corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My patio project - 2 of 3 packs laid (ish)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My patio project - 2 of 3 packs laid (ish)
Ben G

User status: Offline
28th May 11 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you don't have a muscle spasm in your back though

whats with the pink wall btw?
Dan
Premium Member

29th May 11 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually do have a spasm in my back at the moment lol. My back is fucked from this.

Ive just been thinking, because my kit is made up of 3 smaller kits, its going to be 1.98m wide, then repeat twice.

So there will be a long line of pointing in two places, not a random line so to speak :/

Is there a way to work out what i can do with the slabs i have to lose this line :/

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Jake

29th May 11 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what size slabs do you have in the kit?
Dan
Premium Member

29th May 11 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the layout and sizes etc...

http://www.stamco.co.uk/shop/shopimages/pdfs/Brackendale%20Patio%20Pack%20Flyer.pdf

Dan
Premium Member

29th May 11 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 3 of them kits btw

Dan
Premium Member

1st Jun 11 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slowly getting there. Just spent another 4 hours on it.

The skip i had was full so got that exchanged this morning, giving me a nice new skip to fill up.

Spent the afternoon getting the ground down to the level it needs to be ready for the sand. Big thanks to Jake for his advice the past couple of days.

Tomorrow i have this little bit left to dig down and level out

Then the plan is to lay down 80mm of sharp sand, compact down to around 50mm. Think im going to need another tonne of sand to do this though, as i only have the 1 at the min.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey

Dan
Premium Member

2nd Jun 11 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All dug out, leveled roughly and compacted down as had to dig some big lumps of concrete out (Fucking builders)

Getting there now

Nismo

2nd Jun 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good!
Dan
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spent a good day out there today from about 11am till 4pm. Managed to use up all the tonne bag of sharp sand i had, thought that would have done half of it, instead it just did one of the three patio kit packs.

I can honestly say its the hardest diy job i have ever done. I think i bit of more than i could chew for my first patio build. Instead of perfectly square same thickness slabs, i have completely random thickness as well as off square slabs. Its an F-ing nightmare.

Its not quite looking square to the edge where the next pack will go from inside the house, but its exactly 200mm from the wall all the way along, and exactly 14inches from the fence all the way down the side.

Anyway heres some pics.

Came complete with a guard dog

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good, could you not have mixed it up slightly so don't have solid lines running through it all? Are you laying three identical patterns or going to mix and match?

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Dan
Premium Member

4th Jun 11 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would have been nice to do it mixxed up as to loose the lines, but thats how the kit comes, and no matter how hard i tried or looked around i couldnt get it to work any other way.

Tbh, you dont even notice the lines when you look as it.

I think when i lay the next one i will rotate it 180 degees or something so that its not the same

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still looks great Dan. Was just first photo with dog on made that full join stand out and likewise at top.

I'd 100% rotate 180degrees just to mix the pattern slightly.

Keep up good work, stone looks nice!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

5th Jun 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks really good imo, how much did the stone set you back?
Dan
Premium Member

6th Jun 11 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres the running cost so far:

Slabs and 1 tonne of sharp sand - £350
2 x Mini soil skips - £70
Additional 2 x 1 tonne bags of sand - £75
Cement/wood/other bits and bobs - £30
6 x Grade 1 Sleepers - £80

Total of £605

All i have left to buy is some building sand for pointing and a new slab as i broke one.

Then the missus wants some nice rattan furniture to put on it. She can get fooked at the min.

whitter45

6th Jun 11 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks really good
Similar to mine

Dan
Premium Member

6th Jun 11 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea similar.

Did you wet point them or brush in a dry mix?

harrisp

6th Jun 11 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive laid a few project packs and you can always mix the pattern up but there is a solid line now so would probably look odd if you merged the other two together now.
Dan
Premium Member

6th Jun 11 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the patio design that i posted earlier in the thread.

It seemed impossible as the pattern never repeats itself.

Dan
Premium Member

8th Jun 11 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to the builders yard yesterday and said I'd broke a slab, they just gave me a new one out of another pack so a right result there.

Then bought some jointing compound, which is like a resin. It's stronger than concrete and just brushes in. It's also coloured in buff so it will look pretty cool. Not cheap though at 40 a bucket.

Claire

8th Jun 11 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice!
DaveB

15th Jun 11 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That jointing compound is pants; only used as it's an easy finishing fix. After a year I bet you'll regret it - can't beat good old concrete and pointing
Dan
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well after a bit of a break, ive had a little bit of a crack at it yesterday and today before work, only had a few hours a day so cant do to much.

If the weather holds out (which i highly doubt) ill be able to finish the laying by friday. But i highly doubt i will.

Anyway, laid the second bed of sand, compacted and screeded off. Started laying the second pack, but due to screed rails not being quite wide enough, i cant lay the edge piece until i do the next bed of sand.

Daveb, there seems to be mixed reviews on the resin im using. Alot of people are saying its rubbish, others are saying its amazing stuff. I was very impressed with the sample i saw in the builder yard. Will see how it goes.

Dan
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, that line down the middle looks shit on these pics.

In the flesh you barely notice it unless your looking for it.

Gary
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Wow, that line down the middle looks shit on these pics.

In the flesh you barely notice it unless your looking for it.

Get em pulled up!

It'll always bug you if you dont.
Jake

21st Jun 11 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can swap the two round at each end

[Edited on 21-06-2011 by Jake]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll