corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Intermittent problems with my car It keeps stalling ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Intermittent problems with my car It keeps stalling ?
stewart_2004

User status: Offline
5th Dec 07 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys Ive got a corsa B 1.2 8v and its been running fine until recently. It has started cutting out for no reason, its happend on the motorway when i was doing 70+ it just cut out and it does it when at traffic lights or coming up to junctions. Ive had it into a garage and they did checks on it which came back with fueling problems and ive had the stepper motor and petentiomiter changed by the garage all has been fine for afew weeks unitl it cut out again last night its not showing any fault codes.

Any one have any ideas ?

cheers

Stew

[Edited on 12-12-2007 by stewart_2004]
mattievRS

5th Dec 07 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this and it turned out to be the crank pulley that had slipped on its keyway
stewart_2004

5th Dec 07 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply m17tty is it easy to fix ?
Ben ev

5th Dec 07 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i believe these are sigle point injection. whens the last time it had a fuel filter?
stewart_2004

5th Dec 07 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben Ive had the car just under 2 years and I havent replaced the fuel filter. Do you think that could be the problem
stewart_2004

6th Dec 07 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

replaced the fuel filter last night and it dosent hold back in lower gears now and it hasn't stalled yet lol
stewart_2004

12th Dec 07 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car has been fine for the past few days but today it decided to cut out again on my way to work the revs dropped to 0 I put my foot on accelerator and it fired up so it cut out and came back on in a matter of seconds any ideas whats happening ?
Seirrah

12th Dec 07 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stewart_2004
replaced the fuel filter last night and it dosent hold back in lower gears now and it hasn't stalled yet lol

My car (when working) would very often 'hold back' at junctions. Basically it can have big flat spots, where the revs do not rise at all.
Is getting a new fuel filter worth it? (Although the reason my car won't start at the moment might be linked to this flatspot problem, and therefore could be fixed once this big problem is fixed.)
stewart_2004

12th Dec 07 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it only cost £8 for a fuel filter and 30 mins fitting so its not that bad mine has never been changed so just wanted to see if it made a diffrence.
mark_gsi

12th Dec 07 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by m17tty
i had this and it turned out to be the crank pulley that had slipped on its keyway

same with mine kept cutting out, gettin worse and worse wouldnt drive then wouldnt start at all. find out its the crack pully. getting it fixxed on sat
Seirrah

12th Dec 07 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mine now won't start either. Getting it looked at tomorrow and hopefully the problem will be indentified.
Is a crank pulley problem a biggy in terms of cost?
mark_gsi

12th Dec 07 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well for 2 new pullys inside and out its costing me £78 just in parts and thats trade so god no's how much it will be normal price. the cam belt etc has to be took of and fan belt. my mates doing mine for me luckily. it was runing shit and just kept gettin slower and worse and then all of a sudden it just wouldnt start due to timing been out put crank pully back on started first time straight away but its worn on inside.
stewart_2004

12th Dec 07 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will have a look at crank pulley how will I know if it has slipped
mattievRS

12th Dec 07 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the alternator belt off and from the driver side wheel get a E20 torx socket and loosen the crank bolt off then screw it back on finger tight.next put your hand on the pulley and try moving it left to right and back again.if theres play due to slippage it'll move maybe a couple of mm either way.I would however take the bolt all the way out and look at the back of the pulley and the bottom crank timing sprocket on the area you took the pulley off.if its slipped you will be able to see no probs! It happened on mine and minced the timing sprocket and made the keyway on the pulley 4mm bigger than it should be.If its ok make sure when you put it back on you tighten it well as it'll come loose and slip then!!The easiest way is to put it in 5th gear and get someone to apply the brakes whilst you swing on it like fuck.or get an angle guage and a haynes for the torque settings.
mattievRS

12th Dec 07 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and i trust you have checked plugs and leads?
stewart_2004

12th Dec 07 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi m17tty Thanks for that yeah checked leads and plugs will look into pulley
stewart_2004

13th Dec 07 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well its off to Vaux today for a free diagnostic check
byrnie_2004

13th Dec 07 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

let us know the outcome mate, mines doing this aswell.
stewart_2004

14th Dec 07 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok got it to Vaux yesterday and there tech 1 was playing up and wouldnt turn on. The mechanic had a look round and said it looks like the ignition coil and module. He recommended to get a 2nd hand one from scrap yard instead of paying there prices lol.
stewart_2004

7th Jan 08 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to get my car checked at the weekend on the diagnostics and no codes showed up. The guy said that I should change the dizzy as the one I have now is a lucas one he advised me to get a bosh one could this help the problem ?

New Poll