corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » loud squeek/squeal type noise when cold ???? Help needed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author loud squeek/squeal type noise when cold ???? Help needed
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Nov 06 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car X14XE has a squeek/squeal type noise when i turn it on in the morning... if i rev it a bit, the pitch of the squeal rises a little, but after a minute or so, its gone... Immediately i suspected the drive (aux) belt, but that looks ok, not frayed or anything...

I'm beginning to think it might be the auto tensioner the engines running (no power steering or air con) as there is the sound of a spring rattling when i rev it when warm, which could have something to do with it aswell ??

Sorry for the essay, but any help or a vague price of a new tensioner would be appreciated !!

Cheers

Steve

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by Mase]

Mase
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

1st Nov 06 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alternator belt slipping probably. either a new belt or check the tensioner
Mase
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could I use some of that anti slip stuff ??

How hard is it to change the belt itself ?? It doesn't look too hard, but how do I approach the tensioner ??

Mase
Mase
Premium Member

2nd Nov 06 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt any more opinions ?? I had a quick look this morning and its definately coming from the aux belt or tensioner... but it doesn't look old or frayed or anything, so i'm a little confused...

Mase
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

2nd Nov 06 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first thing to do is to remove the alternator belt. (much easier if you dont have aircon) then start it up. if the squeek is gone, try an new belt.
Mase
Premium Member

2nd Nov 06 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, i'll give it a crack at the weekend.....

Mase

New Poll