corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » excessive smoking

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author excessive smoking
SRI-LEE

User status: Offline
9th Nov 10 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all iv just finished putting an x16xe in my car and its excessivly smokey its not on the road yet just running on the drive way it hasnt improved in the last week,been run up to temp numerous times,runs fine but eventually when the plugs foul up it starts missing ,take them out and clean them and it runs sweet as anything again just lots of smoke! doesnt really smell strong of oil though considering how much smoke there is,the car and engine have been sat around 5 months if this accounts for anything here is a pic of the substance in and dripping onto the floor out of my exhaust,i presume this coul;d just be all the water built up while its sat or part of the problem? and heres the plugs,everytime the car missis its always number 3 and 4 spark plugs 1 and 2 are fine as you can see from the pic,i just want to know the cause of this,if anyone has had this experience before please let me know many thanks lee, shaunmods was your exhaust like mine mate when your rings were shot?

[Edited on 09-11-2010 by SRI-LEE]
SRI-LEE

9th Nov 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any ideas
shaunmods
Premium Member

9th Nov 10 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm thats very weird looking that is. When the rings went on my the exhaust was just sooty as hell. But like you say lack of use and condensation/crap weather might be making it look different. As for the smell, when I revved mine up it absolutely stunk. After driving it my cloths would stink of oil etc to give you an idea how bad it was. With mine it got noticeably worse the more I drove it.

Heres a quick video of what mine did. You can hear it not running right as well, popping etc.

is that what yours is doing then Lee? Does it smoke on start up as well?

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by shaunmods]
SRI-LEE

10th Nov 10 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah it is strange i think its just to do with it been sat for a long time,mine doesnt really pop or anything only when it starts to run lumpy when it fouls the plugs,up and its smoking 100x more than yours ,yep its start smoking from the time you start it until you turn it off and chucks out alot more when revd up like yours il get a video of it at the weekend to show you how bad it is,think my best bet is just get it on the road give it a good run out and see if it just goes to how yours was thnaks for the help buddy
alan-g-w

10th Nov 10 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you considered valve stem oil seals?
AlexW

10th Nov 10 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it out, Rag it.

I presume the oil level is droppping? Could be stem seals although i doubt it. If it smokes like funk under load, then piston rings.
SRI-LEE

10th Nov 10 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought a rebuilt head off a guy on here,so from feedback about him id say thats spot on i think its more likely the rings as the guy i bought it off came acro0ss an utter arsehole to be honest,il get it on the road and test it like you all say only thing i can do really thanks guys
Paulo 16v

10th Nov 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like bottom end more than top end to me. Even looks like oil in the exhaust (like emulsified oil you get on short journeys). An engine shouldn't smoke like that unless somethings wrong.

I think your wasting your time getting it on the road. Strip it before you rely on using it everyday is my advice.
SRI-LEE

10th Nov 10 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i know what you mean,but im jsut going to get it on the road give it a good run out then if its still as bad as it is(which it probably will be) i can source a cheap run around and swap insurance onto that its easy enough,just a pisstake doing it all again cause il have to by majority of same parts again paint everything again just a nightmare really but i wont be doing it till after xmas if it is nackerd
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Nov 10 at 06:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like mostly water in your exhaust, I'd take it for a good blast. If your head was anything like bozgsi sent me, which was meant to re-con was well fucked

All you sensors, leads, coilpack, and timing ok?
philip2

11th Nov 10 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i rebuilt the head so i know its not that.

were the rings wet when you took them out? as thats usually over fuelling....which you would obv of smelt the fuel or oil and the rings are fucked.

my c16xe that ive just rebuilt had half the back of the piston missing between the 2nd ring and oil ring and would burn oil like hell...except i didnt notice until oil light flicked 10min after just putting oil in and then stripping it down.
SRI-LEE

11th Nov 10 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks guys,philip2 i know i wasnt doubting you as its spot on just as you said im fairly certain its no doubt the rings as the guy i bought it off was a right pikey so obviously the reason he took it out,thing is stupidly i replaced everything else on the engine apart from the rings there wasnt any scoring on the bores or excessive play so i thought the ywere ok but more likely not now,il get it on the road see if it helps,and want to give it a good run out anyway its been sat 5 months so brakes etc need a good bit of use ,il be more likely stripping it down at are garage in the new year,just so annoying shitty x16xe engines lol, il get a video tomorrow or at the weekend to show you how bad it is ,ht leads new coilpack nearly new,timing all good like i say it runs perfect just smokes like hell and eventually fouls the plugs up
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Nov 10 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rings then dude. Bugger.

Cool at least you know the head is good.

Go for a overbore if you can
SRI-LEE

13th Nov 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i think its rings,heres a vid of how bad it is :O might try get a better one later with my phone camera didnt film for very long, dont think i have a hope in hell of it clearing lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boTTHIW5q6I
ShEp

13th Nov 10 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats fucked.

It's not just the rings, something is letting moisture in too.
SRI-LEE

13th Nov 10 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any ideas mate?

this is after holding at 3000rpm for a short while not good! neighbours hate me! lol wish it was fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNW5bfRqPkg

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by SRI-LEE]
mike56gte

13th Nov 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck me thats some smoke. rings must really be fucked!!
Paulo 16v

13th Nov 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't even bother stripping it mate, thats fucked, the money you spend on trying to make it good again will out weigh the price of another engine. Cut your losses mate, the bloke must have been a pikey!!
SRI-LEE

13th Nov 10 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he definatly was!! thing is i risk the same problem again!! i hate x16xe's
AlexW

13th Nov 10 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont listen to the "just put another engine in" Its a used engine, Your always end up doing the same bits again and again.

Strip it, measure the bores, Hone, and Go for some new rings or if needed a overbore, I know of some .5mm pistons/rings if you need.

And its not just baby xe's, it could happen with any engine.

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by AW06]
ShEp

13th Nov 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the header tank like?

Try running it with the oil cap off,

I'd say it's pretty goosed.

Going to need the head looked at, rings maybe pistons, rebore etc etc
shaunmods
Premium Member

13th Nov 10 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell and there was me thinking mine was bad One thing I did notice though is the smoke come out of yours is a lot whiter than mine, and it seems to be constant rather than just under load? Is it loosing any coolant at all mate?
daine
Premium Member

13th Nov 10 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look`s to white to be ring`s Lee, think it could be head gasket + looking in exhurst, if it were mine I`d be looking at a rebuild, not another engine, good look
SRI-LEE

14th Nov 10 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah ano guys im totally confused on what to do,like you say it is more white but it does smell strongly of oil,the coolant bottle is new and so is the coolant and its never gone down or changed colour still fresh blue coolant,the head has been rebuilt its had the headgasket replaced i did everything while it was out apart from the rings cant beleive it not sure what im going to do,im goign to get it on the road for a day to move it and will get it stripped down at my garage in the new year and try see what the problem is all i can think of is rings but i dont get why its so white and the whole gungy exhaust its a strange one
Paulo 16v

14th Nov 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SRI-LEE
thing is stupidly i replaced everything else on the engine apart from the rings there wasnt any scoring on the bores or excessive play so i thought the ywere ok but more likely not now

When you say you checked the bores did you spin the engine over by hand when the head was off, and look at all four bores?

You know the heads good so i'm going to go back on what i said and agree with AW06. Buying a second hand engine is always a risk no matter what engine. For the sake of a few hours strip it again and see what you find and then go from there. Then you can cost it all up and work out if financially its worth rebuilding or spending a bit more and buying an exchange engine from a motor factors that will have a warranty. Either way good luck and hope it gets sorted

Paul

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll