corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT related rant

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT related rant
John

User status: Offline
25th Aug 13 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come into the job with their big ideas of how they'll change everything to make it 'better' and leave their mark, not bothering to worry about any of the practicalities.
Russ

25th Aug 13 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have one who knows very little about it, so when they were employed they brought a colleague with them, so they go together to every meeting so he can answer the it questions
John

25th Aug 13 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's another common one I see all the time. Hire one guy who doesn't have a clue about anything, especially IT, who then employs someone else who knows more (but normally not much more) to cover how bad they are.

I don't know what's said in the interviews to get them into that position in the first place.
Jambo

25th Aug 13 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Come into the job with their big ideas of how they'll change everything to make it 'better' and leave their mark, not bothering to worry about any of the practicalities.

Tbh that is applicable to most jobs/companies.

I know sweet FA about computers, but I know the basics. This in a company of 50+ people who can barely turn a plug on means I'm a tech god. Ask me all kinds of stuff I wouldn't have a clue about. Assume I know because I can read a screen and follow simple instructions
Gavin
Premium Member

26th Aug 13 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a PM, however I came through the techie route and switched over to the dark side

I hate it that my mates haven't give me a chance to explain what I actually do, they just think I fix laptops and printers

I don't mind lending a hand when needed, but it does pee me off. Then again, I guess its the same with me asking someone who's pretty handy around cars to help out when I need to

pew pew pew pewwwww
Hammer

27th Aug 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
I do fix computers and I'm asked constantly, anywhere I go.

I don't charge mates/mates wouldn't charge me for doing anything they could do for me though.

If I do anything for mates I usually charge them as it stops them taking the piss. I mean I wont charge them anything like what it should cost, but a trivial amount keeps it sensible. EG I fitted some coilovers to my mates golf for 30 quid

1. You don't have mates 2. If you did, this is the reason why you wouldn't have them for very long.
3CorsaMeal

27th Aug 13 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stopped trying and now just wave my arms about in the air if my computer breaks, its much better being an idiot.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Aug 13 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:
quote:

I don't charge mates/mates wouldn't charge me for doing anything they could do for me though.

If I do anything for mates I usually charge them as it stops them taking the piss. I mean I wont charge them anything like what it should cost, but a trivial amount keeps it sensible. EG I fitted some coilovers to my mates golf for 30 quid

1. You don't have mates 2. If you did, this is the reason why you wouldn't have them for very long.

id another one this weekend, another 30 quidder (although he gave me 40)
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I prefer a non technical manager. I've had a couple of bosses now which were very technical and it was a waste of talent to have them doing managerial stuff.

Non techy bosses are better, especially if they're capable in the project manager or business analyst skillsets so that they can manage my workload efficiently without knowing or caring about the oily bits.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Gary
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 15:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:
quote:

This.

But also, when you still live at home, its not like he'll need any favours off his plumber mate when something leaks etc.

Just wait till he's 40 and has his own house and wants a favour from someone
Steve
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my own house for 5 years m8. I wouldn't expect stuff done for free either. Id expect exactly what I do, charge a trivial amount to keep it under control. Wether that be just buying the materials or what.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You lot must have some pretty good mates if they will come round and paint your house for free, or rewire your electrics for nothing.
John

28th Aug 13 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not the same is it.

If I was asked to spec and fit out an office there would be some payment involved.
pow
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What John said, but when a mate (who would do something for me in return) asks me to remove some spyware/do something fairly minor (mate of mine asked me to run a cable for his XBOX the other day, did it by going through the loft and using the conduit in the walls for the electrical sockets ) I'm not gunna start charging them trivial amounts.
pow
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:

I prefer a non technical manager. I've had a couple of bosses now which were very technical and it was a waste of talent to have them doing managerial stuff.

Non techy bosses are better, especially if they're capable in the project manager or business analyst skillsets so that they can manage my workload efficiently without knowing or caring about the oily bits.

I don't want to get into a fight but what about the technical people that want to move up the ranks and not sit in a windowless office all day for the rest of their life?
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:

I don't want to get into a fight but what about the technical people that want to move up the ranks and not sit in a windowless office all day for the rest of their life?

There are companies/environments which allow for progression in terms of salary and authority (assuming that's what you mean) without ducking out into management. It seems to be primarily datacentre environments or large IT outsourcing firms with technical architects earning more than middle management and they remain the technical authority without having to go through the management route of signing holiday forms and babysitting internal personality clashes

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

* But I agree in most S/M businesses the IT progression is First Line, Second Line, Third Line, Manager in most cases, so you're a bit stuck if you intend on staying there - which is why I referred to working with "wasted talent" before.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
What John said, but when a mate (who would do something for me in return) asks me to remove some spyware/do something fairly minor (mate of mine asked me to run a cable for his XBOX the other day, did it by going through the loft and using the conduit in the walls for the electrical sockets ) I'm not gunna start charging them trivial amounts.

where did I say the guy was a mate? hes not a mate, he just lives down the road, it was about him not willing to offer his advise from his profession for nothing but expecting us too.

Mates came into it when I said I charge mate menial amounts for bigger "favours"

Fitting some lowering springs to someones car is best part of a day at the weekend, its not exactly a small job and I think 30 quid just as a token gesture is perfectly reasonable for that work even for a mate

[Edited on 28-08-2013 by Steve]
Dom

28th Aug 13 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
But also, when you still live at home....

You sound very bitter about Steve living at home; i'm still none the wiser to why that is an issue, Gary?
3CorsaMeal

29th Aug 13 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a whole planning application for a mate, Probably about £2k of work.
Steve
Premium Member

29th Aug 13 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once I waited for a mate
mwg

29th Aug 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much all I do is draw with AutoCAD at work but some people seem to think I have a clue about IT generally and be able to help them out with computer related problems.

I drive a car but people don't ask me to take a look at their car for them.
Gary
Premium Member

29th Aug 13 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

You sound very bitter about Steve living at home; i'm still none the wiser to why that is an issue, Gary?

I just find it a bit sad really.
Dom

29th Aug 13 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

I just find it a bit sad really.

Why? There's million and one reasons why people live at home, most of them because it isn't financially viable for the time being.
Just sounds like you have a huge chip on your shoulder.....and that sounds "a bit sad really"
Gary
Premium Member

29th Aug 13 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not at all. We're all entitled to our own opinions though.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll