corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Ubuntu Server 9.10

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ubuntu Server 9.10
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Nov 09 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone had any experience installing/setting up this version? I have a customer that needs a new client/server system in place using Win XP desktops, as they are a charity they don't have loads of cash to spend on hardware/software etc. so I am looking to set up Ubuntu Server for them (seeing as the OS is free and widely used I think this may fit the bill).

They basically need the server set up for file sharing (obviously), and they want to monitor user's Internet activities so I'm guessing I'll need to set up a proxy server of some sort so we can log web usage. Also if possible, when each client logs into the server I'd like the server to set up drive mappings for them when they log in to their Windows PCs (I've only ever set this up on NetWare and NT servers lol).

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
pow
Premium Member

25th Nov 09 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would also be interested to find some stuff out. Might just download it though and run it in a virtual machine
Richie

25th Nov 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drive mapping is simple - can be done via local group policy on the XP machines when you don't have a domain in place. You can template the default user account in the XP build so that any new user that logs on will have it.

With Ubuntu there's official documentation on using Squid which is what we use at work (thousands of clients) - along with AV and content filtering - guide here : http://www.howtoforge.com/squid-proxy-server-on-ubuntu-9.04-server-with-dansguardian-clamav-and-wpad-proxy-auto-detection

I would advise getting VMware server or ESXi on the go and start pissing about with it before you go full steam. How much are you charging them..... if you don't wanna do it sub the work to me
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Nov 09 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

filesharing on the server - google for ubuntu Samba

proxy on the server - google for ubuntu Squid
pow
Premium Member

25th Nov 09 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd advise running the whole thing on a virtual server for easy of backup tbh
PhilC

25th Nov 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does Ubuntu Server have a GUI?
moka

25th Nov 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PhilC
Does Ubuntu Server have a GUI?

no
pow
Premium Member

25th Nov 09 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CLI FTW
PaulW

25th Nov 09 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Kinda defeats the object and resoning behind the original post... Will add to un-needed complexity and overall cost to setup for what they need from it..

quote:
as they are a charity they don't have loads of cash to spend on hardware/software etc. so I am looking to set up Ubuntu Server for them (seeing as the OS is free and widely used I think this may fit the bill).
PaulW

25th Nov 09 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also Sam, look up CIFS...
PhilC

25th Nov 09 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
CLI FTW

Don't know enough of it... Would be wasting my time.
pow
Premium Member

25th Nov 09 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Kinda defeats the object and resoning behind the original post... Will add to un-needed complexity and overall cost to setup for what they need from it..

quote:
as they are a charity they don't have loads of cash to spend on hardware/software etc. so I am looking to set up Ubuntu Server for them (seeing as the OS is free and widely used I think this may fit the bill).

Ummm not really.

You can run virtualbox/vmware on anything and it makes backing up a whole lot easier. Just grab a copy of the VHD
Richie

25th Nov 09 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's no good for something like ESX as you need a VMFS backup app to pull it off the datastores.

Also makes restoring individual user files a pain in the ass, and you can't do differential backups...... no point in doing a full data backup every day.
Rob_Quads

25th Nov 09 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ubuntu Server will do the job - What you have to remember is that while the OS is free the tech support is not. Linux is just as expensive to get support for if not sometime more due to there being less people with good admin skills.

IMO I would not switch to a linux based server unless you have played around with linux a fair bit first. OK you might get it setup OK but when it goes wrong getting it working it totally different to windows.

As for the ESX comments. Have to say if you can run ESXi on the server with the SiteServer running within that then IMO its a more complete solution. Gives you the chance to backup the whole OS and you can still back up individuals files within the server so its protection from both sides.

Or just using vmware server on a minimal Ubuntu install and you don't need to mess around with VMFS files just a simple tar command onto another disk will do the job
Sam
Premium Member

26th Nov 09 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I didn't know Ubuntu Server doesn't have a GUI - will be just like the good old days of Novell NetWare and MS-DOS.

They don't have a server at the moment so I sorted out a box for that purpose, so no need to mess about on a VirtualBox or whatever, I can just do it straight on the PC.

I have some more questions - the box in question has a 40Gb HDD which will be used for the installation of Ubuntu and I am waiting on the delivery of a 320Gb HDD which is where all the user files will be stored.

Can I install Ubuntu now and then add (mount) the new drive later or should I set it up with the new drive in place?

If I want to manage the server remotely I assume I could do this via SSH (they have a static IP so no issues re. IP address)? Do I need to do anything special for this or can I set this up during the installation?

Can it be set up to automatically shut down at a certain time each day and they just simply press the power button on the front of the case when they get in to work in the morning (they don't want to leave it running 24/7 as they want to cut down the amount of electric they use - they are a charity after all so don't have much cash for anything LOL).
willay
Premium Member

26th Nov 09 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just install Ubuntu Desktop, it will do everything the server will do but with a GUI. Theres not alot of difference between the two.

You can add the disk later yes, with the desktop instead of the server it would be alot easier to add it because of the GUI.

You can manage it remotely via ssh, but you'll need to install it on the Desktop version (not too sure about the server but I'd assume it would have ssh enabled). To install SSH you just run the command sudo apt-get install openssh then just run ssh localhost to check if its running or not.

You can set up a crontab entry to shut it down which is the cleanest way, and them pushing the button in the morning should boot it up and start all the services automatically if you set it up correctly.

Just make sure you are comfortable with what you are doing before you commit to giving them a working installation otherwise you wont hear the end of it.

The great thing about operation systems like ubuntu is that you can do googles like 'ubuntu installing samba' and you'll find a guide on how to do it.
Sam
Premium Member

26th Nov 09 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know I can do searches for tutorials etc., I'd be doing that anyway but I just thought I'd ask on here first whether the things I wanted to achieve were possible or not.
xa0s
Banned

26th Nov 09 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Willay I just understood all of that.

Willay has taught me well.

Linux Administrator
xa0s

[Edited on 26-11-2009 by xa0s]
Sam
Premium Member

26th Nov 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, can I configure Ubuntu to make the tea? The server box has a CD ROM drive if that helps. Thanks.
willay
Premium Member

26th Nov 09 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with X10 adapters you probably could get it to turn on a kettle.
John

26th Nov 09 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or go ghetto and switch a relay with the printer port.
Sam
Premium Member

26th Nov 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Or go ghetto and switch a relay with the printer port.

That is so 1970 John.
Rob_Quads

26th Nov 09 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are going to use it as the server go for the LTS unless you want to do major upgrades on it every 6 months. Releases are only patched for 2 years, then you get sod all after that. They release a new version every 6 months.
The LTS releases are supported for a much longer time
Sam
Premium Member

26th Nov 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the tip Rob
PaulW

26th Nov 09 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
If you are going to use it as the server go for the LTS unless you want to do major upgrades on it every 6 months. Releases are only patched for 2 years, then you get sod all after that. They release a new version every 6 months.
The LTS releases are supported for a much longer time

+1

LTS really is the most viable solution in a server environment Not only that, but LTS releases are also geared more for stability compared to generic releases!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll