corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Exhaust manifold and Decat

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Exhaust manifold and Decat
Corsa1600

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 05 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Guys! Im currently running a cat back sebring exhaust sustem with straight through centre on my 1.6 sport. Im thinking of getting a decat and manifold to stand me in good stead for future modifications. If i get a piper decat will it go straight onto the sebring? and if it says 'with box' does that mean it has a dummy box so appears to be the cat?
In terms of manifolds, what do people think of the janspeed mild steel manifold? Should i see some reasonable gains from these? The exhaust note be unbearable will it? Thanks in advance for any replies! Cheers
broster
Premium Member

23rd Aug 05 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the piper decats with a box mean it has a silencer in there, they have a habbit of going and ratteling so get the cheaper one with no silencer. the janspeed manifold is good dont expect big gains from it tho
Corsa1600

23rd Aug 05 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the reply broster...I see! Is it worth it in your opinion? at the moment i have only the exhaust and k&n panel filter on engine wise. I might however be tempted in the future by replacement inlet and remap so i guess it is then they would really be of use! it seems that a new inlet is the most effective way of achieving gains.

I have looked around a bit through past posts however, and many of them seem to have ceased being made. Out of what is still available, what combination would you suggest? cheers, Phil
Will_Sport

23rd Aug 05 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

janspeed manifold and sports cat?

sports cat may cost more than decat but it'll save you a lot of time come MOT time. (and if ya get caught without cat you may get fined as much as you saved on a decat?)

15bhp would be about right... maybe get a remap if u've got the air flow better, get fuel to match
broster
Premium Member

24th Aug 05 at 05:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Will_Sport
janspeed manifold and sports cat?

sports cat may cost more than decat but it'll save you a lot of time come MOT time. (and if ya get caught without cat you may get fined as much as you saved on a decat?)

15bhp would be about right... maybe get a remap if u've got the air flow better, get fuel to match

you wont get 15bhp from a sports cat and a 4-2-1 manifold. maybe if you get an inlet you would.

dblis, lexmaul and manzel are still in production, regal sell manzel and dblis i think, need to contact lexmaul direct for theirs, i had the lexmaul one and was very impressed. if you aim for get the inlet manifold then get the exhaust aswell, if the air is getting in faster its going to want to get out faster

Corsa1600

24th Aug 05 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok....so out of the three still in production, how much am i looking at for each and would you reccomend any particular one? How much is the lexmaul, since you were impressed!

In terms of chip; what would people suggest? Ive heard reports that uniship/dastek are better than superchips etc, but then something about raised rev limit also! I dont want all the extra power to come in only at 5k+ if at all possible! Want substantial gains in torque also!

Cheers
broster
Premium Member

25th Aug 05 at 06:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you want torque and low down power then lexmaul is the one for you, think they go for £380ish, speak to jr on here he can point you in the right direction. with the lexmaul you dont need a remap or chip to be honest, unlike yo do with the manzel type inlet systems. if you want to get it chipped then get a unichip style remap, it is custom mapped to your car unlike a superchip.
Corsa1600

25th Aug 05 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay, so if i were to plump for the lexmaul, what would you say i should expect from it performance wise if i had a full exhaust system with decat and performance manifold? Would i see further gains from a unichip?

Also, are there any problems people encounter when fiting a decat and new manifold - ie mucking any sensors up or causing lights to come on dash etc.

Cheers
broster
Premium Member

25th Aug 05 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no problems with fitting the manifodl and decat.
you hgave a 1.6 16v yes? i had 140bhp with similar mods, but cams and headwork, so prob looking at 130with the remap.
Corsa1600

27th Aug 05 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

130bhp i would be pretty pleased with, i have heard cams dont work that well on the xe16xe or is that not right? If i were to get it up to 130bhp level, what sort of performance might i have in terms of 0-60 do you think?
pavorotti

27th Aug 05 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0-60 in 8 secs??? if i was u i would get dbillas or mantzel but u will find it hard to get a mantzel cuz i did! those boxes are more fun has when im racing other corsas or vtrs its level at around 5k revs but then i take them cuz there car is dying and mines saying give me more and they just look and think wats going on?

remeber u have cars like the type r wat performance comes in at around 5 k
so wat u will find his the guy your racing against is waisting time changing gear while your at peak performance!

lexmaul must be good if broster has one!

[Edited on 27-08-2005 by pavorotti]
Corsa1600

27th Aug 05 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would be nice having that performance! And yeah I can understand what your saying, but i dont really race around all that much, not against other cars anyway!
Its just, before i spend loads of money splashing out on expensive engine work/parts, i want to make sure its worth it. I mean, would my money be better spent paying someone to fit a 2.0 engine or some thing. You think insurance would be out of this world for a 20/21 year old on a 2.0 corsa? Do you know whether with a 2.0 conversion you can still have aircon etc? And what sort of price would you expect to pay for someone to do such a conversion, supplying the engine too? Had a look at regal site and it was like £3500. That about right? If i were to put one in i would like quite a new engine with air con etc!
pavorotti

27th Aug 05 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1500-2000 i say but iv seen conversions and some end up rattley in the engine bay cuz there not realy for that car and u also av to upgrade lots of other stuff like brakes and stuff!

get throtlle bodies!
if u dont race dont bother i say!

New Poll