corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Aerial transmitter??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Aerial transmitter??
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   11th Jul 11 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, I've got an aerial on a pole on the roof that works great. I want to have TV in another room in the house, but it's totally the opposite side of the house that the aerial is running down. I don't really want to run a wire across the house or through the attic or any effort like that.

Is there any kind of transmitter I can get that I can plug into the good working aerial, that will transmit the signal further to the TV in the other room so an indoor aerial could pick it up? Currently the indoor aerial picks up a whopping zero channels

Not really sure if anything like this exists. I know you can get video senders which will show whatever's being output from a skybox or whatever, but currently I'm just getting by using the built in freeview on the TV, so there's no boxes to take a feed from for a sender as such.

Any help is much appreciated as usual

[Edited on 11-07-2011 by loafofbrett]
_Allan_

11th Jul 11 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I hope their isn't such a device because I spent ages installing an eight way signal booster in the loft and running fresh cables to each room in the house

New build though so wasn't that bad
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something like this?

http://amzn.to/nvJsr6
Brett
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na mate, you mustn't have made it to the third paragraph
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It says compatible with satellite and digital TV.

Seeing as analog TV will soon be scrapped, won't Freeview come under the "digital" bit?
Brett
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I thought I'd covered this above, but as far as I'm aware, these sender literally send one feed of whatever you're pumping through them, whether it be the current sky channel/freeview box channel/etc. hence the remote IR extender supplied. I want to enhance the aerial range so the TV in the other room can select channels independently. Analogue is already scrapped too as far as I know. Not sure if it's the question you don't understand or the nature of the video senders you posted, but cheers anyway
Dom

11th Jul 11 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a look into this a few months back for a project (digital distribution) and from what I gathered there isn't unfortunately anything available as it's classed as re-broadcasting and that is illegal. Although oddly video senders don't fall under this restriction. Only solution is to either extent the RF connection (or distribute via an amp) or bodge it by connecting a tuner (freeview box etc) in the room with the feed and then use a scart video sender.
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do understand the question Brett, I just thought that product would do the job.
Brett
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I had a look into this a few months back for a project (digital distribution) and from what I gathered there isn't unfortunately anything available as it's classed as re-broadcasting and that is illegal. Although oddly video senders don't fall under this restriction. Only solution is to either extent the RF connection (or distribute via an amp) or bodge it by connecting a tuner (freeview box etc) in the room with the feed and then use a scart video sender.

Yeah, I did think there might be legality issues, as I could literally broadcast my own channels I have found devices abroad that could do the task I want, but they sound like they've got a very very limited range and I can see I'd end up wasting my time messing around.

I did also consider that other option you mentioned of bodging in a seperate freeview box out of the way plugged into the good aerial and using a sender, but clearly that'd just be me being mega lazy I may very well have to go down the old fashioned wired route it seems

If I split the current wire from the aerial would I most definitely need to buy a booster to redistribute or could I get away with just splitting it? Not like boosters are dear or anything, it's just I'd likely have the problem of powering that bloody thing in the attic then
Dom

11th Jul 11 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I do understand the question Brett, I just thought that product would do the job.

Unfortunately not as all a video sender does is transmit a single video/audio feed (which you supply it, they don't have built in tuners) and not the whole RF spectrum, the latter being what you want and illegal (from everything i've read).
Sticking a video sender on a freeview box is about the closest you're going to get.

Edit - A single split you should be ok but ideally you should use a distribution amplifier. And i recommend using F connector where ever possible, infact most distribution amplifiers now use F connectors rather than cacky RF connectors.
By the way, have you got links to the devices you found?

[Edited on 11-07-2011 by Dom]
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right OK.

At the new house we're moving to they haven't got a TV aerial, so we're going the lazy (and expensive) route of having Sky HD installed

Might bookmark that link I posted though as if I get a TV upstairs I might buy it to send the Sky signal upstairs!

[Edited on 11-07-2011 by Sam]
_Allan_

11th Jul 11 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
If I split the current wire from the aerial would I most definitely need to buy a booster to redistribute or could I get away with just splitting it? Not like boosters are dear or anything, it's just I'd likely have the problem of powering that bloody thing in the attic then

Not always. Depends on how good a signal you get in a the first place. If a powered one is out the question. I extended the upstairs ring main into the loft for lighting and a double socket for a powered version. You could always take a punt on one of these. Not too expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-Way-TV-RF-Coax-Coaxial-Cable-Splitter-CATV-Signal-/190548551544

[Edited on 11-07-2011 by _Allan_]
Brett
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys. I've found some mini freeview boxes, so I think I'm gonna go down the lazy route and use a sender and hide it all away

New Poll