corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » It just will not pass its MOT

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author It just will not pass its MOT
Richardhhha

User status: Offline
21st Jan 08 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok my cars doing my nut in....

its a X14XE was running with a 4-1 manifold, sport cat and janspeed center and rear, did a emissions test on it when i put the cat on it and it passed after reving the nutts off it to super heat the cat but thats understandable..

now my mot is due and i put it in, well surprise surprise it failed on CO only on CO

now i took the sport cat off and put the origenal center and rear and cat back on the car and it has taken its Co reading from a very tree killing 1.3 down to a more placid 0.6 now i dont have the secondary air pump on the car as the manifold wont accomidate that... and the manifold has the lamda sencor on cyl 3 so i dought thats helping, now what im considering is that i should put the old manifold back on with the air pump, just wondering wether anyone thinks this will help as its going to cost me a fair bit in bolts....

just need to drop the C0 reading by 0.3 or more
csweatherston

21st Jan 08 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stuff something (like a rag) in your backbox....
it'll stop the air from sucking back into your exhaust, should get it down atleast .3
CORZA_2007

21st Jan 08 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi my car has just been through the mot and i had a problem with the emissions it had a FAULTY cat and lamda sensor.

have u had a look to see it's not your lamda sensor not faulty
Superlite Ltd.

21st Jan 08 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a small leak in the system will make CO fail
TomSBD

21st Jan 08 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a small leak will make the lambda reading fail.
try changing your oil if it hasnt been done in a while
luke85

21st Jan 08 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The secondary air injection system wont help you im afraid, It doesnt do anything after the first 2 minutes and I never had a problem passing my MOT without it.

Lambda sensors are the most normal reason for failing the emissions, Had 2 fail myself so Id swap it with a mates if your tight, if not Id buy a new one
Richardhhha

22nd Jan 08 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh well got a new lambda sensor comming and new Air intake temp sensor aiting for me at me local vauxhall dealer, costing me a grand total of £90.59 lets hope it passes now...... as my mot runs out half way through next week...
Dean_W

22nd Jan 08 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
The secondary air injection system wont help you im afraid, It doesnt do anything after the first 2 minutes and I never had a problem passing my MOT without it.

Lambda sensors are the most normal reason for failing the emissions, Had 2 fail myself so Id swap it with a mates if your tight, if not Id buy a new one

Agreed.

I changed the CTS on my 1.6. That helped.
ryan_fowler1985

22nd Jan 08 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ cts will make a difference, although the lambda shouldnt idealy be in cylinder 3 it should be on the part where all the gases are togther to read correctly
Richardhhha

22nd Jan 08 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i know but whats really getting up my goat, is that the car passed not 6 months ago when i put my sport cat and manifold and center n rear on the car, and now its almost back to standard and it still don't like me, i changed the cts recently as the car was drinking fuel like it was going out of fashion, which cured that, but its still failing the co. Cars been serviced every 3k on the dot and the only other thing i haven't changed yet is putting a new set of plugs in it.
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jan 08 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why you geting a new mot after 6 months
luke85

22nd Jan 08 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lambda sensors have usually had it after 50,000 miles anyway, they become slow to react then fail altogether.

bosch recommend they will last 50,000km!
Gareth F

23rd Jan 08 at 01:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The secondary air pump is totally useless in the country. Its only needed in countries where they test emissions from start of key so it pumps air in to the cat to heat it up quicker. You can just rip it out and put a blanking cap over the manifold. To be honest it just makes my exhaust pop like mad when its running
Richardhhha

24th Jan 08 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh blody car, just put it through another emmisions test today, after putting a new lambda and AIT sensor on it, well it was saying fail for a fair time then the alues dropped and wahay it was passing the fast idal..... then you have to let it idel naturally so i did and the bloody thing failed by 0.025 not a happy bunny here, then i tryed doing the tests again and it was just failing everytime,,,,, i am taking the car to a different mot station tonight to see if its the machine..
p1723944

25th Jan 08 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did it pass Richardhhha ?
Richardhhha

25th Jan 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well took it to me old work place, was reading worse there than it did at me new place.... decided its got to be the cat as when it gets hot it must be breaking down.

went euro carparts today and picked one up for £61.99 inc slapped it on after work today and regigged all the exhaust so it doesnt have clearance issues with the rear beam.. got to wait till tomorrow to put it on the analizer so fingers corssed it passes!!

because i dont have a clue what else it could be if it dont pass...
Richardhhha

26th Jan 08 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done an emission test again and it bloody failed again, the hc is at about 175 the c0 went down to 0.24 which is great, the lambda was running at 0.988 minimum is 0.980 the hc is to high and it keeps pushing the c0 up so bearing in mind it has problems on motorway, where the car would pull fine then have no power, im thinking its a map sensor now, im getting pissed off with everyone at work keeps saying injectors or engine. God i am getting so fed up with it, also have got twin prong sp in at the mo they are 10,000 old so might change them and hope it works aswell.
Vaux Lad

26th Jan 08 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally, the engine should pass the emissions test EASILY
Not just scrape through.

So yours does have a problem or two.

You dont have a FSE fuel regulator or anything fitted do you?

Did you change the cts?
Richardhhha

26th Jan 08 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

changed the cts did nothing to emiisions, dont have a fse or anything like that.... im resetting the ecu so i can see if the car will relurn its factors as it did have a problem where it was cutting out going down motorway one day, hasemt happened since tho and there are no codes when i do a paperclip test,
Richardhhha

28th Jan 08 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well put the old exhaust manifold back on the car today, checked the plugs before i started it and they were black as night.

cleaned them up and took the car for a run about 30mile and they were just off tan which is ace..

now my big question if the fucker dont pass the emmisions test tomorrow im going to burn it!!

should do everythings running good and its back as standard.... hope it passes.

anyhoo whilst in me delvings under my bonnet i found this round back of engine wondering af anyone has any clue what the f it is..

luke85

28th Jan 08 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks like the pug for the electronic speedo sender. Does your speedo work or has it been converted to cable?
Richardhhha

29th Jan 08 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a 95plate mate so had cable as standared.

would like digi speedo as then i can take my clocks out without the bloody hastle of taking the cable off the box.
Richardhhha

30th Jan 08 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok did a emissions test on it yesterdaY lunchtime, and it passed woohoo now its booked in for today, so i should have my mot done at last
DYL

30th Jan 08 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what if that test was just lucky? and it will fail on the MOT?

only kidding...good luck mate

New Poll