corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Indoor Freeview aerial

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Indoor Freeview aerial
deano87

User status: Offline
28th Nov 11 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spend most of my time at the Mrs parents place as we have our own living room/lounge. As a result got out 37" LCD TV there. Nothing fancy, just standard Freeview.

We are limited to an indoor aerial as it's a rented place and also quite an old building, so the estate which it is on is a bit funny about exterior changes etc.

Therefore we use quite a standard indoor aerial which has no power input.

Now it's winter, every time a bus, lorry, tractor (as in the country) and car (on some channels) the bloody thing distorts and loses signal. This is irritating more than anything but I also don't want the continous break up to damage the TV.

Is there an advantage in investing in something like this:
ONE FOR ALL Full HD Amplified Indoor TV Aerial - black & aluminium

Or better off just getting something which is amplified like this:
ONE FOR ALL SV9141 42dB Amplified Indoor TV Antenna

And how good are indoor aerials for Freeview HD as I'd soon like to get a Freeview+HD recorder?!

N3CRO

28th Nov 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sister has a booster for hers and its abit crap unless its in the exact right spot. Having said that, her rooms always been abit funny about tv reception.
I have a non amplified one and it works a treat.
deano87

29th Nov 11 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Non-amplified one is fine in the summer, just not so good in the winter
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought one of the One for All ones...absolutely shite, took it back.
Baskey

29th Nov 11 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv tried a couple all shit. Can't you stick a proper one in the loft?
Sam
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indoor aerials are a waste of money.

Your options really are:

- a loft aerial
- cable TV/BT Vision
- watch TV over the Internet
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...or a tv sender, which is what I have.
Sam
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Explain to me your set up again Brett? I remember you were talking about this a while back but I don't know what the outcome was in your case.
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just used a splitter on the main TV aerial downstairs so that could feed a seperate freeview box I bought (a mini one), then that plugged into a sender. Got a receiver upstairs and because I've got the seperate freeview box it means the upstairs TV can choose it's own channel independently. Just saves me tapping into the aerial on the roof, was around £40 all in for box/sender. Bear in mind tho, I tried a cheap sender first and it was wank! Price definitely matters in that case and you need to get the 5.8GHz ones.

[Edited on 29-11-2011 by Brett]
pow
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just crack an ariel up somewhere hidden, it really isn't as hard as it 'looks'
Robin
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got a link to that system Brett? sounds exactly like what I need.
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Just crack an ariel up somewhere hidden, it really isn't as hard as it 'looks'

Na, it isn't hard to stick an aerial in the attic, have done it in the past, but it totally depends where you're needing to run the wires to. In my case it wasn't an option.

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
You got a link to that system Brett? sounds exactly like what I need.

Mini freeview box was this one I think, fits on the DVD rack with the DVDs lol http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-BLACK-DIGITAL-SET-TOP-FREEVIEW-BOX-TWIN-SCART-/180533949614

I'd say you could use any 5.8GHz senders so you're not limited to this kind http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKKAI-WIRELESS-5-8GHZ-HQ-TV-AUDIO-VIDEO-AV-SENDER-RECEIVER-KIT-/320801015980

I haven't searched round for cheapest prices, so you may better those. Also, you'll need a 50p 2-way splitter for your aerial.

DON'T BUY THE SPECIFIC SENDERS I LINKED FROM THAT SELLER AS THEY DON'T INCLUDE THE IR REPEATER. You'll need to search for someone else selling them if you want they particular kind.

[Edited on 29-11-2011 by Brett]
Robin
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it'll work with a TV with built in freeview?
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean? The TV receiving has built-in or your trying to send the signal from one with it built in?

If it's the first then yeah it'll work fine, you'll just use the scart channel then the seperate freeview box remote to change channel remotely.

If it's the second then probs not, no, you'll need the additional freeview box.
oceansoul

29th Nov 11 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An amplified aerial will just amplify the signal. It wont make it any better.
Robin
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically what I need to do it split the signal from the digital aeriel, feed one into one DVB TV and the other signal needs to go into this magic sender thingy, the other one of those will go into the back of the TV in the other room and we can watch digital in two rooms.

If that's right?
John

29th Nov 11 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, you aren't sending the aerial signal via the sender.

You'd need a second freeview box which the split aerial goes into, then it's sent to the TV in the other room.
Robin
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GAY.

I need to do it the other way.
oceansoul

29th Nov 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You cant retransmit the UHF signal from the aerial. I think its illegal to anyways.
Dom

29th Nov 11 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
GAY.

I need to do it the other way.

Not possible, plus it's illegal.
The only wireless option you have is to send the output of a tuner, in Brett's case the tuner being a freeview box. If you're wanting to do HD then you'll need a HD wireless sender and they are £200+ ish.

Otherwise purchase an amplifier, some coax and distribute the feed properly.

Deano - You might be lucky with an amplified indoor aerial but I don't think it'll correct the interference issue entirely (certainly i struggled with a ONE FOR ALL when I was back at uni). I'd also use Argos, they don't tend to argue if you want to take stuff back.

Although I would ask the Landlord and see if they are willing to install a proper antenna (a loft antenna would suffice) to the property; it's beneficial to not only you but to future tenants as well.

[Edited on 29-11-2011 by Dom]
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I'd also use Argos, they don't tend to argue if you want to take stuff back.

Funny you'd say that because that's where I got my One4All piece of crap knowing full well it could be shit and would need to return it lol I just went in and said it's crap and that was that, money returned.
Brett
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just noticed my thread linked at the bottom from a few months ago wanting the same thing Robin does

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=609524
deano87

29th Nov 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you for the info.

Exterior one might be an option but they don't intend on being there long. There isn't much of a loft due to the age of the house.

What does an amplified aerial do over a bogo standard non powered/amplified one?
Cavey

29th Nov 11 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It, er, amplifies the signal....

If you've got a weak signal it'll make it stronger, which should give a better picture
Robin
Premium Member

30th Nov 11 at 08:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem I have is the block of flats we live in already has a digital aeriel, with an input into our flat.

Our flat is the penthouse and has two floors, the main digital feed goes into the living room (which is upstairs) and is then split into the TV and back onto the wall which then emerges downstairs in the 'dining room'

there's also another socket on the wall which goes to the other side of the room upstairs, which is directly above our bedroom.

the other bedroom has an analogue aeriel socket in it.

what I want is digital TV in our bedroom, which has no socket.

by the sounds of it, what I need to do is use a freeview box on the signal upstairs, with a transmitter thing to our bedroom? then feed the other signal back into the wall as it already is, and into the upstairs TV again, so I need to split it 3 ways?

If I do this, I guess the built in freeview in our TV becomes kind of obsolete?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll