corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Handling still

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Handling still
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
31st Mar 05 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not actually tried anything yet tho

but was out lastnight and was getting really bad understeer, was skidding round 90 degree bends doing only 30mph

steering shakes a lot, very clunky when turning wheel, and wheels seem like they wander in different directions.

how hard is it to change steering rack to one of those quick racks?
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Mar 05 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick racks are expensive.

Changing your rack for a replacement one isn't difficult though aside from the track rod ends being a bit awkward. You might need to get upsidedown in the driver footwell as well to undo the rack from the column. After that its only 4 bolts on the bulkhead.
N90ATH

31st Mar 05 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have u had the balancing and tracing checked and also have u had the koni's checked properly u never know or is it def ur rack
Siberia

31st Mar 05 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick racks are 100 quid or so....

jimbob i'd say your problem is due to fooked wheel bareings/trackrod ends/balljoints/alignment
3CorsaMeal

1st Apr 05 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Quick racks are expensive.

Changing your rack for a replacement one isn't difficult though aside from the track rod ends being a bit awkward. You might need to get upsidedown in the driver footwell as well to undo the rack from the column. After that its only 4 bolts on the bulkhead.

i'm sure i seen quickracks for about £150-£200

so not does much else have to be removed to fit rack? will it need some sort of setting up, tracking etc?
3CorsaMeal

1st Apr 05 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is deffo a clunk coming from steering, sounds like its mid-dash rather than near wheels, i have an mpeg of my turning steering wheel and the noise, dunno how to host online tho
Siberia

1st Apr 05 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a rack will be a pain in the arse to do without a ramp.... then again i dont like getting under cars when they are on axel stands
TOMAS

1st Apr 05 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd deffo ensure its the rack before you go changing anything. It sounds like something is majorly worn! If wheels wanter in DIFFO directions it sounds like tracking is miles out OR you have severly worn tie bar bushes/ topmounts etc.

I have the EPS electric coloumn on mine with the std 2.4 ratio rack (as good as quickrack) and have gave it a right thrashing for 65K miles from new and its still going strong. Thats with running an emmensly hard suspension setup too!
3CorsaMeal

1st Apr 05 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tracking is alright, have had it done

it just feels loose and floppy
Siberia

1st Apr 05 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheel barings...
TOMAS

1st Apr 05 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bearings would have to be very very worn to cause serious handling issues. Best thing is jack the car up and give everything a good wobble/shake. Have an asst hold the steering wheel firmly whilst you try to moves the wheels in the steering direction and look for play. Look for how much slop there is in the topmounts when you move the wheel. Just get under the car with a torch and logically look for play in components. A worn rach would mean that the wheels have play in the steering direction when the wheel is held tight...
3CorsaMeal

1st Apr 05 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers, will have a proper look over weekend, really need this sorting now, got beat last night because of my handling by

astra diesel estate
transit van
and a K-plate fiesta, shite one
Siberia

1st Apr 05 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
The bearings would have to be very very worn to cause serious handling issues. Best thing is jack the car up and give everything a good wobble/shake. Have an asst hold the steering wheel firmly whilst you try to moves the wheels in the steering direction and look for play. Look for how much slop there is in the topmounts when you move the wheel. Just get under the car with a torch and logically look for play in components. A worn rach would mean that the wheels have play in the steering direction when the wheel is held tight...

dont agree i drove around for 2 months with SERIOUS handling problems.... the steering wheel didnt feel like it was joint to the front wheel and bad understeering on left hand bends....

when i jacked it up there was a ver slight shake when i shook one of the front wheels...... after changing ball joints/topmounts/trackrod ends it was still there...

last resort i changed the barings and it fix the problem....

New Poll