corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Those currently saving for a house

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Those currently saving for a house
Fad

User status: Offline
4th Apr 10 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well Ollie put it this way you have say 14K minimum in your car right?

So think about it that way you are not probably worse off if you have a car plus 10k?

jr

4th Apr 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 4k saved and thats only though buying and selling cars have i made the odd £200 here, £300 there that ive managed to do that

my holidays are limited to germany a couple of times, but maybe 1k a year on those

its just seems truely mental on a average wage
Paul_J

4th Apr 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think we can all agree that we'd be saving a lot more / have a lot more money in our life if our passion wasn't cars

... if i lived in a world where i didn't drive or have a car - e.g. cycled to work I'd be so rich

I can work out most of my big expenses over the last few years have been car related - easily add up to over £10k +
Fad

4th Apr 10 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly I've spent 2k alone on servicing a bloody shopping car driven by girls

We have an unhealthy interest and spending £££ is a consequence of this.

Graham88

5th Apr 10 at 02:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I definetly agree with that, it crosses my mind many a time how much I'd save. But then I'd only find something else to spend it on I'd imagine
AndyKent

5th Apr 10 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by jr
Fuck knows how anyone manages it just through wages ? im dont hav alot of outgoings but doubt ive even spent 38k over the last 5 years apart from my normal petrol/phone bills etc, let alone saved it

That is exactly what I was thinking, THE FUCK?

How in the name of god? It took me and Rach a year to save 10k and we aren't on bad money.

You lot must be serious hermits, ok having will power to save money is a must but even so 38k 23k 20k etc etc over what period of time are we talking about? Since birth?

Its got nothing much to do with lifestyle, just time. You've just said that it's taken two of you 12 months to save 10k - that's 800 a month or 400 each. I've been saving about that for 4 years give or take (although increased that recently) - still gives me a decent wedge to spend each month. I just look at it in exactly the same way as Colin - when you buy a house you won't have a lot of money to spend so why throw it all away now. Doesn't mean "living like a hermit" at all, you just stop wasting money on random bits and pieces.
It's little stuff like buying lunch in town or regularly picking up magazines that saves you a fortune, not missing a night out.
stuartmitchell

5th Apr 10 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by jr
Fuck knows how anyone manages it just through wages ? im dont hav alot of outgoings but doubt ive even spent 38k over the last 5 years apart from my normal petrol/phone bills etc, let alone saved it

That is exactly what I was thinking, THE FUCK?

How in the name of god? It took me and Rach a year to save 10k and we aren't on bad money.

You lot must be serious hermits, ok having will power to save money is a must but even so 38k 23k 20k etc etc over what period of time are we talking about? Since birth?

Its got nothing much to do with lifestyle, just time. You've just said that it's taken two of you 12 months to save 10k - that's 800 a month or 400 each. I've been saving about that for 4 years give or take (although increased that recently) - still gives me a decent wedge to spend each month. I just look at it in exactly the same way as Colin - when you buy a house you won't have a lot of money to spend so why throw it all away now. Doesn't mean "living like a hermit" at all, you just stop wasting money on random bits and pieces.
It's little stuff like buying lunch in town or regularly picking up magazines that saves you a fortune, not missing a night out.

agreed bud, like Willay said it's not what you earn it's what you spend that makes the difference. I've been saving for 4 years now since I left Uni, my 2nd jobs pays cash in hand so never really have to use my actual wages unless it's something big like a holiday etc
mwg

6th Apr 10 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have to live the life of a cabbage to be able to save the kind of money being talked about in here.
whitter45

6th Apr 10 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dhanson08
2.5k was from my mum at 17 since then i learnt the value of money and just saved it all.i dont drink or smoke.just a pretty borin 19 year old who banks his money.lol.

get out and live life - you will regret it when your older

[Edited on 06-04-2010 by whitter45]
Graham88

6th Apr 10 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, you can save and still get out and enjoy yourself
Ben G

6th Apr 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I certainly dont live like a hermit and saved plenty.
jr

6th Apr 10 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I would have to live the life of a cabbage to be able to save the kind of money being talked about in here.

me too
Graham88

6th Apr 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I certainly dont live like a hermit and saved plenty.

Don't lie I haven't seen u for ages
Kano

6th Apr 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm paid weekly so I stick a £100 into my savings every Friday then the following Thursday whatever I have left goes in aswell.

Works well for me, never short of money and buy what we want for the house when we want it.
Limecat
Banned

6th Apr 10 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think a lot of savings come down to peoples style of pay, it is very easy to get a pay packet and piss it up the wall but I get a fairly decent bonus each month, normally over £1k, best being £1350 which is paid onto a debit card and my company pay the tax on it. I can live off that easily enough so I don't touch my wages. On top of that I get performance related pay each quarter, again no need to touch that and they chuck vouchers at me every month too for nothing.

Then I have my sharesave (got £15k in that but the current market value is about £22k) and other shares I have bought.
Half Pint

7th Apr 10 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think there is a point where your wage makes it simpler to live and save... as alot of you say yu survive on what you earn which leaves little to be able to save.

when i was seriously saving to move out i was putting £1500 away a month and still saving another £300-£400 on top of that.

however i did the living bit had loads of debt (which i paid off) then set about saving. part of me wishes i hadn't of wasted so much but the other part knows it was worth while.

16vKarlos

7th Apr 10 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres one to make you all feel better

We are saving for a house and we have
£-200 due to a load of things we have had to pay out for this year already

- a new rear fence was the biggest killer
Pop

7th Apr 10 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was saving I didn't live like a hermit. I went out with mates, did stuff to the car etc. The main thing was that I didn't blow my money on crap really.

Once you get going you get into the swing of it and before long it starts to mount up.

I think the property you buy plays a big part in it to. We bought a property at the maximum that we could afford in terms of monthly payments for mortgage etc. We also have done lots of work all in one go which has cost a fair bit. Saving isn't really an option for us now until we both start earning more.
Paul_J

7th Apr 10 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I literally can't wait to move back home to my parents... I'll be reducing my costs almost by £1000 a month... - I plan on banking a majority of that when I move back with them... in a year or two i should be well on the way to a porsche gt3 rs... erm, I mean a house.

I could live in the porsche tho?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Apr 10 at 08:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, and you can't drive a house either
Tommy L

8th Apr 10 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started saving end of last year. It hasn't gone so well.
mwg

8th Apr 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could afford to move out if I was moving in with a girlfriend.

It never gets far enough down the line for that to happen before we split up though so I'm stuck living at home...
Fro

8th Apr 10 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont have big bank balance but have some money tied up in the house as was added to mums mortgage due to divorce. and i have money tied up in the datsun.
whitter45

8th Apr 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
yep, and you can't drive a house either

Nope but a car is never an investment where as house is lone terms
whitter45

8th Apr 10 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing you have to remember is that some peiople i know have bought houses and are right on the capacity they earn i.e wha they get each month is spent on mortgage bills etc with little money to live their life - therefore if the boielr goes or work needs to be done they are screwed as has happened recently

IMO if you buy a house you need a little money each to put aside or have access to shoudl things go wrong - which they will do at some point lol

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll