corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple iPhone 5s/5c

New Poll
  <<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple iPhone 5s/5c
Dom

User status: Offline
13th Sep 13 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Yeah that's great but what about Android and all the apps?

As for fragmentation, Google are slowly changing that.....

....there's talk of them separating out Network/Manufacturer customisation from Android's core

So bacially they're making it less open. What was that about irony?

You what?

Engage brain before writing Ash
Balling
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh these threads...

A2H GO

13th Sep 13 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That reads to me as though Google are limiting what OEM's can do in terms of accessing core parts of Android?

Dom

13th Sep 13 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That reads to me as though Google are limiting what OEM's can do in terms of accessing core parts of Android?

To me, as well as a few Android forums, it'd appear OEM's will still be able theme Android and provide they're own apps, the difference is that Google will take control of updating the core of the OS as it's quite clear OEM's an unable to provide updates, especially security updates, in a timely manner.

Other than this, Android will still remain completely open and OEM's can happily fork it if need be.
John

13th Sep 13 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reads to me that currently, to customise the way it is just now, access to parts of Android core are required, which then mean longer upgrade cycles.

If they modularise that (which is good practice anyway) the customisations won't need access to this core (not that it's being revoked) so will speed up the upgrade process, potentially meaning that no or little upgrades to the interface are required for a new version of Android.
A2H GO

13th Sep 13 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see, so as part of this 'separation' Google will be able to push updates to the left and middle box's in the below list, using the Play Store but not the right (which will require an actual OS update)?

Seems quite limited, they can't change the UI?

[Edited on 13-09-2013 by A2H GO]
Bart

13th Sep 13 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently no mention of a Iphone 5s pre-order date (if it will even be available for preorder):
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/iphone-5s-will-not-be-available-for-pre-order/
Dom

13th Sep 13 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I see, so as part of this 'separation' Google will be able to push updates to the left and middle box's in the below list, using the Play Store but not the right (which will require an actual OS update)?

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/playservicesdiagram2-640x378.png

Seems quite limited, they can't change the UI?

No, that's what they're attempting now with Play service just to provide some form of control to some of the services and Google apps.

The plan, well rumoured to be the plan, with KitKat and going forward (might even be Android 5> is to create separation between the interface (and what OEM's can customise) and the core operating system which means Google can provide core/OS updates without the need of OEM's interaction; which is what currently happens (OEM's customise, compile and push the update out) and is one of the main issues causing fragmentation - OEM's are either slow at pushing out updates (just look at HTC) or reluctant to release updates (device is discontinued etc).

Think we're derailing the thread nicely but it was just in response to your comment regarding Android's fragmentation and what Google are trying to do about it.

[Edited on 13-09-2013 by Dom]
Rob_Quads

13th Sep 13 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they will still be able to upgrade the stuff on the right but many of it will have stuff that sits on top of it which will not be updated and that will be down to the manufacturer.

Its the right way to go as they have completely failed so far to provide decent upgrade support. At the main stage release of 4.0.0 they said they have FULL support from virtually all the main manufacturers to provide quick updates to their products when the core system had been updated. This just hasn't happened.

They HAVE to remove function to provide this ability. Currently a manufacture can change anything they like on the phone. If its done via another layer where the OS is updated underneath it you need an API - that API can only give you access to certain things (How many things you loose access to that you need is a different question)
A2H GO

13th Sep 13 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't mean to derail the thread however the discussion is still in response to Apples 64bit update.

^^ That's what I'm getting at, in order for Google to 'de-couple' the core of Android from OEM customisation there's got to be some loss in what OEM's are able to do unless they create API's for everything. Don't get me wrong, it's obviously a good thing (since all the skins are terrible anyway), will just be interesting to see how they walk the line between separating stuff out without restricting access.
Nath

13th Sep 13 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure I'm geeky enough to participate in this thread anymore
Rob_Quads

13th Sep 13 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i guess the big problem for google is if they don't give the manufacturers enough capability then they will just continue doing what they do at the moment, even if there is a skin API it will be the manufacturers decision to use it or not.

If they are able to crack it, it will be a HUGE step forward for them and will reduce the version spread they have at the moment.
Dave

13th Sep 13 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Not sure I'm geeky enough to participate in this thread anymore

You say that as though it's a bad thing.
DaveyLC

13th Sep 13 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
apparently no mention of a Iphone 5s pre-order date (if it will even be available for preorder):
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/iphone-5s-will-not-be-available-for-pre-order/

No Pre-order for the 5S, you'll have to queue.. What are they thinking?
A2H GO

13th Sep 13 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ They don't have enough given the new hardware required for the fingerprint sensor coupled with launching in China on the same day. I doubt they've done it on purpose.

Could be quite lucrative for people getting hold of them this time.
Balling
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
No Pre-order for the 5S, you'll have to queue.. What are they thinking?
Isn't pre-ordering just a different form of queueing?

John

13th Sep 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll get 1 for me and one for gf I think. Sell on if they get good money, or just use it until the nexus 5 comes out and make my decision then.
John

13th Sep 13 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be queuing like an idiot btw, will just order it and wait until Monday to get it.
A2H GO

13th Sep 13 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm hoping to pick up two and make enough profit on one to fund the difference between my 5 to keep the other.
Dom

13th Sep 13 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
i guess the big problem for google is if they don't give the manufacturers enough capability then they will just continue doing what they do at the moment, even if there is a skin API it will be the manufacturers decision to use it or not.

It's clear OEM's were asked to keep devices updated in a timely fashion but it hasn't happened, now Google are sorting the issue themselves (granted they'll want to keep OEM's happy but as mentioned there's only so much that is possible). And i don't think OEM's will have a huge amount of say in the matter tbh -they'll either have to go for it or opt for another OS/solution (be it WP or a fork of Android).
Rob_Quads

13th Sep 13 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
i don't think OEM's will have a huge amount of say in the matter tbh -they'll either have to go for it or opt for another OS/solution (be it WP or a fork of Android).

OEMs have a HUGE say in it. If the Manufacturers don't like the Skin API they will still be able to do exactly as they are at the moment and code their own skins directly into the root of the OS. Pretty sure they won't need a fork of android, I can't see android developing the Skin and changing every underlying native call to be something different and hidden. Its just not feasible so expect all the original native calls to remain but with the API grouping them together.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fork off
Tomnova16
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

spoke to vodafone today and they said they are taking orders for 5S next friday??

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
John

13th Sep 13 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's when it comes out.
Bart

13th Sep 13 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seems really bizzare way of doing this.
Clearly trying to push the 5c sales up in some way.

<<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >>

New Poll