corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Galaxy S3 people

New Poll
  <<  19    20    21    22    23    24    25  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Galaxy S3 people
A2H GO

User status: Offline
7th Nov 12 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My iPads still as fast as day one with about 10 pages of apps and all 32gb's full of songs and movies, so was my iPhone 4 after two years and jail broken.

These s3 LTEs seem to be going for the same price on eBay as they are new, some for up to £40 more

[Edited on 07-11-2012 by A2H GO]
Dom

7th Nov 12 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
At least you can have a proper view on it now and not just what you've read on the internet.

Not sure i would say it's a 'proper view', granted it's better than spouting crap after reading a biased website, but the S3 is heavily masked with Touchwiz and that does change the experience some what - some better, some worse.
You'd be better off comparing stock for stock.

Ash - stock messaging app has emoticons on as default. As you don't want to go to stock you're only option is to use 3rd-party apps.

[Edited on 07-11-2012 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

7th Nov 12 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom, are you saying Ash doesn't have a proper view of the S3 as he hasn't replaced the OS it came with?

Dom

7th Nov 12 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Dom, are you saying Ash doesn't have a proper view of the S3 as he hasn't replaced the OS it came with?

S3 isn't stock Android and Touchwiz (/HTC Sense etc) does change the experience; that is what i'm saying.

Balling
Premium Member

7th Nov 12 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure if that answers my question...

Surely judging a phone by how it comes from the factory makes perfect sense?

Saying that the phone can be modded to enhance the experience is hardly a selling point.

A2H GO

7th Nov 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by John
At least you can have a proper view on it now and not just what you've read on the internet.

As you don't want to go to stock you're only option is to use 3rd-party apps.

I couldn't go stock if I wanted, that option isn't even available to me.

All the emoticon apps are full keyboards and messaging replacements, and only work in some instances, ie. SMS but not anywhere else.

This is what I mean about not being able to perform any single task perfectly but if I wanted to mess about I could get it working 60%.

A2H GO

7th Nov 12 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

S3 isn't stock Android and Touchwiz (/HTC Sense etc) does change the experience; that is what i'm saying.

Given only 1% of Android phones come with vanilla Android and this phone happens to be the best selling of the other 99%, I'd say I have a better opinion of the OS.

3CorsaMeal

7th Nov 12 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got NFS car game on my S3, costs nearly a fiver but its quite amazing.

Or something cheap and fun is hill climb racing
Dom

7th Nov 12 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not sure if that answers my question...

Surely judging a phone by how it comes from the factory makes perfect sense?

Saying that the phone can be modded to enhance the experience is hardly a selling point.

I'm not sure what you're finding difficult to comprehend, what i've said is a bit of an obvious statement - Touchwiz (or Sense) != stock Android as many of the fundamental apps are different hence the experience differs (whether this is good or bad is debatable).

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I couldn't go stock if I wanted, that option isn't even available to me.

Vanilla ROMs are available, so yes you could go stock. But as you've mentioned, you don't want to lose your Sky app (although again there are work-arounds for that).

A2H GO

7th Nov 12 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please find me said vanilla rom for i9305 S3

Also, having to change the operating system on the best selling android phone out there
A2H GO

7th Nov 12 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Just got NFS car game on my S3, costs nearly a fiver but its quite amazing.

Does look good that, couldn't bring myself to pay a fiver for it though.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Nov 12 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I'm not sure what you're finding difficult to comprehend
That you honestly think a phone is not judged properly until it has been modded in to something it wasn't intended to.

I would say judging it based on the software and capabilities it comes with out of the box is the ONLY real way to properly judge it.

If anything, I'd say that stating that the S3 can not be judged properly until you've messed around with installing software not intended for it, is only stating that it's a subpar phone.

Dom

7th Nov 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Also, having to change the operating system.......

But you're not changing the OS
A2H GO

7th Nov 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Also, having to change the operating system.......

But you're not changing the OS

I get what you're saying but seriously, I don't think installing vanilla Android is suddenly going to transform the phone. There are parts of touchwiz I like, so for some of the better experience I'll gain, I'll also loose some stuff so kind of defeats the object, not to mention I really can't be arsed with the hassle.
Dom

7th Nov 12 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I'm not sure what you're finding difficult to comprehend
That you honestly think a phone is not judged properly until it has been modded in to something it wasn't intended to.

Re-read what i original wrote as i didn't mentioned the phone (or Ash for that matter)
I merely made an obvious statement that there is a difference in experience between using stock Android and Touchwiz as the main applications differ. Because of this, you can't 100% compare the two.

It'll be like comparing a stock iPhone with a jailbroken iPhone loaded with different messaging, phone, camera, music player (etc) apps - the experience is going to be different.

Balling
Premium Member

7th Nov 12 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completely agree with all of the above.

What I came down on was this comment:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Not sure i would say it's a 'proper view'
That's very much saying that you can't have a proper view of an iPhone until you perform a jailbreak.

John

7th Nov 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand what both Dom and Ash are saying but I don't agree with the jailbreak thing.

Samsung put a bit of bloat on top of android. Although this is the way the phone comes, so fair enough basing opinions on that and you can't expect most people to change it, it's not close to jailbreakng an iPhone.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Nov 12 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair, my understanding of the process involved might be flawed.

Reading this:
http://decidingedge.com/gadget/installing-vanilla-rootbox-rom-on-galaxy-s3-gt-i9300/

It seems very much like the proces involved when jailbreaking an iDevice.
I understand that the differences between a Vanilla S3 and a factory S3 are not comparable to a jailbroken iDevice vs a factory iDevice.

Still, I'd say that if you can't judge the S3 properly until you've done the above and decided which OS you want to run, then that's pretty terrible.

3CorsaMeal

7th Nov 12 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use my S3 like a normal clueless person, straight out the box.

I have no idea what you guys are on about.

I find the S3 better than an iphone and i've played with both as the average type of user.
3CorsaMeal

7th Nov 12 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was comparing the other day and the guy with the iphone started going on about facetime or something like that, deffo face something.

I kept asking is it just a video call? and was like "no its facetime", i asked again "so its like skype" again, "nah, but its facetime"

Can't seem to get a straight answer from an iphone user, its like they cover up the fact the technology they have is already about and no one uses it by only referring to it as the name "syri" "facetime" etc

Just say it does video calls or voice recognition imo
A2H GO

7th Nov 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From the guides that I've read, to install vanilla android is much more involved than jailbreaking.

Regardless, as mentioned there's no vanilla rom for the 9305 anyway and probably never will be as all the decent devs will be targeting the Nexus 4 going forward.

A1EX

7th Nov 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im considering an S3 or an iphone 5 and im coming from a iphone 3g thats barely working anymore, the only part of it that does still work well is phone calls the rest has given up, im really not sure what to go with, i have an ipad 3 and use that quite often and ive used my gfs iphone 4s but not got my hands on an s3 properly yet....
Dom

7th Nov 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Still, I'd say that if you can't judge the S3 properly until you've done the above and decided which OS you want to run, then that's pretty terrible.

But i never mentioned the S3
Perhaps i worded it wrongly but i'm point out that there will be a difference in experience when using stock and modified interfaces/apps such as Touchwiz/Sense etc.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Nov 12 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
But i never mentioned the S3
Perhaps i worded it wrongly but i'm point out that there will be a difference in experience when using stock and modified interfaces/apps such as Touchwiz/Sense etc.
I might have completely misunderstood you then.

Did you mean that you can't judge Android purely based on the S3? Because in that case, I completely agree.

John

7th Nov 12 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
To be fair, my understanding of the process involved might be flawed.

Reading this:
http://decidingedge.com/gadget/installing-vanilla-rootbox-rom-on-galaxy-s3-gt-i9300/

It seems very much like the proces involved when jailbreaking an iDevice.
I understand that the differences between a Vanilla S3 and a factory S3 are not comparable to a jailbroken iDevice vs a factory iDevice.

I'm not talking about the process, it's just about exactly the same.

I am talking about the stock android vs jailbreaking an iPhone comparison, they aren't the same.

<<  19    20    21    22    23    24    25  >>

New Poll