corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Comps Fitting Problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Comps Fitting Problem
Dom

User status: Offline
6th Dec 04 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all,
ive been re-wiring my front door comps, because the window caused one of the pins on the passenger door woofer to snap off , but ive noticed that the car door pocket grill (the vertical support plastic bits, on the back of the grill) is pressing into the woofers rubber surround, which causing it to start splitting the rubber (it hasnt fully, hence why i, trying to sort it out now etc).

Ive thought about shaving the vertical support plastic bit (its only the one support, nearest to the door hinge on both sides that causes this)...but i dont think it will be enough, to create clearence
Ive also thought about cutting the grill out and use the comps grills - but i want it to look as original as pos (so i dont get the stuff nicked).
Ive also been looking at door pockets, but there like 180 quid a pair
And yea, i could build some, but 1) ive never used fibreglass, 2) it WILL look shit when ive finished and 3) im impatiant and i NEED music

So, has anyone got any ideas on how to solve this??

tar all,
Dom

[Edited on 06-12-2004 by Dom]
Richie

6th Dec 04 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make some thick foam spacers around the adaptor ring to push the grill out a bit. You can still screw it back in but it will bow out slightly, its how i got around it
AdiSRI

6th Dec 04 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
hi all,
ive been re-wiring my front door comps, because the window caused one of the pins on the passenger door woofer to snap off , but ive noticed that the car door pocket grill (the vertical support plastic bits, on the back of the grill) is pressing into the woofers rubber surround, which causing it to start splitting the rubber (it hasnt fully, hence why i, trying to sort it out now etc).

Ive thought about shaving the vertical support plastic bit (its only the one support, nearest to the door hinge on both sides that causes this)...but i dont think it will be enough, to create clearence

It wont the standard covers dont work if u have a speaker with any kind of excursion and an adaptor...

Ive also thought about cutting the grill out and use the comps grills - but i want it to look as original as pos (so i dont get the stuff nicked).

Make a small fibreglass build as part of pocket, and get it painted anthra will look virtually OE that way.

Ive also been looking at door pockets, but there like 180 quid a pair
And yea, i could build some, but

1) ive never used fibreglass,

1) Fibreglass is easy, buy a pack and have a go...

2) it WILL look shit when ive finished

It wont if u spend the time to smooth it properly

3) im impatiant and i NEED music

Get cracking then!

So, has anyone got any ideas on how to solve this??

tar all,
Dom

[Edited on 06-12-2004 by Dom]

If u need any help with fibreglass just ask, me and painz have both done a fair bit.
Dom

6th Dec 04 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys
ill try richie's idea first, as its probably the easiest but yea, i might buy some more door pockets and have a go fibre glassing them
AdiSRI

6th Dec 04 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats exactly wat i did, it didnt go all that well with the first go....

i can give you one bit of advice tho.

Its all in the design, spend the necessary time....
Dom

7th Dec 04 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
thats exactly wat i did, it didnt go all that well with the first go....

i can give you one bit of advice tho.

Its all in the design, spend the necessary time....

thats the problem though, as i currently have no music in the car and the 1.2 engine is doing my nut in

personally i would rather buy some, but the only ones i have seen are 180 quid for a pair, which is personally abit steep

but yea, i might buy some spare door pockets and have a go The original grill only needs to go out a few cm, so i might chop around the grill and then fill the gap with fibreglass..so it will hopefully look original, apart from that it sticks out further etc
AdiSRI

7th Dec 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly, worth it imo get a good job rather than a bodge.....
Dom

7th Dec 04 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i had the idea to take that support out, so all day ive been sanding the vertical support down, then using we/dry paper (different grades) to get it all smooth etc
The rubber surround of the woofer will rest on the grill, but there is nothing now to dig or anything
Although it will probably make the pocket vibrate to shit so i might still wack some foam like richie said to push the grill out slightly

Although the fibreglass idea isnt totally out of the window
AdiSRI

7th Dec 04 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like u got it solved, i didnt want ANYTHING touching my speaker surrounds!!

New Poll