corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple iPhone 5s/5c

New Poll
  <<  23    24    25    26    27    28    29  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple iPhone 5s/5c
John

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 13 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's integrated into their purchasing system. Outside of disagreeing with me, you know that Apple thought it was the best fingerprint reading system ever (not exaggerating). If it turns out that it's easy to fool, it'll turn back into the gimmick that everyone expected it to be.
A2H GO

23rd Sep 13 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still don't think requiring a 2400 DPI photograph of someone's fingerprint to then laser print it at 1200 DPI on a latex sheet is less secure than watching someone type in their 4 digit pin.
John

23rd Sep 13 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2400dpi is pretty standard, just checked the random dell printer I have sitting beside me can scan and print at that.
A2H GO

23rd Sep 13 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not the printing that's an issue, it's the MI5 lifting of fingerprints bit (and it being a perfect image).

The guys in the link have obviously been trying all week and managed to get it to work once.
John

23rd Sep 13 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's enough for it not to be secure.

You won't care about that, Balling won't, I won't. It doesn't change the fact that it means it can't be used for anything that actually does have a requirement to be secure. Which would make it a bit of a failure.
taylorboosh

23rd Sep 13 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a fucking gimmick you retards
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Sep 13 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's integrated into their purchasing system. Outside of disagreeing with me, you know that Apple thought it was the best fingerprint reading system ever (not exaggerating). If it turns out that it's easy to fool, it'll turn back into the gimmick that everyone expected it to be.
Purchasing of what, though? Apps and music tied to a specific iTunes account.

I've not seen Apple claim it to be the best system ever, but I don't find it unlikely that they'll have implied in some strong way.

That said, you have to remember who they are marketing this to. For Apple's core demographic this might very well be the best fingerprint system ever available in a consumer device.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying there's no truth in your points, I just can't help but find them blown somewhat out of proportion.

taylorboosh

23rd Sep 13 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fact is 90% of people will want the scanner as its cool... Infact that the only reason i want one at all over a 5 or 5c
Dom

23rd Sep 13 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
It's not the printing that's an issue, it's the MI5 lifting of fingerprints bit (and it being a perfect image).

The guys in the link have obviously been trying all week and managed to get it to work once.

Why are you getting your panties in a twist?

Firstly, how do you know CCC have been trying for weeks and have only managed to fool the sensor once? For all you know, it could be a fool proof method once the latex (well, wood glue from the CCC article) fingerprint is made.

Secondly, the current rumour (CCC hasn't commented on this bit; could be BS but again, who knows) is that they lifted the print off a bottle and used a regular scanner. It could be as simple as that or it could require a lot more effort.

Either way, it's currently a good proof of concept and no doubt more information on the concept will get released, especially when there is a bounty for finding a fool-proof method - istouchidhackedyet.com.

CCC article - http://ccc.de/de/updates/2013/ccc-breaks-apple-touchid
Rob_Quads

23rd Sep 13 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup the 5C and 5S are a fail - a mere 9 million sold in the first weekend, almost double the amount of 5 sold at launch weekend
Cavey

23rd Sep 13 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Yup the 5C and 5S are a fail - a mere 9 million sold in the first weekend, almost double the amount of 5 sold at launch weekend

Who on here said it was a fail? Fact is, Apple could release anything they wanted and it'd sell in it's millions.

The nerds on here are arguing over nerd stuff (and in general still buying it anyway), the general public will just do what they're told to do and go out spunk their cash on it
mwg

23rd Sep 13 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to keep my 4S for a while yet. It seems a lot faster and nicer to use now it's got iOS7 on it. When it starts getting slow I'll think about upgrading.
A2H GO

23rd Sep 13 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Why are you getting your panties in a twist?

I'm not I'm being a realist and not believing everything I read on the internet.

I'm not saying it's the most secure system in the world, it's clearly not. It is however (IMO) more secure that what it's replaced in 50% of cases (nothing) and 99% of other cases (a 4 digit pin, since it uses the sensor in tandem anyway).

[Edited on 23-09-2013 by A2H GO]
John

23rd Sep 13 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not more secure than a 4 digit pin if you can reliably take a fingerprint from a bottle and get in first time.

Although that might sound far fetched, it's not really if it was a specific phone you wanted to steal. Joe blogs who only has some pictures on the phone, this obviously doesn't matter.
pow
Premium Member

23rd Sep 13 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lauren got a 5C 16GB in White on o2 for £23.40 a month #justsayin
DaveyLC

23rd Sep 13 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't mess with CSI John! He'll cut your retinas out and access your monies!
Rob_Quads

23rd Sep 13 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Lauren got a 5C 16GB in White on o2 for £23.40 a month #justsayin

12 or 24 month? Was that discounted?
pow
Premium Member

23rd Sep 13 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

24 month, yeah, some student discount bollocks
Dom

23rd Sep 13 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not I'm being a realist and not believing everything I read on the internet.

quote:
....it's the MI5 lifting of fingerprints bit (and it being a perfect image).

How can you be a realist when you state that you need to be someone from a secret agency to lift prints? That is complete balls Ash

However, i'm too not 100% convinced by the PoC and it certainly needs further explanation from CCC and to be verified by a third-party. But let's be honest, it doesn't look good as a security device.
Rob_Quads

23rd Sep 13 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't look good to one degree but its still arguably more secure that most other simple methods out there
taylorboosh

23rd Sep 13 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add, my phone is pinned and in certain lights you can see which way i move my fingers accross the screen
Nath

23rd Sep 13 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Just to add, my phone is pinned and in certain lights you can see which way i move my fingers accross the screen

Same with the slider thingy on android. Can blatantly see what my pattern is
mwg

23rd Sep 13 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but apple
Bart

23rd Sep 13 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPhone 5s arrived today and very impressed.

cant get over how much lighter it is in comparison to the 4S.
Ive held a iphone5 before, but never spent anytime with it.

TouchID works flawlessly, just need to try and get out of the habit of swiping as soon as I press the button.
Doug

24th Sep 13 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still have ages to wait before mine comes from Apple :-(

<<  23    24    25    26    27    28    29  >>

New Poll