corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC boots but keeps cutting out

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC boots but keeps cutting out
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Sep 10 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

removed heatsink and cpu, checked for damage, blasted it with air, reinstalled but with some thermal between the cpu and the heatsink, now idling at 43'c in the bios screen.
Dom

17th Sep 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
removed heatsink and cpu, checked for damage, blasted it with air, reinstalled but with some thermal between the cpu and the heatsink, now idling at 43'c in the bios screen.

That's more like it! Is it stable in Windows or is it still rebooting? If it seems stable it might be worth running Prime for a good few hours and keep an eye on temps with something like CoreTemp.
willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the next step, its now running at 46'c idle in the bios. Just letting it run to see how hot it can get on idle.

I'll have a look at Prime and CoreTemp, was going to google for some apps to test it but you've just saved me some time cheers dom.

Thanks to everyone whos helped so far, hopefully there wont be any more hiccups touch wood.
willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, sitting at 46'c running a video in vlc, I ran prime and tbh any of them tests (4 threads) will make the cpu heat up to 79+ and after that point i turned it off as I didnt want to fry it.

Abit pants really that when the CPUs go full hog it can't handle the heat, where do I go from here? Am I going to see better results going straight for the CPU cooler or can I go cheap and look into case airflow?

The case design puts the PSU at the bottom, and theres a fan on the roof of the case and a fan at the top at the back both flowing air out. Theres no fan pulling air in at the front, will this give me much of a result you think?
Dom

17th Sep 10 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The stock cooler is pretty pants so you're probably better off going down the replace stock cooler route.
The case layout sounds pretty much the same as my Antec 300 - PSU in the bottom, 120mm fan on the back, a 140mm fan on the top and no fans drawing air in the front. As i said, my thermalright 120 and Noctua NF-P12 fan keeps the CPU at 30-40c idle/40-50c load all day long with that case configuration.
willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a antec three hundred case

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by willay]
Dom

17th Sep 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
its a antec three hundred case

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by willay]

Good case, get's a bit tight though (ended up reverse fitting the hard drives by modding the drive bays with another set of holes) and dusty if you don't fit dust filters everywhere.
You could try fitting a 120mm fan to the opening that's on the side of the case as it's roughly above the cooler area and it should improve things a little. But changing the cooler would be the best option.
Richie

18th Sep 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd definately look at replacing the cooler now. Go for one that is it's own backplate, and make sure you apply the thermal paste correctly for quad core CPU's

Too much thermal paste will cause you a problem. You only need a thin line like that before putting the cooler on.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll