 came out of Kenny's mate Ally's GTE, his dad is using the shell for a racing astra with another rebuilt XE (Omega pistons etc) and I am using the engine and g/box for my car. The only problem was 8 bent valves, but I was wanting the engine rebuilt anyway as reliabiltiy is a pretty big issue as I need the car for work. Gives us an excuse for a bit of headwork as well.
Siberia

24th Jan 05 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what would a c16xe with a set of jenveys and some omex managment and some arp rod bolts with a 7500 rpm limt do? torque and BHP?

i'm buying the managment this week and hopefully the TB's soon but just starting to wonder is it all worth it.....
AJBek

24th Jan 05 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

power in the region of 150+ bhp, but torque will only be around 120 lbft. If you go to omega pistons and wild cams you can get 200bhp and up to 140 lbft but it is even more money.
Siberia

24th Jan 05 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that torque is crap i have 115lbft at the moment with a manztel
Andy

24th Jan 05 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
that torque is crap i have 115lbft at the moment with a manztel

I think you'll actually get a bit more than 120lb/ft, but the point is that with TB's you'll have a really wide spread of near max torque across the rev range, which means far quicker in gear acceleration
miles

24th Jan 05 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The point is that tb figures are generally quoted as genuine figures, whilst a lot of others are not, the 160bhp mantzel gang for instance....
Siberia

25th Jan 05 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get what you's mean..... it will feel torqueyer(dunno if thats a word ) than the actualy figure it should on the dyno.... roll on the TB's so...
AJBek

25th Jan 05 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, the figures don't tell the whole story, there is much more to a TB car than just peak torque and bhp figures. The car might not push you back into your seat like a big turbo car does, but on a backroad you will keep up with that same turbo car due to improved throttle response and the lack of any lag. The sound of TBs is worth 30bhp alone (at least to me it is lol) I would hate to go back to a std inlet now, the only reason I am going to the 2.0 is because I cna keep the TBs, no way would I have fitted a std 2.0 in place of the 1.6 TB. Just my opinion though.
masterx81

25th Jan 05 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also doing the tb's conversion of an 16xe... I'm thinking to use the GSXR trottle bodies, with megasquirt ecu...
This reduces the costs a lot!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll