corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple iPhone 5s/5c

New Poll
  <<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple iPhone 5s/5c
Dom

User status: Offline
10th Sep 13 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Clearly though it doesn't take a genius to see 120fps recording, a 64bit architecture and a fingerprint sensor squeezed into a home button that (on first impression) works brilliantly are pretty big advances in less than 12 months, fan boy or no fan boy.

In which case you could say the same about Nokia with their 41MP sensor or optical stabilisation, or Samsung adding 4K recording to their Note 3, yet i haven't seen you show the same enthusiasm about those advances.

If the AuthenTec sensor is secure, ie - it can detect the difference between a live finger print and otherwise, then it becomes pretty impressive as it's then a decent security feature and would appeal to enterprises/businesses (to some extent anyway). If not, then it's merely a gimmick as it does nothing that hasn't been achieved on mobile devices before and something that could easily be fooled (and in some cases makes it easy to gain access).
Now, if they stuck the sensor within the display layers, covering the whole screen, then i'd be a bit more inclined to ponying up for one as then it becomes pretty

And Samsung built a mobile phone 120fps sensor last year, granted i don't think they fitted it to a phone, but it's as innovative in the sense of Apple picking it off the shelf and stuffing it into their phone.

64bit could offer better performance (bandwidth) but it depends on the surrounding architecture and how they're using the extra addressing - we'll have to wait until there is a break down of the phone.

Anyway, this is the same as any other year - fanboi's lap it up, haters hate and everyone else looks as the so called 'advances' and makes opinions on that. As said, the dual-flash, camera and associated apps/features seemed pretty decent; still think the rest of it is a bit of a let down though.
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
What if you have a plaster on your thumb

Then it won't work, same as any other reader/sensor.

Question is, can the AuthenTec sensor distinguish between a single persons prints (i would assume so and if that's the case then it's probably best to set up a few prints)?
How does it handle 'broken' or damaged prints, ie - cuts/scars?
Can it detect the difference between fake/'gummy' and real prints?
Can it detect live prints, ie - severed fingers?

Although a properly setup passcode is still more secure though.

quote:
As for not being useful, this is just the start, my phone will be more secure as I could never be arsed with a passlock. No more entering passwords for App Store purchases either.

Handy for your mates when you next pass out; gives them quick access to your phone
John

10th Sep 13 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are they going to do with their whole everyone on the same OS thing if the 5C isn't 64 bit. I would expect it to be next year though so maybe they just don't care.
John

10th Sep 13 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also while on the subject, although not very secure, you can't get better than just looking at the phone and it unlocking. Why did everyone hate on that? I actually still use it.
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 13 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Face Unlock at its best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BwfYSR7HttA
John

10th Sep 13 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not worried about someone with my picture getting into it though, only if it was stolen.

This doesn't work for enterprise but it works for me and saves me entering a passcode/swipe/whatever(most of the time), which I hate.
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
What are they going to do with their whole everyone on the same OS thing if the 5C isn't 64 bit. I would expect it to be next year though so maybe they just don't care.

OS is compiled into two flavours i would imagine; developers will have to start doing the same with apps.
John

10th Sep 13 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I mean, have they not slagged android off about that for years, now it's ok because they do it? (I know the android thing isn't hardware architecture)
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Face Unlock at its best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BwfYSR7HttA

Another useless feature
A2H GO

10th Sep 13 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Face unlock is nowhere near as convenient, or secure as pointed out above and only works 1 in 10 times going off past experience, that's why no one uses it.

If compiling for 64 bit architecture is as simple as clicking another button in Xcode it's hardly comparable to developing for a million different screen sizes and firmwares.

Be interesting to see how Samsung go about copying this with the all new S-touch. Any benchmarks about yet?

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by A2H GO]
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
only works 1 in 10 times going off past experience

Stop doing a duck pout into the camera when you're setting your reference image, it's harder to replicate

I find the face thing alright, but still never use it as I'm old hat and like my pincode.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
quote:
Any US contract free prices?

5C
16GB - $549
32GB - £649

5S
16GB - $649
32GB - $749
64GB - $849
won't be buying one in Florida then

+TAX

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 13 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reading into the way the 64-bit side is done it should not be too tricky and you can build a copy of your app with both the 64-bit and 32-bit version included.

If it only took them 2h to convert Blade 3 to run under 64-bit I don't think it will be too tricky for most much smaller simpler apps
A2H GO

10th Sep 13 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:
64bit cpu is a bit special

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Jaguar

Confused about them making a big thing about the 'motion processor M7'.....it's just a gyro, multi-axis accelerometer and a compass in a single package?

Obviously testing it for the iWatch
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's what I mean, have they not slagged android off about that for years, now it's ok because they do it? (I know the android thing isn't hardware architecture)

Isn't Apple's slagging more aimed at software fragmentation (both platforms suffer from it tbf) of Android rather than Android's hardware (ie - intel and arm flavours) fragmentation?

I suspect the only difference is purely compiling for the two hardware flavours. So for developers, XCode will take care of it all and will just compile the two flavours at build time; and i imagine something similar for when Apple compiles iOS.

It's when they start peeing around with the API and introducing different methods/functions that it becomes an issue.
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If it only took them 2h to convert Blade 3 to run under 64-bit I don't think it will be too tricky for most much smaller simpler apps

Which makes it sound like you need to make coding changes to 32bit apps for the 64bit hardware, rather than simply getting the compiler to pump out a 64bit variant
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shops going to be busy for 5S on 20th then with only 5C on pre order this Friday?!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Confused about them making a big thing about the 'motion processor M7'.....it's just a gyro, multi-axis accelerometer and a compass in a single package?

My point is - does the M7 actually offer anything other than sticking three sensors within a single package? If not, then there are other manufactures doing the same.
Tbh, it sounds like one of InvenSense SMD's.

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by Dom]
A2H GO

10th Sep 13 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe they added additional code to take advantage of the 64bit update.

The tweetbot developer says tweetbot compiles in 64 bit flavour straight off with no amendments.
A2H GO

10th Sep 13 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

My point is - does the M7 actually offer anything other than sticking three sensors within a single package? If not, then there are other manufactures doing the same.

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by Dom]

Not sure on the details but a higher degree of accuracy coupled with more efficient use of the battery from what I can see.
Dom

10th Sep 13 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Not sure on the details but a higher degree of accuracy coupled with more efficient use of the battery from what I can see.

Sounds like marketing spiel Ash

Will have to wait until there's more info on it but it sounds like they're making it more glamorous than it actually is.
John

10th Sep 13 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as the 64bit thing. Good they are moving forward but its more marketing than being a major change.
Russ

11th Sep 13 at 04:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL at the cutting thumb off to look at pictures of people's cats
A2H GO

11th Sep 13 at 06:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Sounds like marketing spiel Ash

Will have to wait until there's more info on it but it sounds like they're making it more glamorous than it actually is.

Never said it wasn't. Already said though why they'll be making a big deal of it.
Rob_Quads

11th Sep 13 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Which makes it sound like you need to make coding changes to 32bit apps for the 64bit hardware, rather than simply getting the compiler to pump out a 64bit variant

32-bit apps will still run on 64-bit hardware so you don't NEED to do anything. Just like Windows - you can run a 32-bit app in 64-bit windows.

Only if you want to get the gains from going to 64-bit you need to make changes but not exactly major. 2h of dev time is nothing in the scale of an app development. I don't want to think how long it took the product I work on to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, your not even talking days!

[Edited on 11-09-2013 by Rob_Quads]

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll