corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Average spend on computers

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Average spend on computers
Andrew

User status: Offline
8th Nov 11 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I'm currently building a new server as i'm bored with the Dell T410 i have. So far i've bought a case and ran out of money

Dell T410 - £1200
Mac Mini - £550
Laptop - £700
iPad - £550

What do you mean you are bored with it and why have you bought a case for a server, you'd just go and buy another poweredge if you hadn't just made it up.

What extra features do you require for your bedroom exchange server that the T410 doesn't currently have?

What I was thinking but cba to type!

Problem with the PowerEdge is the amount of noise it generates, i don't want another, plus i will get more for my money. Idea around building something is i have full control over noise, what RAID card installed along with disk config and i'm stuggling on disk space at the moment. Another server over NAS will also allow use of ESXi when i decide to work on becoming certified.
N3CRO

8th Nov 11 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1,100 for just the tower and everything in it, incl monitor, keyboard etc, probably around £1,250-300. Custom built by me. 7 years ago. Want a new one but can't afford it

[Edited on 08-11-2011 by TheNobleOne]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this:
Dell xps17

210-37713 XPS 702x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up
to 3.10 GHz

230-12055 Display : 17.3in Full HD WLED AG (1920x1080) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
320-11589 LCD Back Cover : Silver Anodized Aluminum WLAN Cover
370-20115 Memory : 6GB (1X4GB + 1X2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
400-21857 Hard Drive : 1TB (2x500GB) Serial ATA (7200RPM) Dual HDD
429-15751 Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
451-11543 Battery : Primary 9-cell 90W/HR LI-ION
460-11379 Carry Case : Not Included
490-12666 Graphics : 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card
583-14529 Keyboard : Internal Backlit UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
quote:
I'm currently building a new server as i'm bored with the Dell T410 i have. So far i've bought a case and ran out of money

Dell T410 - £1200
Mac Mini - £550
Laptop - £700
iPad - £550

What do you mean you are bored with it and why have you bought a case for a server, you'd just go and buy another poweredge if you hadn't just made it up.

What extra features do you require for your bedroom exchange server that the T410 doesn't currently have?

Problem with the PowerEdge is the amount of noise it generates, i don't want another, plus i will get more for my money. Idea around building something is i have full control over noise, what RAID card installed along with disk config and i'm stuggling on disk space at the moment. Another server over NAS will also allow use of ESXi when i decide to work on becoming certified.

If you think your gonna get certified using a single server you are mistaken. you need at least 2 and a SAN to utilise it fully and there isnt a chance in hell you'll pass it if you have no real world experiance or a crash course! but you said i think in a post many years ago you were gonna do it....
Robbo

8th Nov 11 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is the guy who claims to be IT support and yet cant do the literal msot simplest of things remember...
Sam
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andrew - if it's noisy why can't you just replace the things that are noisy?

Isn't it a bit like saying "my exhaust has a hole in it so I'm going to buy a brand new car"?

I am assuming you are referring to hard drives and fans when you speak of noise?
John

8th Nov 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've got control over all of they bits with a poweredge.

You don't need a server for esx anyway, it'll run on most stuff and as vrsturbo says you don't find out how anything works until its out at a clients and something doesn't work.

This is all irrelevant though because none of it will be happening.
pow
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had for a while a Dual Core Atom box running 2008R2, handled most things quite nicely. Was silent.

Core edition, the way forward. Command line is the future. cmd and powershell.exer
John

8th Nov 11 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In response to the original question.

Most laptops I get for people are around the £400-500 quid mark, not many desktops but latest one was £1000 fro tower, monitor, printer etc.
Andrew

8th Nov 11 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
quote:

Dell T410 - £1200
Mac Mini - £550
Laptop - £700
iPad - £550

If you think your gonna get certified using a single server you are mistaken. you need at least 2 and a SAN to utilise it fully and there isnt a chance in hell you'll pass it if you have no real world experiance or a crash course! but you said i think in a post many years ago you were gonna do it....

You have to take one of the courses in which to become certified. I already have a T410 i can utilise as well. I'm nopt sat here stating i know all about VMware, i'm actully going to learn as i go along.
pow
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HYPER-VISOR
pow
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My next laptop may or may not be a Macbook air with Windows 7 on it, we'll see how long the Alienware lasts
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£0

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
_Allan_

8th Nov 11 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last 3 PC's I've built have all been around the £1200 mark. Usually try and sell off the old one after a couple of years for a few hundred quid. Get what I can before it's totally worthless then build a new one from whatever the cheapsest sites are. Even if it's spread out. I think the last one came mainly from Ebuyer and Overclockers with a hint of Amazon and Scan etc....
kz

8th Nov 11 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dell PC was £500 iirc, 2 years ago. I bought a Samsung monitor separately, as well as a Microsoft keyboard and mouse... total around £650 I guess.

I also bought a Samsung laptop earlier in the year for £275.

The missus spent £420 on her Dell laptop, and £200 on a second hand Mac.
luciaadr

9th Nov 11 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't have thought that there'd be any money in building machines once you've factored in the time cost of putting them together.

Also, I wouldnt compete with the big boys on price, thats their main strength and you're unlikely to be able to beat it. As a smaller retailer would it not be better to offer a no-nonsense warranty and frieundly accesible support that people are willing to pay more for. This is where the margins are. Just a thought anyway.

As for my machine, probably £350, all secondhand parts (except for HDDs)
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
quote:

Dell T410 - £1200
Mac Mini - £550
Laptop - £700
iPad - £550

You have to take one of the courses in which to become certified. I already have a T410 i can utilise as well. I'm nopt sat here stating i know all about VMware, i'm actully going to learn as i go along.

yes the course to become certified is a classroom course you cant just take an exam.. you can take smaller exams for $100 which arnt really worth it.

plus your best bet would be to have two machines of same spec.
James

9th Nov 11 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do folk do to warrant a mini server farm in their house?

John

9th Nov 11 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's more appealing to all the girls he brings home than a load of noisy servers.
Sam
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luciaadr
I wouldn't have thought that there'd be any money in building machines once you've factored in the time cost of putting them together.

Also, I wouldnt compete with the big boys on price, thats their main strength and you're unlikely to be able to beat it. As a smaller retailer would it not be better to offer a no-nonsense warranty and frieundly accesible support that people are willing to pay more for. This is where the margins are. Just a thought anyway.

As for my machine, probably £350, all secondhand parts (except for HDDs)

I'd still make a profit TBH, but yeah the main part of my business is service (maintenance etc.) and hence what pays for the food on the table. Selling computers and accessories will just be an extra service.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 15:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What's more appealing to all the girls he brings home than a load of noisy servers.

fuck off john, nothing wrong with having a bunch of desktop pcs (or even server grade!) sitting under your desk burrrrrring away keeping you up at night. Go slow cook something you dork.
willay
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anywhere between £1000 and £1500 on my last build. That includes monitors, the biggest shame is I run Ubuntu on it so I haven't even given it a shot at some fancy game.
John

9th Nov 11 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

fuck off john, nothing wrong with having a bunch of desktop pcs (or even server grade!) sitting under your desk burrrrrring away keeping you up at night. Go slow cook something you dork.

I've got loads, they don't keep me up at night though and I know half of what I'm talking about.

One of them is specifically for running ubuntu and stealing the neighbours wifi.

[Edited on 09-11-2011 by John]
Robbo

9th Nov 11 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
drowns out the sound of them having a shit i suppose
willay
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

I've got loads, they don't keep me up at night though and I know half of what I'm talking about.

One of them is specifically for running ubuntu and stealing the neighbours wifi.

[Edited on 09-11-2011 by John]

Everyone has to start somewhere John, don't be part of the problem. Why do you need Ubuntu to steal your neighbours wifi?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll