corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PS3: To buy or not to buy?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PS3: To buy or not to buy?
12vStig

User status: Offline
8th Jan 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seriously considering getting a ps3...

i've been looking and dont understand all this different generation hoodoo.

i've heard that the new slim is the 4th gen and is apparently not as good as previous models, which generation would experienced PS3ers recommend and why?

also for all you x-box folk... talk me out of buying a ps3

thanks y'all
mwg

8th Jan 10 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slim is fine. Had no problems with mine.

The last part of your post is asking for trouble, its just going to turn this thread in to an argument. I guarantee it.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 10 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get with the times
Tommy L

8th Jan 10 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a 40gb and now have the new slimline. I can't tell the difference between the two, although the slimline hasn't froze when playing a game unlike the old 40gb one.

PSN isn't the best and XBL is a lot better but apparently Sony are going to 'upgrade' and maybe starting charging a subscription like XBL

PS3 has blu-ray and upscales DVD's. But the xbox boys will say its a glorified DVD player. But tbh blu-rays are fantastic imo.

PS3 has wireless built in unlike the xbox so if you can't have an xbox next to your router then you either have to run a long cable to it or buy the wireless adapter which is £60.

Then you have the exclusives on each console.

I prefer the controller for the PS3 to the xbox one. Xbox is just too chunky but that is my opinion.

The yellow light from Sony or the RROD from Microsoft.

In terms of the xbox being the cheaper console, well, it isn't if you have to buy the wireless adapter so they are both similarly priced.
12vStig

8th Jan 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of the main perks to getting the ps3 for me was the free online play and the fact there was no RROD, i wasn't aware of any "yellow light." Is it common? is it covered by warranty?

Obviously the blue ray player is another huge pull and im sure i've read that some bundles come with an including HDMi cable so i'd be up and ready to go in terms of blu-ray and HD.

When you say the 40GB froze when playing a game... do you mean froze froze or just delayed whilst loading?

sorry about all the questions thanks again
Tommy L

8th Jan 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just occasionally froze when loading. I'd turn it off and back on and would be fine again. It may of been because i had it on the floor and just got hot.

As for the yellow light, nic barnes has had it twice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/09/playstation3_and_the_yellow_li.html

Says its mainly the 60gb ones but i don't know much info on it. I don't think its as common as the RROD but don't hold me to that.
Marc

8th Jan 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The slim isn't any better than the originals aside from the larger hard drives. Theres no superior model between them.

Yellow light is covered under warranty (1 year) As for it being common, I've not had any reports of one yet. The laser on the bluray can fail, but then the 360 has laser issues too.

Also, neither the PS3 or 360 comes with a HDMI lead, the 360 used to.

For the record I have both.
12vStig

8th Jan 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys, not often you hear this but CorsaSport has been a great help

as im now seriously seriously seriously considering it, anybody know any sites with good deals, or any good bundles I should take advantage of?

also im looking to get Pro Evo and COD as soon as, any deals with these thrown in?

thanks a gazillion
Tommy L

8th Jan 10 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=KT5416&title=sony_playstation_3_250gb_with_assassins_creed_2_and_fifa_10

Not Pro evo or COD but imo a good deal. Assassins Creed is supposed to be brilliant.

I'm sure Marc can tell you what he has on offer
Daveskater
Premium Member

8th Jan 10 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got myself a slim PS3 a couple of months ago and been loving it Blu rays are as good as they are made out to be, trust me. Get one of these HDMI cables, they're not that expensive especially for the quality of them. I got a 1.2 meter one a couple of weeks ago and it's really good. http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/premium-braided-hdmi-cable-06m-free-lcd-cleaning-kit.html

Tom - the 40GB ones had inferior cooling on the processor which caused them to break more often. My mate had a 40GB one that kept freezing and eventually broke, took it back to the shop and got given an 80GB because they had no 40GB's. No problems since.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Marc

8th Jan 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
I'm sure Marc can tell you what he has on offer

Still a few 80gb originals floating around at £249.99

120gb start at £249.99 for just the console up to £275 depending on games.

250gb are £285-£300.

Assassins Creed 2 bundle + MW2 is £299.99

Most of the bundles are out of stock at the moment, we sold a stupid amount over Christmas.
12vStig

8th Jan 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks a cracking deal i'll have myself a little bootch and see if theres anything better, cheers
fir3vip3r

9th Jan 10 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after owning both consoles i got rid of the ps3

tbh these days, both consoles are similar in graphics and all etc. most decent games that come out are multi platform etc.,

Its up to you, I got the 360 cheaper, and i prefer Halo, forza and the like so stuck with it. Also PSN is NOTHING on xbox live imo

At the end of the day, either choice youll be happy with tbh
GF-91
Banned

9th Jan 10 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Above, someone said the adaptors are 60 each, no they aren't.
They are much less than that now.
I got mine for free off a mate and have seen them in shops for 30.
noshua

9th Jan 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're planning on spending a vast amont of time playing online, get the XBOX 360.

Else, go for the console which has the best exclusives for your taste.

PS3 exclusive list - http://tinyurl.com/ps3exclusive
360 exclusive list - http://tinyurl.com/xboxexclusive

tbh, most of them in each of the list are shit or foreign - no doubt there will be a better list elsewhere.

[Edited on 09-01-2010 by noshua]
Tommy L

9th Jan 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GaryF
Above, someone said the adaptors are 60 each, no they aren't.
They are much less than that now.
Yeah argos must be wrong then.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=xbox+wireless+adapter&Submit=GO+%3E
Cavey

9th Jan 10 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My general thing on the choice of consoles is get whatever your mates have, you'll be borrowing games, and playing them online.

I got a ps3, because i've always preferred playstations to xbox's, and I like the whole media centre function, probably use it just as much for streaming films from the PC, and watching Blu-rays (which are amazing) as I do to play games on, although games have taken over at the moment with COD...

I got a 40gb a couple of years ago and it's not missed a beat, the yellow light thing isn't anywhere near as common as the RROD, but Microsoft know that and have it under 3 year warranty, so if it does screw up their after service is very good and you'll get it sorted within a week or two.

With regards to hard drive size it's apparently very easy to upgrade, their just standard 2.5" SATA drives, so you can pick up a 500gb for £40 or so, and I believe it doesn't void the warranty either.

Personally, I would only go for an Xbox as you can get it chipped and play "backups" but they are pretty good with cracking down so you wouldn't be able to go online, which is the main reason people choose Xbox, so, catch 22 really.

That's my 2 pence worth on the matter.

I would also say, with the PS3 being released a year or so after the 360, it'll probably be around a bit longer. (Not sure on that, just what I think will happen, Microsoft will bring out a next-next-gen first then Sony will follow suit I reckons)

[Edited on 09-01-2010 by Cavey]
Marc

9th Jan 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GaryF

Example?

No where online does them that cheap.
dannymccann

9th Jan 10 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Microsoft are apparently working on the Xbox 540 / 720 atm I think, rumour I saw on the internet somewhere.

The PS3 is quieter running, and more sleek looking. As said built in wireless is a bonus for the PS3, but you can get Xbox adapter for £40 from a proper online store (not fleabay).

As regards the online environment, my dad says he gets decent scores on COD with a fairly terrible connection, and my 8 year old sister does pretty well as well, so going by that users on PSN are generally casual gamers, whereas on 360 you get hardcore users, people who are proper into the games because thats the type on console it is

I prefer the Xbox controllers (having had a PS1 and 2 and this being my first Xbox), and you can get wireless versions of controllers and headsets for both consoles, with USB rechargable battery packs. As Cavey said, go with whoever you want to play games with has got, its more fun playing with friends than solo
mwg

9th Jan 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Play in a COD game that has Barnshaw in then tell me its for casual gamers
Tommy L

9th Jan 10 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PSN casual gamers? WTF The xbox is the more hardcore gamers console. I don't think the 'hardcore' gamers think, I know i'll buy the xbox as that is for the more hardcore gamer

[Edited on 09-01-2010 by corsa_tomtom]
dannymccann

9th Jan 10 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
PSN casual gamers? WTF The xbox is the more hardcore gamers console. I don't think the 'hardcore' gamers think, I know i'll buy the xbox as that is for the more hardcore gamer

[Edited on 09-01-2010 by corsa_tomtom]

Im just saying, every time I play on the Xbox its very difficult, whereas whenever I play on my Dad's PS3 to try and help him get his ranks up on COD it seems comparatively easier, thats all
mwg

9th Jan 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its probably just because the PS3's controller is easier to use so it just comes naturally to you TBH

[/bait]
dannymccann

9th Jan 10 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not biting because I personally prefer the Xbox ones
mwg

9th Jan 10 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll